GRE the second time was better in one section but worse in another, which to send?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptverno

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon SDN,

I am currently looking at graduate schools to apply for a DPT degree. I attend Drexel University with an overall GPA of 3.21 and science GPA of 3.23. I have had 1000 hours of experience at an orthopedic outpatient private practice working with people ranging from ages 12-90, as well as 50 hours at another university clinic with a focus on sports related injuries of individuals at the collegiate level. I am not a very good standardized test taker, and I have read a lot of the threads on sending multiple GRE scores to PT schools.

the first time I took the GRE I received 148 verbal 150 quantitative - 4 writing
the SECOND time I took the GRE I received 143 verbal 155 quantitative - 4 writing

So my dilemma falls into whether I should just send the first score to my schools, or both scores? I know it is often good to show increases in scores, but I did not hear anyone talk about a decrease either. Thank you so much for your time and hopefully I can get enough responses over the weekend so I can send scores this coming Monday.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Good afternoon SDN,

I am currently looking at graduate schools to apply for a DPT degree. I attend Drexel University with an overall GPA of 3.21 and science GPA of 3.23. I have had 1000 hours of experience at an orthopedic outpatient private practice working with people ranging from ages 12-90, as well as 50 hours at another university clinic with a focus on sports related injuries of individuals at the collegiate level. I am not a very good standardized test taker, and I have read a lot of the threads on sending multiple GRE scores to PT schools.

the first time I took the GRE I received 148 verbal 150 quantitative - 4 writing
the SECOND time I took the GRE I received 143 verbal 155 quantitative - 4 writing

So my dilemma falls into whether I should just send the first score to my schools, or both scores? I know it is often good to show increases in scores, but I did not hear anyone talk about a decrease either. Thank you so much for your time and hopefully I can get enough responses over the weekend so I can send scores this coming Monday.

Thank you!
Hey ! Here's my opinion- according to my research, schools are more focused on verbal score compared to the quant score. Therefore because your verbal score is higher in the first time I think you should def. choose that one. The other option is to send both scores and the school will choose the highest score (most schools do that). I have seen a TON of posts from students about their gre stats and a lot of ppl's scores have declined in the 2nd time they take it. I think you will be fine either way. Good luck!

Hey ! Here's my opinion- according to my research, schools are more focused on verbal score compared to the quant score. Therefore because your verbal score is higher in the first time I think you should def. choose that one. The other option is to send both scores and the school will choose the highest score (most schools do that). I have seen a TON of posts from students about their gre stats and a lot of ppl's scores have declined in the 2nd time they take it. I think you will be fine either way. Good luck!
Hello thank you for your response! I am just afraid that having a 143 on the verbal the second time will draw an immediate red flag to the admissions committee as to why I dropped from 38 percentile to 19th.

Thank you so much for your opinion, I hope other will be able to send their feedback as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on where you apply. Focus on the schools that accept the best attempt and send both.

Depends on where you apply. Focus on the schools that accept the best attempt and send both.
I apologize for being unaware, but how would I know if school accept best attempts? Would I just call and ask, is that unusual to do so? Thank you for your feedback.

I would either call or shoot an email to the department and they'll be able to tell you. You can also ask what kind of averages they are looking for in a competitive applicant and they should be able to tell you as well

I would either call or shoot an email to the department and they'll be able to tell you. You can also ask what kind of averages they are looking for in a competitive applicant and they should be able to tell you as well
Thank you for that advice, I will call schools when their offices open again Monday morning.

Any other input from this community on this issue will be greatly appreciated! So it is either, sending the first score, or both scores. Thank you everyone in advance!

Do any other members have opinions on this topic while I wait for offices to open on Monday? All your advice has been great so far, thank you all.

I would look at stats of previously accepted classes and go from there. Additionally I would check minimum accepted scores as several schools I applied to did not accept less than 150/150/3.

I would look at stats of previously accepted classes and go from there. Additionally I would check minimum accepted scores as several schools I applied to did not accept less than 150/150/3.
Hello somo47, thank you for your input. Various schools I am planning to apply to are 150/150/3. However some of the schools require just a combined score of 290 or greater. So at that point is it worth it to send the first score and hope for being under the minimum for verbal would be acceptable, or send the 2 for a "best attempt" for schools that need 290 or higher AND the schools requiring 150/150. Thanks again.

Hello somo47, thank you for your input. Various schools I am planning to apply to are 150/150/3. However some of the schools require just a combined score of 290 or greater. So at that point is it worth it to send the first score and hope for being under the minimum for verbal would be acceptable, or send the 2 for a "best attempt" for schools that need 290 or higher AND the schools requiring 150/150. Thanks again.
I'm not comfortable giving definitive answers without knowing what the school policies are that you are applying to. Generally, from what I understand, schools throw out the applications that don't meet minimum requirements before ever reviewing them in person so as long as you meet minimum requirements it may be worth sending in your GRE scores.