GRE scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

antidentite

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two part question for anyone on the board who has experience applying to ortho schools and has taken the GRE.

what is a general score to shoot for and how important are these scores. it seems as if this is just another hoop to jump through, but i do not want to underestimate the importance if there is any. after doing a search on past threads it looks as if they just want to make sure you can score an 1100. is that accurate?

also, for anyone applying or who has already applied, do montefiore, stony brook, or NYU require the GRE for ortho applications? can not find it on their websites. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

antidentite said:
Two part question for anyone on the board who has experience applying to ortho schools and has taken the GRE.

what is a general score to shoot for and how important are these scores. it seems as if this is just another hoop to jump through, but i do not want to underestimate the importance if there is any. after doing a search on past threads it looks as if they just want to make sure you can score an 1100. is that accurate?

also, for anyone applying or who has already applied, do montefiore, stony brook, or NYU require the GRE for ortho applications? can not find it on their websites. thanks.

1100 is too low. I'd shoot for 1200. The score is really important especially if your gpa or rank is lower than the norm. It's basically just one more thing to compare with.

shopaholic said:
1100 is too low. I'd shoot for 1200. The score is really important especially if your gpa or rank is lower than the norm. It's basically just one more thing to compare with.

i have also heard to shoot for 1200

Members don't see this ad :)
texas_dds said:
i have also heard to shoot for 1200

I can only speak from limited experience, but at our progam GRE scores weren't really even considered when evaluating applicants UNLESS you had a REALLY bad score...for what it's worth ;)

drben said:
I can only speak from limited experience, but at our progam GRE scores weren't really even considered when evaluating applicants UNLESS you had a REALLY bad score...for what it's worth ;)
what is the total score you can receive