Great tips for entering your "Work/Activities" for AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You might be surprised. The men (particularly the men) on the adcom seem interested in this and have brought this up in casual conversation. Many of them had blue collar jobs while in college and summers during H.S. and they actually like to see applicants who have been exposed to this aspect of "real life".

As a general rule should one include summer jobs unrelated to medicine in the EC/Activities section? During my undergrad summers I worked two different jobs (a blue-collar factory job like the other poster for two summers and also a retail job in subsequent summers).

I assume most people work during the summers while in undergrad, do most people include these jobs in their AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

As a general rule should one include summer jobs unrelated to medicine in the EC/Activities section? During my undergrad summers I worked two different jobs (a blue-collar factory job like the other poster for two summers and also a retail job in subsequent summers).

I assume most people work during the summers while in undergrad, do most people include these jobs in their AMCAS?

I usually want to know how the applicant filled each summer. Leaving a summer job or similar activity (major time commitment) off of the AMCAS does make it appear as if you have a gap in your resume.

This and honors at graduation (cum laude, etc) are really short hand for "good gpa". That's what it means on your graduation program, your diploma, in the newspaper. On the other hand, the adcom has your entire transcript laid out plus your gpa cut 15 (or more) different ways so it hardly needs the shorthand version.

Just curious... Do adcoms see a copy of our transcript, in addition to the coursework/grades section on our AMCAS application?

I'm asking b/c dean's list is recorded for every semester on our school's transcript.. so then i really don't need to list it on the apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious... Do adcoms see a copy of our transcript, in addition to the coursework/grades section on our AMCAS application?

I'm asking b/c dean's list is recorded for every semester on our school's transcript.. so then i really don't need to list it on the apps.

No, the adcom sees only the AMCAS coursework/grades section but that's enough to know that you did well, very well, or exceptionally well. I've never heard an adcom member make a comment, positive or negativee, about dean's list.

When entering in experience as a TA, should I simply say "Teaching Assistant" for the "Experience Name" line and then the name of the course in the "Organization" line, or should I write "Teaching Assistant - Name of Class" in the "Experience Name" line and then the name of my university (or the specific university department) in the "Organization" line?

Also, I volunteered at a day camp that was for diabetic children . . . I helped prepare meals and led them in a variety of activities . . . does this in any way qualify as "volunteer - clinical" or would it be non-clinical?

In my case, that would be 4 new entries, that I left off thinking they would be "unnecessary filler". So listing my summers doing landscaping, and the 6 months between undergrad graduation and the start of my postbacc where I worked 2 temp jobs (unrelated to medicine) would actually be a good thing in this case? Glad I didn't submit AMCAS yet.

In the case of a temp positions though, would adcoms rather see listed the company we actually performed the work for, or the temp agency that sent us? (I was just going to provide a quick comment about the temp status in the descriptions section). One was in data entry/database management and the other was cold-calling investors.

I usually want to know how the applicant filled each summer. Leaving a summer job or similar activity (major time commitment) off of the AMCAS does make it appear as if you have a gap in your resume.

I'd appreciate any advice...
--> I did a project for almost 1.5 years, and got credit for 1 semester of it, but the rest was voluntary contribution. The project is going to be picked up by a national health care related organization. It was a field research/survey/kind of thing. I've listed the project description under "Research/Lab." It was invited to the annual conference of the org and presented there. Should I list this seperately as "presentations/posters" or "conferences attended" or should I just mention it in the description of the EC of the research entry?? This is really confusing me, so please do help!

--> I am founder and president of an organization on campus that does non-medical community service work. Should I list this as "Leadership" or "Community Service"??

THANKS!

In my case, that would be 4 new entries, that I left off thinking they would be "unnecessary filler". So listing my summers doing landscaping, and the 6 months between undergrad graduation and the start of my postbacc where I worked 2 temp jobs (unrelated to medicine) would actually be a good thing in this case? Glad I didn't submit AMCAS yet.

In the case of a temp positions though, would adcoms rather see listed the company we actually performed the work for, or the temp agency that sent us? (I was just going to provide a quick comment about the temp status in the descriptions section). One was in data entry/database management and the other was cold-calling investors.

List the temp agency as the employer and put a little description down below. Cold calling investors (I almost said "investigators") might be a turn off for adcom members so I wouldn't emphasize that aspect.

When entering in experience as a TA, should I simply say "Teaching Assistant" for the "Experience Name" line and then the name of the course in the "Organization" line, or should I write "Teaching Assistant - Name of Class" in the "Experience Name" line and then the name of my university (or the specific university department) in the "Organization" line?

Also, I volunteered at a day camp that was for diabetic children . . . I helped prepare meals and led them in a variety of activities . . . does this in any way qualify as "volunteer - clinical" or would it be non-clinical?

write "Teaching Assistant - Name of Class" in the "Experience Name" line and then the name of the specific university department in the "Organization" line.

If you were doing the usual things that camp volunteers do for all children (food prep, supervision) then it would be "volunteer-non-clinical". If you were involved in administering insulin or measuring blood glucose (activities that are not part of the usual camp experience for all children) then you might call it "volunteer-clinical". Just my opinion... other reasonable people may respond differently.

I'd appreciate any advice...
--> I did a project for almost 1.5 years, and got credit for 1 semester of it, but the rest was voluntary contribution. The project is going to be picked up by a national health care related organization. It was a field research/survey/kind of thing. I've listed the project description under "Research/Lab." It was invited to the annual conference of the org and presented there. Should I list this seperately as "presentations/posters" or "conferences attended" or should I just mention it in the description of the EC of the research entry?? This is really confusing me, so please do help!

--> I am founder and president of an organization on campus that does non-medical community service work. Should I list this as "Leadership" or "Community Service"??

THANKS!

Depending on how much room you have, you might want to list the activity as Research Lab and then add the "presentation/poster" to emphasize the outcome of your 18 mos of work. Presentation assumes "conference attended" so leave that off.

For the founder/organization question: fielder's choice. Which role do you want to emphasize? Either is correct.

really random ec... unique, but appropriate?

i was a product tester for a shoe company (i'm a runner). basically, they mail me a pair of shoes, i run in them and record my workouts online and evaluate them. it really didn't take more than 5-10 minutes a day (unless of course you count the running) so i wasn't sure if this was something i should include, or if Adcoms are going to think i'm just desperate for things to list and/or just plain weird.

any advice, i'd appreciate it

Hi,
I posted this earlier, but I don't think I ever got a response.

If I was a volunteer Red Cross CPR instructor, could that experience be counted as clinical, or would that be non-clinical?

Thanks

I read this thread, but I coulnd't find a clear answer to this: If you were involved in an organization and also held several leadership positions, would you make a separate entry for the club and also the leadership positions? For example, would I make one for being a member of the club itself and then another for each leadership position I've held or would I just put everything under the entry for the organization.

Also, I spent a summer doing clinical research in the ER. Would I put this down as research or clinical work. It was honestly an equal mix of both so I'm not really sure which one it should go in.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
really random ec... unique, but appropriate?

i was a product tester for a shoe company (i'm a runner). basically, they mail me a pair of shoes, i run in them and record my workouts online and evaluate them. it really didn't take more than 5-10 minutes a day (unless of course you count the running) so i wasn't sure if this was something i should include, or if Adcoms are going to think i'm just desperate for things to list and/or just plain weird.

any advice, i'd appreciate it

That is cool and would be interesting to talk about at interview (those of us who interview 40-50 applicants each season try to find something other than the "same old/same old" to discuss -- I can't imagine the associate deans who interivew 200+ each season).

I'd put your running under athletics & then add into the description that you have this little side-line connected to your activity as a runner.

Hi,
I posted this earlier, but I don't think I ever got a response.

If I was a volunteer Red Cross CPR instructor, could that experience be counted as clinical, or would that be non-clinical?

Thanks

Or would it be Teaching/tutoring? If you've done CPR on real people and now you are teaching others to do it (using dummies, of course) then it might be an extension of the clinical services you've provided. If that isn't the case, then calling it "clinical" is a bit of a stretch... might I say that you haven't "smelled patients".

I read this thread, but I coulnd't find a clear answer to this: If you were involved in an organization and also held several leadership positions, would you make a separate entry for the club and also the leadership positions? For example, would I make one for being a member of the club itself and then another for each leadership position I've held or would I just put everything under the entry for the organization.

That's salami slicing. List it under leadership and within the description, list your leadership positions within the organization and mention that you were a member of the organization for [insert reference to timeframe]
Also, I spent a summer doing clinical research in the ER. Would I put this down as research or clinical work. It was honestly an equal mix of both so I'm not really sure which one it should go in.

Thanks for the help!

Another fielder's choice. If you have other clnical activities, list it as research. If you have lots of research & are light in clinical, list it as clinical.

I'm planning on listing competitive distance running as one of my EC's. Would it seem brash of me to include some PRs (personal records)? I think that they show a level of dedication, but I'm not sure if they would be understood or come off as too much. Any thoughts Lizzy?

I'm planning on listing competitive distance running as one of my EC's. Would it seem brash of me to include some PRs (personal records)? I think that they show a level of dedication, but I'm not sure if they would be understood or come off as too much. Any thoughts Lizzy?

I wouldn't understand but I'm not a runner. To me, the level of dedication would be shown in the number of hours per week and the number of months/years in which you've engaged in this activity. You might write in the explanation how often you compete (rather than train) and mention one or two highlights of your sports career. (e.g. I was particularly proud of my personal best time of xxx in the xx km race at the event name in location in month/year.)

So I have a question regarding how to list some ECs. I am a graduate student in a research lab, and I have presented my research poster in several poster sessions. For three of these I have used the same poster, slightly different abstracts, and same title, but they are different symposiums. Should I list these separately, or as one poster presentation (like use the first for the date and then note the rest in the description)?

Note that these are local symposiums, so a Medical Center Research Day for my medical department affiliation for the school I go to, the Retreat for the institute I work at, and a Symposium for students part of the integrated graduate programs at my school.

Thanks in advance!

So I have a question regarding how to list some ECs. I am a graduate student in a research lab, and I have presented my research poster in several poster sessions. For three of these I have used the same poster, slightly different abstracts, and same title, but they are different symposiums. Should I list these separately, or as one poster presentation (like use the first for the date and then note the rest in the description)?

Note that these are local symposiums, so a Medical Center Research Day for my medical department affiliation for the school I go to, the Retreat for the institute I work at, and a Symposium for students part of the integrated graduate programs at my school.

Thanks in advance!

Once, please!

Lizzy,

Is it appropriate to list intellectual interests to which you have deveoted a lot of time as ECs (for example, some area of philosophy or biology, ect)? These would be things that you pursue on your own, not as part of class/reasearch at school.

Also, for those who have been engaged in an activity for a very long time, is it silly to say that you've been doing it since you were 3 or 4? What exactly would one put down - just the approximate year we started doing this? (Things like music, arts...)

And, related to this, if we have a professional website that concerns this activity we have been engaged in (say, if one has been composing music, or something similar), is it appropriate to list it, if so, where, and would you actually go check out someone's website? Thanks for your thoughts.

Lizzy,

Is it appropriate to list intellectual interests to which you have deveoted a lot of time as ECs (for example, some area of philosophy or biology, ect)? These would be things that you pursue on your own, not as part of class/reasearch at school.

Yes, I think that could be listed as a hobby. However, be sure that you also have a fair number of activities that involved interactions with others. You don't want to come across as a complete introvert who is holed up with books all day & all night.
Also, for those who have been engaged in an activity for a very long time, is it silly to say that you've been doing it since you were 3 or 4? What exactly would one put down - just the approximate year we started doing this? (Things like music, arts...)
Quite appropriate, the musicians and dancers do it all the time.

And, related to this, if we have a professional website that concerns this activity we have been engaged in (say, if one has been composing music, or something similar), is it appropriate to list it, if so, where, and would you actually go check out someone's website? Thanks for your thoughts.

Back in the old days when I read applications at my dining room table after the kids were asleep, I wouldn't have checked a website. Now, maybe I would if the activity was really interesting to me, because we now review files electronially and it would be so easy to copy & click.

LizzyM,
I have two abstract publications (presented at national meetings), and I listed it under "publications" and not "presentations" or "posters", is this ok? I also added in an acknowledgement that I am in under the 2 abstract pubs.

LizzyM,

I volunteered in the community hospital for a year in my undergrad and then took a break of 2 years and went back to it for a year. Im wondering how I should list this? I dont want to say from 2003 - 2007 because that wouldnt be correct..and I dont want to list it as two different activities...
Thanks for your advice in advance :)

LizzyM,

I volunteered in the community hospital for a year in my undergrad and then took a break of 2 years and went back to it for a year. Im wondering how I should list this? I dont want to say from 2003 - 2007 because that wouldnt be correct..and I dont want to list it as two different activities...
Thanks for your advice in advance :)

I second that.

I also have a question. I worked as a math tutor for several years but I also tutored friends in college for sciences free of charge and not through a formal organization. It was somthing I just did for fun. Would that be under hobby or under tutor as well? If I lump it under tutor, should I just combine my formal work experience as a math tutor with my informal tutoring of collegues?

Is skateboarding a good hobby to put down even though I had to stop last year after getting knee surgery from a skateboarding accident.....?

1. Can anyone post a good/excellent example of experience description, hypothetical or actual?

I am having difficulties writing my experience descriptions because I tend to go into too much depth about each experience.

2. Also, I have done research for 3 years. Out of these three years, I have 3 publications and presented some of this data at a national research conference. Should the research, publications, and conference be entered as 3 separate activities or just 1 or 2? When I describe them, they will include similar and therefore redundant information about my research.

Thanks

I played varsity soccer and was captain for one season; should I make a separate Leadership EC for this? I don't really want to because I'm running out of spaces, but I won't have any other "leadership"-titled EC's and I'm wondering if that's a red flag. Thanks!

Actually, should I count being a full-time summer camp counselor as leadership? It was paid; I don't know if that matters.

Should I include volunteer tutoring as one or two activities if I did it in science and then for ESL?

I'm going to Argentina in August to volunteer in an orphanage and I'm spending my year off working in Mexico teaching English. I want to be able to put these both down on my application...but I don't think it will let me. Any ideas?

I'm going to Argentina in August to volunteer in an orphanage and I'm spending my year off working in Mexico teaching English. I want to be able to put these both down on my application...but I don't think it will let me. Any ideas?

Send a letter to each school noting that you will be out of the country on specific dates because you'll be doing x and y. In the same letter, provide a time period during which you'll be back in the States & available for interviews. Kills two birds...

Hi, I'm applying for 2008 admission, and I'm currently taking the year off. My question is, should I be making note of my year off in my AMCAS activities section? I know I will have a job and a volunteer positions, but how am I supposed to detailed as possible even when I'm not certain of what I will be doing exactly? THANKS in advance for your help!:)

Is it enough to say "shadowed physicians" or do I need to specify every name, type, etc. of physician I shadowed?

LizzyM,
I was wondering, what does a Red Cross CPR instructor fall under. Is that a clinical or a non-clinical volunteer experience, in your opinion?

Hi, I'm applying for 2008 admission, and I'm currently taking the year off. My question is, should I be making note of my year off in my AMCAS activities section? I know I will have a job and a volunteer positions, but how am I supposed to detailed as possible even when I'm not certain of what I will be doing exactly? THANKS in advance for your help!:)

For this reason, most leave it off the AMCAS. Some secondary applications will ask for this information. Certainly, the interviewer should ask when you get to that point.

LizzyM,
I was wondering, what does a Red Cross CPR instructor fall under. Is that a clinical or a non-clinical volunteer experience, in your opinion?

I'd say go with "non-clinical" because it doesnt' involve people who are obtaining clinical services. An adcom member can think you are wrong but will give you props for under-stating your experience. Go the other way, have an adcom member disagree with you, and you'll get slammed for mislabeling and pumping up your so-called clinical activities.

LizzyM,
Several posts ago you said that you like to see what applicants did every summer during college. My first summer I worked at an Arts and Crafts store (in total I worked there over 2 years starting the summer before my Senior year of high school). I had a lot of responsibilites including running a one-week kids summer arts and crafts workshop and substituting for the shipping and receiving manager when she was on vacation in addition to my regular retail duties. I hadn't thought about including it before, but your post got me thinking because I did work there for a long time. Here is my current list of ECs, what can I move around in order to include this, or should I include this.

1. SUMR Pre-MSTP Research Program - research + ER shadowing + RadOnc shadowing
2. Work in Cancer Center Clinical Trials Office
3. Work in Neonatology Research
4. ESL tutoring (volunteer)
5. Phi Beta Kappa/Deans/President's List
6. Elementary School volunteering
7. Scholarships
8. Peer Mentoring
9. Track and Cross Country
10. Operation Smile Student Group
11. International Shadowing - doctor in Germany, 2 weeks, got to assisst in OR
12. Hospice Volunteering
13. Blood Bank Volunteering
14. Shadowing Experience - 3 different doctors
15. 10,000 Hours Show Leadership Position

I was thinking about removing #14 since I already have shadowing included two other places, but my older shadowing is listed in this entry so if I remove it, it looks like I didn't start shadowing until May 2007 (Yikes!).

Thanks!

LizzyM,
Several posts ago you said that you like to see what applicants did every summer during college. My first summer I worked at an Arts and Crafts store (in total I worked there over 2 years starting the summer before my Senior year of high school). I had a lot of responsibilites including running a one-week kids summer arts and crafts workshop and substituting for the shipping and receiving manager when she was on vacation in addition to my regular retail duties. I hadn't thought about including it before, but your post got me thinking because I did work there for a long time. Here is my current list of ECs, what can I move around in order to include this, or should I include this.

7. Scholarships
8. Peer Mentoring
12. Hospice Volunteering

I was thinking about removing #14 since I already have shadowing included two other places, but my older shadowing is listed in this entry so if I remove it, it looks like I didn't start shadowing until May 2007 (Yikes!).

Thanks!

Why not take out #15? or #11?

Why not take out #15? or #11?

#15 is a leadership position that requires 10-20 hours a week of work. This is a national volunteer organization with a really cool mission and way of getting students involved in community volunteering. I am the director of volunteers for the organization.

#11 was my most intensive shadowing experiance so far. I feel that I learned much more from this experiance than from the other shadowing experiances I have had so far.

LizzyM,

7. Scholarships
8. Peer Mentoring
12. Hospice Volunteering

Thanks!

I would put "Phi Beta Kappa/Deans/President's List" with "Scholarships" as they both fall under the category "Honors/Awards/Recognitions".

Just had a question. So if I was the treasurer of a volunteer organization, should I have one section be the volunteer work I did through the organization and another section about my responsibilities as Treasurer? Or talk about both in the same section?

Thanks.

I have a few about this stuff as well:

- how should I list ap classes that counted on my official transcript...should i put the grade i got or not? (those grades didn't count towards my college gpa)

-i sent my transcript the day after finals, not thinking that all my grades weren't in yet, who should i contact to make sure all the grades are in? aamcas or my bursar's office?

-do i need to list pe classes? (i took a lifeguard renewal class thru the u. and got a grade and credit for it)

-i am in the middle of preparing an abstract for submission to an international ortho. mtg; should i put that if it is not submitted yet (july 31 deadline)?

LizzyM,

7. Scholarships
8. Peer Mentoring
12. Hospice Volunteering

Thanks!
I'd take out 5, 6 & 14. You'd still have a very strong application.

I have a few about this stuff as well:

- how should I list ap classes that counted on my official transcript...should i put the grade i got or not? (those grades didn't count towards my college gpa)

-i sent my transcript the day after finals, not thinking that all my grades weren't in yet, who should i contact to make sure all the grades are in? aamcas or my bursar's office?

-do i need to list pe classes? (i took a lifeguard renewal class thru the u. and got a grade and credit for it)

-i am in the middle of preparing an abstract for submission to an international ortho. mtg; should i put that if it is not submitted yet (july 31 deadline)?

If it is on any college transcript, you must count it. AP, PE, all that goes on the AMCAS.

The bursar usually handles money. The registrar handles transcripts. AMCAS gets your transcripts from the registrar. As the registrar if your transcript was sent before grades were posted. If your grades hadn't been posted yet, that will show as "not posted" on your AMCAS application. If necessary, get another transcript sent after grades are posted.

Don't list on the AMCAS things that haven't happened yet. Save that as an "update for your file" when you interview. It is a great way to kick off the conversation.

I'd take out 5, 6 & 14. You'd still have a very strong application.

Thanks for the advice! Just wondering why you would suggest taking out three activites since I only need to find space for one?

What's the appropriate format for listing, say, that you've played a musical instrument for years (since 4th grade). I was planning on simply stating the year I began, and then checking the "until present" box, but what about "contact name" or "organization name" or "contact title"? I played in my elementary band, middle school band/orchestra, high school concert band/marching band/jazz band/orchestra, and then a short stint in my university's orchestra before stopping due to time constraints. I continued to play recreationally, playing backup for a few artsy friends' dramatic solo performances at my university, and playing in a "band" with three friends, including a few very small gigs during college.

Should I leave the contact name/contact title/organization name blank, since listing my high school band leader or something would seem rather silly. Also, should I include all the info I've listed above (in a more eloquent way), or should I only really mention what I've been doing with it since high school ended?

Edit: Also, what about something that I began doing as a volunteer, but then later was offered payment for the same service (at the original location as well as at another one)? Do I list it as "paid" work, but mention how I began doing it as a volunteer? Or the other way around? Or what?

Thanks for your help!

Almost done...just read a few responses here and was a little concerned:
--> I'm a counselor for peer mental health. Its volunteer. Is this medical/clinical?

Is clinical only hospital work?

-->Shadowing: Does this come under "Other"? If you just observed?

Thanks for the advice! Just wondering why you would suggest taking out three activites since I only need to find space for one?
I think it looks like you're filling up space if you actually use all 15 spots. LizzyM might also be giving you options in case you want to keep one that she mentioned. <shrug>

Status
Not open for further replies.