GRE Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xXIDaShizIXx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, what are good GRE scores, or about the average for Psy.D. Programs? I don't mean neurotic SDN scores like a perfect 170 on each section either! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the average is nationwide, but individual programs should have the numbers for recent incoming classes posted on their websites.

I was told to aim for 1300+ on the old scale to be safe, but that certainly wasn't average. If I had to make a guess for traditional university-based clinical psych programs (because those were the only ones I looked into and can make any sort of guess for, and again on the old scale), I'd say upper 1100's or lower 1200's.

I'm not sure what the average is nationwide, but individual programs should have the numbers for recent incoming classes posted on their websites.

I was told to aim for 1300+ on the old scale to be safe, but that certainly wasn't average. If I had to make a guess for traditional university-based clinical psych programs (because those were the only ones I looked into and can make any sort of guess for, and again on the old scale), I'd say upper 1100's or lower 1200's.

So, using a conversion scale that would be about 150 in each section, is that about right anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
So, using a conversion scale that would be about 150 in each section, is that about right anyone?

Given the huge re-centering of the quant subtest, it's likely going to depend. From what I remember, psych programs typically tend to have higher quant scores on average (my personal scores were the opposite, surprisingly enough). Thus, it's probably in the low- to mid-150's for quant and upper-150's for verbal.

I have no idea how accurate that actually is, though.

Again, checking the individual websites of programs in which you're interested would probably be your best bet, as there's some variability.

Given the huge re-centering of the quant subtest, it's likely going to depend. From what I remember, psych programs typically tend to have higher quant scores on average (my personal scores were the opposite, surprisingly enough). Thus, it's probably in the low- to mid-150's for quant and upper-150's for verbal.

I have no idea how accurate that actually is, though.

Again, checking the individual websites of programs in which you're interested would probably be your best bet, as there's some variability.

That actually sounds about right, anyone else know for sure?

Yes, about a 150 in each section, though I got about a 1210-1220 on the old scale with my horribly lopsided scores. So horrible I'm taking again. I got a V-161 and a Q-148. I'm partly convinced my kinda bad quant score kept me from doing so well in my apps this past cycle so I don't wanna chance using it again. Giving ETS more money is killing me. -_-

Anyway, I think its best to try to get more balanced scores rather than just getting the combined average.

Yes, about a 150 in each section, though I got about a 1210-1220 on the old scale with my horribly lopsided scores. So horrible I'm taking again. I got a V-161 and a Q-148. I'm partly convinced my kinda bad quant score kept me from doing so well in my apps this past cycle so I don't wanna chance using it again. Giving ETS more money is killing me. -_-

Anyway, I think its best to try to get more balanced scores rather than just getting the combined average.

Fortunately I did the first time around, so hopefully I'll get in somewhere the first time. Good luck on the second time around! I'm sure you'll do fine!:)

We have the exact same score! And my quant performance was mentioned in every interview I went to, so I agree, it's better to be balanced in both than excel in one and bomb the other, leading to an average score. I am also retaking the GRE... hoping to pull something like a 162 and 158, fingers crossed.

We have the exact same score! And my quant performance was mentioned in every interview I went to, so I agree, it's better to be balanced in both than excel in one and bomb the other, leading to an average score. I am also retaking the GRE... hoping to pull something like a 162 and 158, fingers crossed.

When are you going to take it again? Hopefully the first one I took is good enough to get me in. :D