GRE troubles; what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meadow36

UF CVM 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took the GRE for the third time today. The first 2 times I took it were both last year. I got approx a 1060 the first time (with basically no prep) and a 1140 the second time.

This year I took a GRE review course, made study cards, and did a gizillion practice exams - only to do TERRIBLE on the Quant section. I did okay on the verbal (590) but for some reason I was really cloudy and confused on the Quant and I was going so slow that I had to randomly guess on the last 10 questions. In practice I was getting 680+ consistently. Then came the time to decide if I wanted the scores. I KNEW I should've ditched the score, but I accepted it anyway (thinking I'm always so hard on myself and maybe it wasn't that bad). But this time it WAS bad - 570 :scared:. That is 50 points lower than my last Quant score, leaving me with a 1160. My goal was to get above a 1250.

I am so upset and pissed off with myself. One, for not trusting my gut to ditch the score and walk away; and two, for being so stupid that even after months of preparation I still can't do well on this pathetic test. In fact - I did worse on the Quant, the most important part!! :confused:

I was banking on improving my GRE score to boost my application, since my GPA is subpar (3.3). Now I'm wondering if it's even worth applying to schools at all. I am going to spend almost $1000 on applications and I feel like my application is going to be tossed aside without a second look.

I could possibly take the GRE AGAIN for a 4th time on Oct 1st - but how bad will that look? Of course I run the risk of getting an even LOWER score!! At the rate I'm going, the harder I try the worse I do (my best Quant score was on the first test). I don't know. I'm so depressed, I can't believe I did so terribly, and then didn't even have the forethought to ditch the score. I don't know what the heck is wrong with me. I'm in tears.

So - I know this is a long ramble / vent, but I'd appreciate some honest advice. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Meadow,

I'm sorry to hear about your GRE troubles. I know that it feels awful to not meet your goal, and that it's really frustrating to feel like your output doesn't match your input. With that said, try to keep in mind that it's just 1 component of your application.

I'm sure that the rest of your application is really strong- take pride in that! The GRE isn't really the best test anyway (and everyone knows it- including graduate schools). Besides, your scores are NOT bad- stop beating yourself up!

Chin up- I don't think it's worth your time/money/worry to take the test again, but that's just me...

Hope you feel better! :oops:

Hey Meadow,

I know it sounds and feels terrible to get less than what you hoped to score... but if it brings you any comfort, I scored a 650Q, 520V on my GRE and interviewed at 3 schools. My total GRE score is only 10 points higher than what you got total.

I'm not any good at standardized tests like the SAT or GRE. I remember after I took the GRE thinking that I wasn't going to get into vet school, but definitely remember that other parts of your application count as well!

GOOD LUCK!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Meadow, if you don't mind me asking, what is your science and last 45 unit GPA?

Also, some school take the highest scores from all three sections (I can't remember which ones though). My GPA is about the same as yours but I'm only applying to schools that look at mainly last 45 hours not overall GPA (ie Kansas, U of Minn, Miss). I do understand your frustration, standardized tests have never been my friend either.

P.S. I got a 1200 (580V, 620Q) on my second try and I decided to be happy with that. I got a 480Q (Yowza!!) the first time, retook ALL of my math (I'm a non-trad) from algebra to calculus which helped wipe off the cobwebs. Anyways, I think 1150 is the average for many vet schools.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. I guess I am really upset with myself for two reasons:

#1 - I KNEW I should have cancelled the scores, but I didn't, and
#2 - I spent a lot of time preparing and a lot of money (course, books, etc) and I don't have any improvement to show for it. :mad:

Ugh. Oh well. So I guess taking it for a fourth time would look pretty bad, huh? :thumbdown:

I haven't calculated my last 45 in a while, I've taken more classes so it should have gone up a bit (maybe ~3.5? I'm not sure).

LucyLoo - I've got a similar school list - UMinn, Miss State, UFL (IS), Illinois, Iowa State, Edinburgh, RVC, and Colorado (my "reach" school; plus they claim to take a "hollistic" approach to the apps). I can't apply to KSU - a lot of my pre-reqs or more than 6 years old.

Lastly, I do have A LOT of experience in several different areas. Probably more than most applicants. However, it doesn't count if I can't get past the first cutoff for grades / GRE scores!!

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I do feel a little better today, although I'm still so disappointed with myself. Yesterday I was in tears. :(

Keep your head up! I took it twice and my scores are almost identical to yours. The scores are in the mean so it will not hurt or help your application. Solidify your personal statement and your experiences should take you a long way. I'm rooting for you!

Aww, I'm sorry Meadow.
Sometimes I think the GRE is a ridiculous test for pre-vet medicine.
I honestly feel that I would have done better on the MCAT, given my undergraduate major and all the pre-veterinary pre-reqs I took!
But Oh well... at least we don't have to wait 4 weeks for our scores and be tested on physics like my pre-med classmates.:rolleyes:

good luck!

Meadow...
Coming from someone that took the test four times and had a score lower than yours I would say don't worry that much. I applied last year and I knew that the GRE was going to be my major downfall, but hoped that my other stuff would pull me through. Granted, there were schools that just pushed my application aside, but I did end up getting two interviews and into one of the schools. I took a look at the schools that didn't look at the GRE as much and applied to those.

Basically...I just wanted to tell you to keep your head up, becaue I know exactly how you are feeling. Hopefully everything will work out for you.

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted! Anyway, I'd just like to point out that I took the GRE a handful of times, never even broke 1000, and I got accepted to vet school on my first try. Aside from that, your scores are pretty good already, so I definitely wouldn't stress about it!

LucyLoo - I've got a similar school list - UMinn, Miss State, UFL (IS), Illinois, Iowa State, Edinburgh, RVC, and Colorado (my "reach" school; plus they claim to take a "hollistic" approach to the apps). I can't apply to KSU - a lot of my pre-reqs or more than 6 years old.

Just because some of your pre-reqs are old doesn't mean you can't apply to KSU (at least it didn't in 2006). My math, physics, gen chem, liberal arts stuff, and statistics were all much older than that. I emailed the dean (I think it was him) and got an exemption. Of course, all my biology plus my organic and bich were very recent.

Hi meadow. I don't know if things have changed now or if I just got lucky, but when I applied to KSU some of my prereqs were 7 years old and I ended up getting in. I remember wondering if they were going to mention that to me in my interview but no one did. I feel your pain with the GRE. It was the bane of my existence for a long time. Good luck with everything!

Last edited:
Thanks to those KSU'ers with the info. I have tried to e-mail the admissions people - the address on the website - but twice I have not gotten a response. I hate to spend the money on the application without knowing if they will accept the older pre-reqs. Anyone have a better e-mail address I can use?

Honestly, I don't think your score is that bad... I got an 1160 and here I am. Don't worry too much about it.:thumbup:

I've tried emailing KSU twice with no response also and am currently playing phone tag with their dean.

Edit: I did get an email response and talked to the dean. Dr. Elmore is very nice if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Meadow,

The average GRE at UFL last year was 1199. Your 1140 is close enough. 50% of people are below average (usually). If anything, there are some stars (1600) bringing up the average from the above-normals (1100). Your 3.5 GPA is good, and it's something you can work on to make it higher. On average, those offered interviews last year had a 3.5 GPA. I wouldn't sweat it. Worry about the other parts of your application!

GOOD NEWS - Kansas returned my e-mail and waived the 6 year requirement, so they are now on my list!! :)

For anyone in the same shoes as me - give them a call or e-mail. They are flexible about the 6 year thing, particularly if you've been continuing your education in other classes.