GS employee sets 1LT supervisor on fire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homunculus

SDN Caveman Administrator
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article100812952.html

https://www.armytimes.com/articles/...mployee-accused-of-setting-supervisor-on-fire

"it's gasoline, you idiots." wtf?

there are probably several layers to this onion, but as someone who worked as an OIC at a MEDDAC i can sympathize with the 1LT regarding the potential ticking time bombs lurking around. a few different stories floating around, but it sounds like she had asked to never be unaccompanied around this guy. when you feel that serious about your personal safety, something is up. I can't imagine this guy was unknown to the command. will be interesting to see how this plays out, but in the meantime I hope she recovers. I read she's married to a doc there, has 3 kids, and that the burns were 3rd/4th degree. terrible.

my solution would be to string him and do the same. no one brings gasoline to work as an EFMP assistant (probably the cushiest job in the hospital) so with premeditation he should get strung up by the legal system, too.

the administrative issues surrounding this will be interesting should they ever come to light. would not want to be the chain of command there today.

--your friendly neighborhood appalled caveman

Members don't see this ad.

When you allow a system to progress to the point that it is near impossible to fire anyone you get stuck with unstable people and someone is left holding the bag.

Reactions: 1 user
As I said in the previous post, the result will be quarterly training with detailed instruction on how to hunt the good stuff and not light your OIC on fire.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article100812952.html

https://www.armytimes.com/articles/...mployee-accused-of-setting-supervisor-on-fire

"it's gasoline, you idiots." wtf?

there are probably several layers to this onion, but as someone who worked as an OIC at a MEDDAC i can sympathize with the 1LT regarding the potential ticking time bombs lurking around. a few different stories floating around, but it sounds like she had asked to never be unaccompanied around this guy. when you feel that serious about your personal safety, something is up. I can't imagine this guy was unknown to the command. will be interesting to see how this plays out, but in the meantime I hope she recovers. I read she's married to a doc there, has 3 kids, and that the burns were 3rd/4th degree. terrible.

my solution would be to string him and do the same. no one brings gasoline to work as an EFMP assistant (probably the cushiest job in the hospital) so with premeditation he should get strung up by the legal system, too.

the administrative issues surrounding this will be interesting should they ever come to light. would not want to be the chain of command there today.

--your friendly neighborhood appalled caveman

Better than even odds that someone screws up the documentation on his termination paperwork and they are required to hold his job for him when he gets out of the federal pen in 10 years....

As I said in the previous post, the result will be quarterly training with detailed instruction on how to hunt the good stuff and not light your OIC on fire.

damn-- didn't see that thread. i usually read everything here but that one slipped past.

to be honest i'm surprised at the lack of information coming down. if this were an islamic driven attack you'd bet your ass we'd have opsec/safety office reminders blasted down at least a couple of times by now. the lack of press is probably because when they do their root cause analysis they'll come to the conclusion (or already know) that GS unionized civilians are untouchable-- even when someone decides to do the hard thing and start a paper trail for the next supervisor to use. sounds like this nurse may have done the "right thing" from a supervision standpoint but definitely not the easy/safer thing which is to just mitigate the uselessness of these types of employees and move on.

--your friendly neighborhood hoping AFGE goons don't come break my legs now caveman

That IS the problem. She said she knew something violent was going to happen. I used to have a civilian employee who I genuinely thought would eventually do something violent, and the most I could do was put her in a position of "no patient contact" (meaning she literally couldn't do the job we hired her to do, and because patient contact was everything in her job description, she just refused to do anything else). So she just sat in an office collecting pay and browsing the Internet for three months. I had to tell my other employees to avoid any contact with her (which is obviously unfair to them), and eventually the troublemaker took a different GS job - still working for the government.