GRE vent and advice needed.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wheelchairpsychgirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I got a tutor for the GRE. I am currently majoring in SW and will be finished by next summer to start doubling in psych next fall. She had me take a diagnostic. I got a 158 V and a 140 Q. I had to take a semester off school so I thought I'd take it now and get it over with. What scores should I be getting? And will my scores be too old when I apply in fall of16? I want to go into school psych. Sorry for the vent. Feeling deflated.

Members don't see this ad.

PhD. I would like to teach at the college level at some point. I will apply to a mix of Eds and psyds.

Your Verbal score of 158 is pretty good but not great. I would think it is around the 75th percentile but you will have to check the latest numbers for that.

The Quantitative score of 140 is a bit more concerning. A quant score of 140 would likely be very limiting at most if not all schools such that they may discount your application based on that alone. I am not positive about school psych programs, but I would think anything below a 150 would be looked down upon, and ideally something in the 155-160 range would be preferable.

It might be good to get the test out of the way since you have time now, but you should not take the test unless you feel prepared, given you have time remaining. The good news is that the Quantitative score is absolutely one that can be brought up through practice. Math may not be the most fun, and much of the math on the GRE may be things you have not used in some time, but it seems to be that most find their math score increase after significant study and preparation. You mentioned you have a tutor? That could help, there are also tons of self-directed books for learning the mathematical concepts and practice tests that may be of help.

Best of luck.