About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

GRE's

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by tinylilron, Jun 28, 2007.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. tinylilron

tinylilron Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I want to get a Ph.D. in public health later in life after I have been a doctor for a while... should I take the GRE's now? Could I/Should I study for them simulantaeously with the MCATs?
  2. spicedmanna

spicedmanna In Memory of Riley Jane Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    My recommendation is to concentrate on your MCAT and do well there. Don't add any additional stressors that don't need to be added. It sounds like your plans for a PhD in public health are a long way down the line (after you've been working as a physician for a while, as you state). I'd concentrate on getting into medical school first. Deal with the GREs later when you need to deal with them. You can take them very frequently, if required for the graduate program. However, your MCAT is important to you now. Focus on what you need to do now, not what you think you might need 10+ years down the line.

That's my 2 cents.
  3. proclivity

proclivity New Member

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    take the GRE later.....definitely. It isn't worth sacrificing any amount of MCAT score for the GRE...and although the verbal passage sections have things in common, everything else is very, very different.

I am studying for the GRE right now. It only takes a couple of weeks to prepare for. that is just a couple of hours a day. You will have plenty of time to take the GRE. MCAT is way more important.