green card! help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ninucakuku1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I m from Europe, Georgia, I am an orthodontist in my country, i won the green card.
Can you please tell me what requirements are in dentistry ? i know that i have to pass the NBDE exams, but do i need to take dental school courses?
thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

In order to practice dentistry in the United States you must have a license. You can check with each state's licensing body about the requirements, but in general you need DDS/DMD degree or have two years advance standing program or equivalent, like residency. Sometimes one year of residency is enough.
There might be a chance to get into specialty program, like orthodontics, since you are already an orthodontist.
Check ada.org for more information.
Before leaving your country try to learn as much English as you can, because you will need to take TOEFL test and make as much money as you can, because you will need lots of them for the exams, interviews, applications and life in general

Reactions: 1 user
In order to practice dentistry in the United States you must have a license. You can check with each state's licensing body about the requirements, but in general you need DDS/DMD degree or have two years advance standing program or equivalent, like residency. Sometimes one year of residency is enough.
There might be a chance to get into specialty program, like orthodontics, since you are already an orthodontist.
Check ada.org for more information.
Before leaving your country try to learn as much English as you can, because you will need to take TOEFL test and make as much money as you can, because you will need lots of them for the exams, interviews, applications and life in general
thanks :) if enyone has more info, please replay my post <3

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks :) if enyone has more info, please replay my post <3
Hi :), let me just write the basic info for paths international dentists can take in the US.
To practice as a dentist u need to fulfill licensure reqs which can be different for each state. But on general level all require u to earn a dmd/dds from accredited dental school which means basically repeating last 2 yrs of dental school called advanced standing or International dentist program.
Secondly u can do an adv edu in general dentistry that is further special training after dds nd international dentists are eligible to apply , it can be 1 yr or 2 yr program bt state boards require min 2 yrs program as licensure requirement. U can practice with an 2 yr aegd in states like Ohio( one i knw )nd others u can find out for each state licensure requirements.
Third is specializing like in ur case orthodontics, 2-3 yr program after it u can practice as an orthodontist . Most programs require dds from US bt not all U can find out more abt it on individual program reqs.
Other stuff u cud do is like shadow, volunteer ,assisting , masters nd faculty , research and supervising / instructing dental staff kind of work till u get ur license.(no details of these just wat ive heard)
Now watever u dcide the things u absolutely need are ECE course by course evaluation of dental degree,nbde 1 (absolute req)nd 2( most schools req it nd also is a plus nyways) , toefl score above avg of 100. Minimum 3 LORs 1 being dean of dental school in home country , another dept head or professor , nd third pref a dentist u worked with esp in US; SOP- a very strong one. Other add ons : u need work experience in home country nd US, ny other achievements , research work , community work, CDE credits,publication ,extracurricular work etc etc .
After u have cleared eligibility req u can strt applying to programs.
Another point specialty or aegd or masters might have additional requirements as GRE or a pass/match application system that im not much aware of so smone cud add more info regarding it.
Wow thats a long msg I wrote ...:heckyeah:.

Hi :), let me just write the basic info for paths international dentists can take in the US.
To practice as a dentist u need to fulfill licensure reqs which can be different for each state. But on general level all require u to earn a dmd/dds from accredited dental school which means basically repeating last 2 yrs of dental school called advanced standing or International dentist program.
Secondly u can do an adv edu in general dentistry that is further special training after dds nd international dentists are eligible to apply , it can be 1 yr or 2 yr program bt state boards require min 2 yrs program as licensure requirement. U can practice with an 2 yr aegd in states like Ohio( one i knw )nd others u can find out for each state licensure requirements.
Third is specializing like in ur case orthodontics, 2-3 yr program after it u can practice as an orthodontist . Most programs require dds from US bt not all U can find out more abt it on individual program reqs.
Other stuff u cud do is like shadow, volunteer ,assisting , masters nd faculty , research and supervising / instructing dental staff kind of work till u get ur license.(no details of these just wat ive heard)
Now watever u dcide the things u absolutely need are ECE course by course evaluation of dental degree,nbde 1 (absolute req)nd 2( most schools req it nd also is a plus nyways) , toefl score above avg of 100. Minimum 3 LORs 1 being dean of dental school in home country , another dept head or professor , nd third pref a dentist u worked with esp in US; SOP- a very strong one. Other add ons : u need work experience in home country nd US, ny other achievements , research work , community work, CDE credits,publication ,extracurricular work etc etc .
After u have cleared eligibility req u can strt applying to programs.
Another point specialty or aegd or masters might have additional requirements as GRE or a pass/match application system that im not much aware of so smone cud add more info regarding it.
Is it that hard to write in English?

Secondly u can do an adv edu in general dentistry that is further special training after dds nd international dentists are eligible to apply , it can be 1 yr or 2 yr program bt stat or masters might have additional requirements as GRE or a pass/match application system that im not much aware of so smone cud add more info regarding it.

huh :)) Omg , thanks a lot,
one i cannt understand, do i have to pass NBDE exams before i go to dental school? or after i finish dental school?

huh :)) Omg , thanks a lot,
one i cannt understand, do i have to pass NBDE exams before i go to dental school? or after i finish dental school?
U need to pass them to apply to dental school .

U need to pass them to apply to dental school .
I had the information that everyone who passes in residency did this exams...it doesnt metter u r citizen and finished the dental school in usa or u r foreigner....
So i hope i dont have to pass Nbde also after dental school :)))

I had the information that everyone who passes in residency did this exams...it doesnt metter u r citizen and finished the dental school in usa or u r foreigner....
So i hope i dont have to pass Nbde also after dental school :)))
To apply to 2 yr dds or any speciality training as an international dentist ,a PASS score on NBDE is required.(US citizen or not)
You don't have to take them again after graduating from US dental school.
Check this link for further details.
http://www.asdanet.org/tips-for-international-dental-students/

To apply to 2 yr dds or any speciality training as an international dentist ,a PASS score on NBDE is required.(US citizen or not)
You don't have to take them again after graduating from US dental school.
Check this link for further details.
http://www.asdanet.org/tips-for-international-dental-students/
Thanks for such attention..! Nbde exam preparation takes 2 years maybe, dont u recommend me to pass in dental school from the begining? Does it take 4 years to finish dental school?

Thanks for such attention..! Nbde exam preparation takes 2 years maybe, dont u recommend me to pass in dental school from the begining? Does it take 4 years to finish dental school?
NBDE prep does not take 2 years, you can prepare in 3-6months, depending on your knowledge level. You'll have to invest in a good prep material though.
As I know, you'll have to enter US by a certain date, living in US is very expensive in comparison to Georgia, so you need to start prep now to use your time in the US for other activities

It seems you are confusing the traditional dental program with international dentist one. As an international dentist you need to get into an advanced program which is usually 2 yrs. To be eligible to apply for admission you need to have NBDE pass score. As said by oralcare123 , you can crack the exams within few months.
About 4 yr dental school , yes the students going to the regular DMD program take nbde during or after their school. If u decide to apply to regular DMD , its duration and expenses are more plus you have to take DAT .
Any program you apply to requires quite an investment , taking exams, applications to tuition and fee. As an applicant , I can tell you investment just till applying to school is quite a sum, you should take time to plan it out considering you are moving places and have to find a job and take care of other expenses.

It seems you are confusing the traditional dental program with international dentist one. As an international dentist you need to get into an advanced program which is usually 2 yrs. To be eligible to apply for admission you need to have NBDE pass score. As said by oralcare123 , you can crack the exams within few months.
About 4 yr dental school , yes the students going to the regular DMD program take nbde during or after their school. If u decide to apply to regular DMD , its duration and expenses are more plus you have to take DAT .
Any program you apply to requires quite an investment , taking exams, applications to tuition and fee. As an applicant , I can tell you investment just till applying to school is quite a sum, you should take time to plan it out considering you are moving places and have to find a job and take care of other expenses.
hm i understand! :) i m really really thankful for such info! :)

NBDE prep does not take 2 years, you can prepare in 3-6months, depending on your knowledge level. You'll have to invest in a good prep material though.
As I know, you'll have to enter US by a certain date, living in US is very expensive in comparison to Georgia, so you need to start prep now to use your time in the US for other activities
<3 thanks !