*groan* another "IS IT TOO LATE TO SUBMIT" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lost In Transcription

reports of my assimilation are greatly exaggerated
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear poor SDN,

I am asking the neurotic question of if it is too late for me to submit and have a good cycle.

I feel like I have a chance to get into good schools (an A applicant by Wedge's system) but I am afraidI will blow it by applying late.

Due to family and work life, I wont be ready to submit until the end of this week. Realistically, is this actually too late to have a shot at good state and top tier schools?

If I don't apply this year, I will not feel too bad. I can do more cool research and get more clinical experience. But if it is silly for me to think that it is "too late" I will submit this week.

I am already going to have two gap years- does it look bad to have three..?

Sorry for the neuroticism and thanks for input.

TLDR: NIH office claims it is nearly too late to apply, and all of my friends who submitted are "concerned" that my cycle got shot in the foot. Should I try or wait til next year?

Members don't see this ad.

You are not late. Let me repeat...YOU ARE NOT LATE!!!! If you truly believe you will have a better application by waiting until next year, then by all means wait. But if you feel you have a competitive application this year, then go ahead and apply...YOU ARE NOT LATE!!!

You are not late. Let me repeat...YOU ARE NOT LATE!!!! If you truly believe you will have a better application by waiting until next year, then by all means wait. But if you feel you have a competitive application this year, then go ahead and apply...YOU ARE NOT LATE!!!
But is that only for my low tier state MD/DO schools?

I swear I am not a snob. Just want to have the best possible cycle so as to not reapply..

Members don't see this ad :)
But is that only for my low tier state MD/DO schools?

I swear I am not a snob. Just want to have the best possible cycle so as to not reapply..
YOU ARE NOT LATE!!! If you apply now you will likely be verified by early August. The people who are late are those who haven't even taken their MCAT yet and won't have their results until late Aug/early Sept. If you have everything done and ready to go now, you are FINE!!!! Again...if your EC's are on the light side and you firmly believe another year will help your application, then wait. But if you feel your app is strong now, then submit it now.

Refresh my brain. What are your stats?

Last edited:
This in neurotic behavior at it's finest. You are completely fine applying now. AMCAS only sent out stuff to schools about a week ago, so you are barely behind the first group. Take a chill pill, apply, and get your II. Good luck.

Forgot to mention, this is slightly complicated by the fact that I have an IA. It is for a minor dorm housing policy violation...wont affect my chqnces but it WILL take longer...anyone know how much longer?

I had a 3.8 gpa, mcat comes back in a couple of weeks but I got a 517 on aamc practice...four years of research, good ECs. Didnt start CLINICAL volunteering until last month (oops). But I will have 300+ hrs by August 2017

This in neurotic behavior at it's finest. You are completely fine applying now. AMCAS only sent out stuff to schools about a week ago, so you are barely behind the first group. Take a chill pill, apply, and get your II. Good luck.
Sorry. The IA was what I forgot to mention. I dont know how much longer that takes!

mcat comes back in a couple of weeks but I got a 517 on aamc practice
So you don't have an MCAT score yet? This would concern me slightly. How did your other practice exams look? When does you score come back? Did you graduate already or will you be a senior this year?

I always heard "the Fourth of July" as a target date, so you should be fine. That's a target, not a date to abandon all hope.

Reactions: 1 user
For the gazillionth time, no.

Take four of these:

upload_2016-7-2_18-7-20.jpeg

Dear poor SDN,

I am asking the neurotic question of if it is too late for me to submit and have a good cycle.

I feel like I have a chance to get into good schools (an A applicant by Wedge's system) but I am afraidI will blow it by applying late.

Due to family and work life, I wont be ready to submit until the end of this week. Realistically, is this actually too late to have a shot at good state and top tier schools?

If I don't apply this year, I will not feel too bad. I can do more cool research and get more clinical experience. But if it is silly for me to think that it is "too late" I will submit this week.

I am already going to have two gap years- does it look bad to have three..?

Sorry for the neuroticism and thanks for input.

TLDR: NIH office claims it is nearly too late to apply, and all of my friends who submitted are "concerned" that my cycle got shot in the foot. Should I try or wait til next year?

Reactions: 2 users
For the gazillionth time, no.

Take four of these:

View attachment 205830

Haha, I can always count on you to bring me back to Earth, @Goro. I have just been scolded this week by applicants and advisors alike for not submitting yet...
"*GASP* You aren't applying this year?!!"
"....no I am"
"But it's so late!"

I swear, I'm going to reach through the electrons and start throttling people!

Haha, I can always count on you to bring me back to Earth, @Goro. I have just been scolded this week by applicants and advisors alike for not submitting yet...
"*GASP* You aren't applying this year?!!"
"....no I am"
"But it's so late!"

Reactions: 2 users
You are free to strangle people, but you better not start handing out Xanax! The DEA will be on you in no time flat.

Please do!!! Thank god I found this site this summer. Between being told my dorm IA was a "huge red flag" and that I am too late to apply...I might have caved and waited. :(

By the way, that IA might not even *be* an IA. I'm checking with my Dean tomorrow...sounds like they keep the housing policy violations separate from the Dean of Student conduct record. :bang: So silly of me to panic..I'll post if it isn't considered one, because I know other people on the forum have similar problems...

Lost In Transcription, I like that you quote Captain Picard in your sig. I would admit you to med school just for that.

If it is not a hardship to wait a year, do that and have a fantastic gap year. Make it interesting, read great books, research and travel. I kick myself daily for not taking a gap year.