Technology Great alternative for those that CAN'T pay for a MacBookPro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was about to shell out a large sum of money to buy a MacBookPro when I stopped into Best Buy and saw this baby: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ategoryId=pcmcat103700050014&id=1180743549187

Here are the specs:
Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year limited

Warranty Terms - Labor 1 year limited

Product Height 1.6"

Product Width 14.1"

Product Weight 6.8 lbs.

Product Depth 10.1"

Processor Brand -AMD Turion(TM) 64 X2

Processor Speed -1.8GHz

Display Type- WXGA high-definition widescreen with BrightView technology (1280 x 800)

Screen Size- 15.4"

System Bus- Up to 1600MHz

Cache Memory-512KB + 512KB on die Level 2

System Memory (RAM)-2GB

System Memory (RAM) Expandable To -Nonexpandable

Type of Memory (RAM)-DDR2

Hard Drive Type-SATA (5400 rpm)

Hard Drive Size-160GB

Optical Drive-Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW

Direct-Disc Labeling-No

Digital Media Reader or Slots-Yes, digital media card reader

Diskette Drive- No

Graphics-NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 (UMA)

Video Memory-Up to 559MB total available graphics memory

MPEG- Yes

Modem 56 Kbps*
*Capable of receiving 56 Kbps downloads. However, current regulations limit download speed to 53 Kbps.

Networking- Built-in 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)

Wireless Networking- Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g)

S-Video Outputs-1

Additional Audio/Video Connectors 1 SPDIF digital audio out

Audio- Altec Lansing

PCMCIA Slots- 1 ExpressCard 34/54

USB 2.0 Ports- 3

IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports-1

Battery Type Lithium-ion

Pointing Device Touchpad with on/off and dedicated vertical scroll up/down pad

Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium

Included Software Microsoft Works; Adobe Acrobat Reader; Hewlett-Packard QuickPlay, Photosmart Essentials; muvee autoProducer Basic Edition; Roxio Creator 9 Basic and more

Included Accessories HP mobile remote, ear bud headphones

The kicker for me was that it cost $899 AND it has a 1.3 MP built in webcam just like the MBP. I wanted the MBP so I could do video editing with Final cut pro, but I already have the Avid Video Editing software which is what they used to make the movie Transformers. So yeah, I almost went to the dark trendy side, but the cost effectivness and quality of this HP held me back. I'm typing this to you on this laptop now and I LOVE IT!

Members don't see this ad.

Why not just get a regular MacBook?

...that 6.8 lbs is approaching heavy!

yea, 6.8 is really heavy for a 14.1 inch laptop. I also prefer Intel chips because that;s what I know, but I also got an hp laptop, just a lighter one.

I also plan on doing osme video editing, but since my camera broke, I can't upload my raw footage onto the computer, so I havent tested it out yet. I also considered a macbook, but I'm happy with my video software that I ow but am yet to instal, and the screen n my laptop is nice and sharp.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not just get a regular MacBook?

...that 6.8 lbs is approaching heavy!
Lol, I'll take that $800 I saved and get a membership at Balley's in order to carry it :). I still think Macs area really really cool and trendy, but if you are on a tight budget the HP is the way to go; especially with that 1.3 MP built in webcam.

Most of the attraction of a MacBook Pro is OS X - other than the OS, its a regular 'ol PC and sure, I'd purchase a ThinkPad in a heart beat if it would run OS X. ;)

Most of the attraction of a MacBook Pro is OS X - other than the OS, its a regular 'ol PC and sure, I'd purchase a ThinkPad in a heart beat if it would run OS X. ;)

I really don't understand the MB Pro attraction when the smaller, lighter, slightly less powerful, and much cheaper Macbook is out there. Am I missing something here? Do med students really need a graphics card (why not just buy a PS3)? Or the slightly faster processor?

I don't really understand what you're going for OP. If you just want to point out a decent laptop for med students, do it. Brining up the MacBook Pro is pointless, because it is in a different class than this machine. Simply looking at the processor alone will show you that this HP runs with an AMD chip. The Core 2s in the MBP wipe the floor with it, especially in something like the video processing you mentioned. It also has integrated graphics, meaning up to 25% of your main memory could be confiscated during intensive graphics activity. The MBP has no such limitation. Then you have the 30% higher thickness, higher weight, etc. etc.

You wouldn't say a Ford Focus was a cheaper alternative to a BMW just because it has cup holders and headlights for the same reason. The Focus is a decent car for those who don't have the money, but what does the BMW have to do with anything? It's just in a different class altogether.

I really don't understand the MB Pro attraction when the smaller, lighter, slightly less powerful, and much cheaper Macbook is out there. Am I missing something here? Do med students really need a graphics card (why not just buy a PS3)? Or the slightly faster processor?
There are a decent amount of features the Pros have over the regular MacBooks. Whether the extra cost is worth it will depend on what you're doing and what your priorities are. I personally will be going for the consumer-level model, but here are a few things you'll get with the Pro:

better processor (w/ newer Santa Rosa chipset), LED backlighting, dedicated nvidia graphics, more memory (in the standard config), higher resolution and larger screen, dual-link DVI output, ExpressCard support, choice of glossy or matte screen, and keyboard backlighting.

A photoshop guru, for instance, might appreciate the dual-link DVI output because they can use a high-res screen like the Apple 30" cinema display. Gamers (who like some games that are PC-only) or graphics professionals would obviously want to go for the dedicated GPU.

Almost all med students would be served fine by the consumer MacBook since they'll be doing internet, email, MS Office, etc.

There are a decent amount of features the Pros have over the regular MacBooks. Whether the extra cost is worth it will depend on what you're doing and what your priorities are. I personally will be going for the consumer-level model, but here are a few things you'll get with the Pro:

better processor (w/ newer Santa Rosa chipset), LED backlighting, dedicated nvidia graphics, more memory (in the standard config), higher resolution and larger screen, dual-link DVI output, ExpressCard support, choice of glossy or matte screen, and keyboard backlighting.

A photoshop guru, for instance, might appreciate the dual-link DVI output because they can use a high-res screen like the Apple 30" cinema display. Gamers (who like some games that are PC-only) or graphics professionals would obviously want to go for the dedicated GPU.

Almost all med students would be served fine by the consumer MacBook since they'll be doing internet, email, MS Office, etc.

:thumbup: good summary...it just seems like alot of SDNers have been raving about the MBP when I'm sure 90% really would be better off (in terms of portability and price vs. the benefits you outlined) with the MB.

:thumbup: good summary...it just seems like alot of SDNers have been raving about the MBP when I'm sure 90% really would be better off (in terms of portability and price vs. the benefits you outlined) with the MB.
I dunno. If money were no object, I would probably get a Pro as well. My girlfriend took hers back and forth to class, and it didn't seem like a big deal. My reasoning is based mostly on price. Initally, I was going to splurge, but then I realized I could get a MacBook and a pretty nice LCD display for less than the Pro. I think that will give me the best of both worlds -- a nice big screen at home (my main issue with the MB) combined with the portability of the smaller size.

I don't really understand what you're going for OP. If you just want to point out a decent laptop for med students, do it. Brining up the MacBook Pro is pointless, because it is in a different class than this machine. Simply looking at the processor alone will show you that this HP runs with an AMD chip. The Core 2s in the MBP wipe the floor with it, especially in something like the video processing you mentioned. It also has integrated graphics, meaning up to 25% of your main memory could be confiscated during intensive graphics activity. The MBP has no such limitation. Then you have the 30% higher thickness, higher weight, etc. etc.

You wouldn't say a Ford Focus was a cheaper alternative to a BMW just because it has cup holders and headlights for the same reason. The Focus is a decent car for those who don't have the money, but what does the BMW have to do with anything? It's just in a different class altogether.
I was only bringing up the MBP because I had mentioned in a previous thread that I was deadset on getting one; so this laptop deterred me. I know the MBP and this HP aren't completely comparable, but you get alot for your money I think. And the AMD Turion 64 X2 is comparable to the Core 2 Duo (correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought so). Of course the intel chip may beat the amd in some benchmarks, but when it comes down to practical use, I think the HP is a great alternative for those that can't afford a MBP until they are actual physicians :).

Personally I think the MBP appeals to users more than the MB because of the screen size and the bigger wow factor. Less people get the MBP due to price also, so when you have one, you are more unique I guess. Anyway, I still think Macs are beautiful, but I'll have to hold off until after med school to get one. This is a really good option though.

the AMD Turion 64 X2 is comparable to the Core 2 Duo (correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought so). Of course the intel chip may beat the amd in some benchmarks, but when it comes down to practical use, I think the HP is a great alternative for those that can't afford a MBP until they are actual physicians :).

It's s a decent machine, but no, the X2 1.8ghz is not as fast as a Core 2 Duo at the same clock speed: a T5600 (1.83ghz) is going to be a good bit faster, and I'm fairly sure from benchmarks I've seen that even the T5500 (1.66ghz or about 10% slower clock) will still beat that X2.

OK - if you go by Tom's Hardware's benchmarks (see http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_mobile.html ) which sadly don't have the T5500 or T5600, the AMD processors score worse on MOST (but not all) of those benchmarks than the comparably-clocked CORE DUO (no 2 - this is past-generation Intel stuff.) In some cases, the 1.8ghz AMD scores wores than the 1.66ghz last-generation Intel one.

So in general, I'd say "avoid AMD right now." It will be interesting to see whether their next-generation desktop chips ("Phenom") coming out this fall will be competitive again.

Add in the faster memory on the new Santa Rosa based Intels (T7100 1.8ghz, for example) and they are just going to be MUCH faster.

Still, it looks like a pretty good machine, for a pretty good price. For about $900, I'd get a Latitude D630 and give up some of the bells and whistles ($918 gets a T7100 but 1gb of memory rather than 2gb, XP home rather than Vista, a CDRW/DVD-ROM rather than a DVD writer, and a smaller HD - 80gb rather than 160gb. All of those except the processor are easy to upgrade later.)

A 13" MacBook (non-Pro) at $1099 is fairly similar in its specs except for having a faster processor and smaller screen, and would not be a bad choice if the screen size was acceptable.

It's s a decent machine, but no, the X2 1.8ghz is not as fast as a Core 2 Duo at the same clock speed: a T5600 (1.83ghz) is going to be a good bit faster, and I'm fairly sure from benchmarks I've seen that even the T5500 (1.66ghz or about 10% slower clock) will still beat that X2.

OK - if you go by Tom's Hardware's benchmarks (see http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_mobile.html ) which sadly don't have the T5500 or T5600, the AMD processors score worse on MOST (but not all) of those benchmarks than the comparably-clocked CORE DUO (no 2 - this is past-generation Intel stuff.) In some cases, the 1.8ghz AMD scores wores than the 1.66ghz last-generation Intel one.

So in general, I'd say "avoid AMD right now." It will be interesting to see whether their next-generation desktop chips ("Phenom") coming out this fall will be competitive again.

Add in the faster memory on the new Santa Rosa based Intels (T7100 1.8ghz, for example) and they are just going to be MUCH faster.

Still, it looks like a pretty good machine, for a pretty good price. For about $900, I'd get a Latitude D630 and give up some of the bells and whistles ($918 gets a T7100 but 1gb of memory rather than 2gb, XP home rather than Vista, a CDRW/DVD-ROM rather than a DVD writer, and a smaller HD - 80gb rather than 160gb. All of those except the processor are easy to upgrade later.)

A 13" MacBook (non-Pro) at $1099 is fairly similar in its specs except for having a faster processor and smaller screen, and would not be a bad choice if the screen size was acceptable.
This is pretty much what I was trying to say. Certainly the HP is a decent machine, but a video/graphics/audio professional would not see it as comparable to the MBP. For med students, it should be fine for a few years. Hell, you could find a bargain-basement laptop, upgrade the RAM, and still not notice much difference for everyday use.

By the way, if you're intent on getting a MBP but can't afford one, take a look at the refurbished Apple store. You can get a last generation one for $1599 or a first gen for less than that.

Macbook with student discount - 999.00, with a free ipod nano. Just got one 2 days ago and it rocks. Good enough for anything a med student will ever need for things pertaining to medical school, and good if you are on a budget.

Macbook with student discount - 999.00, with a free ipod nano. Just got one 2 days ago and it rocks. Good enough for anything a med student will ever need for things pertaining to medical school, and good if you are on a budget.

if you are on a true budget you could sell the nano on ebay and the MB would cost you less than OP's HP.

if you are on a true budget you could sell the nano on ebay and the MB would cost you less than OP's HP.
The free nano and free printer deals, plus student discount, make Apple's offerings very competitive for students.