Growing a Patient Base in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rolltidedumptruck

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to reach out to see if anyone has any ideas for growing a patient base during dental school? I'm just transitioning into my clinical years and was wondering if it would be frowned upon to go to a neighborhood association meeting etc. ? Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Start hanging out in the nearest neighborhood bar to your school. Make it known that you are looking for people that need dental work.

(I'm NOT kidding! I have seen it work many times.)

Reactions: 1 user
Do you mean pt base to see during school or after? Most schools that I know screen new pts for students but if you're having a hard time getting requirements/filling your schedule they obvi don't care (run it by your dean/attending I guess and it'll look like you're being proactive) about bringing people in. I put up flyers in the laundry mats, starbucks, and barbershops and got a good amount of extra pts from that.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Hang out in the OS “tooth clinic” at your program. Most of those patients don’t have dentists.

2) If you ever get a good patient, ask if they have siblings/parents/kids/friends that would like to come in.