GTown Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i'd just wait a little longer, at least, if i were you. as you know, housing in dc is mega expensive so, it'd suck to put down a large security deposit and then lose it if things do work out at the other school. dc is a really transient area, so there will always be some place you can find last minute. i'm a student in the smp program and i waited until the last minute last year for my waitlists and i still ended up with a really great place right near campus. anyway, that's just my advice. best of luck. georgetown's a really great school.

medstylee said:
i'd just wait a little longer, at least, if i were you. as you know, housing in dc is mega expensive so, it'd suck to put down a large security deposit and then lose it if things do work out at the other school. dc is a really transient area, so there will always be some place you can find last minute. i'm a student in the smp program and i waited until the last minute last year for my waitlists and i still ended up with a really great place right near campus. anyway, that's just my advice. best of luck. georgetown's a really great school.

how did you find a really great place last minute? and does the admissions office really help you find roommates?

shawty, I don't want to commit to anything just yet, but I'll definitely be in the market for a house/apt and roommates for mid-july (I'm trying to avoid paying double rent as best I can). once i finish this f'n thesis, I plan on aggressively pursuing housing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my letter today. Woohoo!!! Class of 2009!

Persistence101 said:
Congratulations! I'll see you in August!

Persistence101 said:

see you there gang. whitewater rafting august 8th.

Hey gang! Georgetown M'08 here...just finishing our first year and I wanted to say I am really excited about seeing you all in August. You're in for a great year at a great school, and I think you'll find your classmates are really good people. Congrats to all and have a good summer :)

Does anybody know the daily schedule for the first semester. I'm supposed to be in my sister's wedding in California on August 19th (first friday of the school year). I'm worried about missing anatomy lab!

ps. I can't wait to go rafting on Aug. 8th!!

microman said:
Does anybody know the daily schedule for the first semester. I'm supposed to be in my sister's wedding in California on August 19th (first friday of the school year). I'm worried about missing anatomy lab!

judging from last year's schedule on the website, there probably is lab that week. i am almost positive that you would be able to switch lab for that week if you are assigned to the lab section that meets that day, though. i am not 100% sure how gross lab is divided up, but neuro lab this term, for instance, meets tues and thurs - you go to one or the other, not both. (i'm in the smp at gtown right now). it may be different for gross, but i wouldn't worry about it - they'll help you work it out, since you have a good reason. :)

CocoMD said:
judging from last year's schedule on the website, there probably is lab that week. i am almost positive that you would be able to switch lab for that week if you are assigned to the lab section that meets that day, though. i am not 100% sure how gross lab is divided up, but neuro lab this term, for instance, meets tues and thurs - you go to one or the other, not both. (i'm in the smp at gtown right now). it may be different for gross, but i wouldn't worry about it - they'll help you work it out, since you have a good reason. :)
Thanks for the reply!

Hi everyone. I just received an acceptance from Georgetown today and will make a decision between Gtown and Drexel. It looks like I may be seeing you guys/gals this fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
RaaMD said:
Hi everyone. I just received an acceptance from Georgetown today and will make a decision between Gtown and Drexel. It looks like I may be seeing you guys/gals this fall!

Which one you pick? I just got my drex acceptance yesterday, but I'm gonna stick with Gtown after spending a year here in the SMP. Both schools are good for very different things.

batchild39 said:
Which one you pick? I just got my drex acceptance yesterday, but I'm gonna stick with Gtown after spending a year here in the SMP. Both schools are good for very different things.

batchild39,
Have any good tips for those of us trying to find housing in DC? e.g., which neighborhoods in DC should be avoided, good resources for finding a residence, etc?
See you all in the fall~

Anyone else going to Georgetown this Fall?

NeverSayNever said:
batchild39,
Have any good tips for those of us trying to find housing in DC? e.g., which neighborhoods in DC should be avoided, good resources for finding a residence, etc?
See you all in the fall~

Housing is gonna be expensive everywhere in DC. I lived in a basement in Foxhall this year. It was real close to campus, real big, but real expensive (1200). Some of my friends rented a house in Burleith. They paid about 600 each, but the place was worse than my old frat.

One thing to consider is the GUTS bus (http://otm.georgetown.edu/guts/index.cfm) routinely stops in Dupont Circle and Rosslyn (VA), so you can live in those areas and not have to worry about the commute. Also, from either of these places, you'll have easy metro access, which is a big plus. Dupont has all the bars/clubs/restaurants and supposedly Rosslyn gets pretty dead at night. I don't even know where I'm gonna live next year, so I'm not the best resource, but I'm hoping to find a place in Rosslyn.

Check for housing on craigslist and the Gtown housing listings: http://och.georgetown.edu/. The medschool also has that housing lisiting thing, but I haven't signed up for it yet.

hey, i'm an m'08 at gtown now...about gross lab, you'll probably have it on friday...there's no real way to make it up as the whole class has lab at the same time mon, wed, and fri and you once moday rolls around you've moved on to the next lab. however, the videos are online and you could go in on your own or with your lab partners whenever you have a free moment and check up on what was done in lab that day. it really shouldn't be too bad. plus, we started with the back this year which was pretty straight forward.

good luck and welcome to gtown :oops:)
microman said:

NeverSayNever said:
batchild39,
See you all in the fall~

There are lots of places that put signs up in the windows, but may not be listed elsewhere. When I moved down here a few years ago, I didn't make too much progress online, but found a bunch of places when I came down. It's best to see the places, since some can be pretty run-down, as batchild mentioned. The Georgetown housing site can be helpful, though it's not always updated. Good luck! Looks like I'll most likely be in the class of 2009 too. Look forward to meeting all of you! :)

I'm in a house now, but when I first moved here, rented from Ed Emes. He has a bunch of properties and is one name you can look for. He was a bit strict, since I was living in the same house he and his wife live in, but overall a great landlord. I have seen posts elsewhere of people having problems with him, but I'm not sure exactly what they were. Mostly, I'd say he might have more rules than most and really stick to them, but is attentive and nice as long as you don't do anything outrageous.

just recently got accepted off the waitlist. i loved the school after interviewing, and i'm almost positive i'll be joining the class of '09. but i am still considering trying to defer for a year. does anyone have any thoughts on this? any second years wish they'd taken a year off before Gtown?

has anyone received any info regarding financial aid? thanks

batchild39 said:
Housing is gonna be expensive everywhere in DC. I lived in a basement in Foxhall this year. It was real close to campus, real big, but real expensive (1200). Some of my friends rented a house in Burleith. They paid about 600 each, but the place was worse than my old frat.

One thing to consider is the GUTS bus (http://otm.georgetown.edu/guts/index.cfm) routinely stops in Dupont Circle and Rosslyn (VA), so you can live in those areas and not have to worry about the commute. Also, from either of these places, you'll have easy metro access, which is a big plus. Dupont has all the bars/clubs/restaurants and supposedly Rosslyn gets pretty dead at night. I don't even know where I'm gonna live next year, so I'm not the best resource, but I'm hoping to find a place in Rosslyn.

Check for housing on craigslist and the Gtown housing listings: http://och.georgetown.edu/. The medschool also has that housing lisiting thing, but I haven't signed up for it yet.

What basement in Foxhall? I just signed a lease on a basement in Foxhall on monday, lol

vhawk01 said:
What basement in Foxhall? I just signed a lease on a basement in Foxhall on monday, lol

My apt was on Volta Pl. I still have it until the end of July I guess. Foxhall is nice and quiet. I guess it's pretty safe, if that's a concern. It's also a really short walk to school.

Last edited:
So, I have been accepted to Georgetown but am on the waiting list for a school that I may want to go to. It is mid June and I still do not know what to do about housing. It seems that good housing in DC is pretty scarce. Do you all have your housing already? How much longer should I wait to secure housing?

Hey all! Congrats to all those accepted, whether to Gtown or not! I spent this past year at Georgetown as a GEMS student (as postbac program at the med school - i'm in the brochure off of the main gtown med webpage...haha!!) and am so excited to be a 1st year in a little over a month! See y'all on August 9th!

Peaches, just to answer your question, I haven't gotten a fin aid package yet, either. Called the office today to ask about it but to no avail. Will call back again tomorrow and will let you know if i hear anything.

Peace out..

Any new word out there? I was told to wait patiently by Mrs. Sullivan. She said that they accept people in batches and there is not too much more I can do. I have sent in about 4 letters and now am just praying for the best. Good luck to everyone else waiting! :luck: :luck:

Did anyone get an email message this morning stating that you were subscribed to the GTown Med09 listserv, but 10 minutes later received another message saying you were unsubscribed?

peaches09 said:
Did anyone get an email message this morning stating that you were subscribed to the GTown Med09 listserv, but 10 minutes later received another message saying you were unsubscribed?

yah, we'll prolly be resusbscribed soon

hahahah i fart a lot and i'll be in all of your classes and i'm really random!!

and yes, i got that email as well. and then right on, another resubscribtion email. are the listserves actively used?

shawty ya'head said:
hahahah i fart a lot and i'll be in all of your classes and i'm really random!!

Nice... :laugh:

**** now you'll recognize me during orientation as the kid who farts a lot.

i'll have to keep them going as "silent killers"

love you all.

To anyone looking for housing near GU, I'm vacating my room in the next few days.
I'm looking for someone to take over my lease which starts from July 1st to May 2006. Rent is $620/month.
The room is small, but it has a closet and it's furnished with a bed, a dresser, a desk and a chair. All utilities are included in the rent except the high speed internet, which is about $15/month for one person.

You will be sharing the bathroom with a girl on the same floor.

The house is around the glover park area. It has AC, dishwasher, washer and dryer in the basement and you can use them for free

It's about 10 mins walk to GU hospital and it's close to shops, like whole foods, blockbuster, starbucks and etc. on Wisconsin Ave.

The landlord is looking for someone mature and responsible. No smoking No pets. Grad/med student or person with a stable job is preferred.

If interested, please email me at [email protected].

batchild39 said:
My apt was on Volta Pl. I still have it until the end of July I guess. Foxhall is nice and quiet. I guess it's pretty safe, if that's a concern. It's also a really short walk to school.

My place is very near there, on 44th and P. It seems like a really nice, safe neighborhood, and only a very short walk to campus. Not sure how many other places there are around there, but check out the washingtonpost.com classifieds, as well as just drive around looking for signs. Thats what we did, and we really like our place.

And I will be the redheaded one at orientation (I assume I will be the only one, I think they have semi-strict policies on allowing redheads to become doctors) Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Hey whats up all, I just got accepted off the competitive applicant pool and was wondering how do i start this whole shindig now. I need to find a place, but since I am from NY I need a litle guidance as to where to start. Any help would be great and can't wait to see you all at orientation.

Just Applied said:
Hey whats up all, I just got accepted off the competitive applicant pool and was wondering how do i start this whole shindig now. I need to find a place, but since I am from NY I need a litle guidance as to where to start. Any help would be great and can't wait to see you all at orientation.

Congrats! :)

Have you checked out the information on the accepted applicants page?

http://www3.georgetown.edu/som/admissions/admitdocs.html

Please also check out this page regarding orientation

http://www3.georgetown.edu/som/student/m2009orientation.html

(White coats need to be ordered by July 8th.)

You might want to check out this GU housing site for available housing: http://och.georgetown.edu/

Good luck. Please let me know if you have any questions.

peaches09 said:
Congrats! :)

Have you checked out the information on the accepted applicants page?

http://www3.georgetown.edu/som/admissions/admitdocs.html

Please also check out this page regarding orientation

http://www3.georgetown.edu/som/student/m2009orientation.html

(White coats need to be ordered by July 8th.)

You might want to check out this GU housing site for available housing: http://och.georgetown.edu/

Good luck. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for all your help. It seems like there isn't too much more available in the area near Georgetown. Im going to head down there july 10 and stay there the week in hopes to find a place. I am going to the med school first and see if they can help me out there too. Plus it would be better if I were down there myself to see these places.

Not too many active Georgetown SDNers I guess. Anybody out there? Helloooooooooooooo? :)

yeah man - this thread is kinda slow.

whats up though? Congrats on G'town! See you in a month.

Chillin bro, definitely can't wait to hit up DC. You find a place to live yet?

nah i haven't yet man. i've come really really close but the owner of this awsome house that we were close to signing decided to give it to a group of girls (i'm thinking because girls are a lot cleaner).

i've been working on the housing situation - hopefully more things open up as august approaches and summer sessions at g'town come to a close.

what about yourself?

shawty ya'head said:
nah i haven't yet man. i've come really really close but the owner of this awsome house that we were close to signing decided to give it to a group of girls (i'm thinking because girls are a lot cleaner).

i've been working on the housing situation - hopefully more things open up as august approaches and summer sessions at g'town come to a close.

what about yourself?

I haven't even begun to look. I am heading down to DC this sunday and staying there for the week in hopes to find a place to live. I think we still have enough time. DC does have a lot of housing; we just need to know where to look.

hey you guys!

well, i won't be joining Gtown this fall...I will be entering the Fall of 2007 as the Class of 2011. I attend Gtown undergrad and heard earlier this month that I was accepted under the Early Assurance program. YAY!!! I will be spending next year abroad in Oxford, England instead.

Congrats to all. Good luck!!

qtpie055 said:
hey you guys!

well, i won't be joining Gtown this fall...I will be entering the Fall of 2007 as the Class of 2011. I attend Gtown undergrad and heard earlier this month that I was accepted under the Early Assurance program. YAY!!! I will be spending next year abroad in Oxford, England instead.

Congrats to all. Good luck!!

Huh? How'd you swing that!? What's the early assurance program and why the heck didn't I know we could go to England!?!

emster said:
Huh? How'd you swing that!? What's the early assurance program and why the heck didn't I know we could go to England!?!

Hey Emster,

Gtown Undergrad and Med School had a program in which premed students can apply @ the end of their sophomore year for early assurance to the medical school. This allows students to pursue other interests that wouldn't be possible on the regular premed route. Many study abroad, partake in volunteer activities, concentrate on research, study a double major. It's not for everyone..but it really allows me to experience a lot more during my undergrad. I love the Georgetown area!

Has anyone contacted the Admissions Office to check if all your official transcripts have been received?

peaches09 said:
Has anyone contacted the Admissions Office to check if all your official transcripts have been received?

Yeah, I have. You need to call Mr. Ford (Dont' remember his first name). he will tell you if your transcript has been received. The admissions department will connect you straight to him.