GU at Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Korzh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey pips. Hope you all doing fine.
Any input about Hopkins GU fellowship program? How competitive is it? Do you guys think doing elective there will help anyhow? I'd really appreciate your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Well it's arguably the most competitive GU fellowship in the country since it has the biggest GU name in the country, and it probably fills at least 2, and more likely 3 years in advance.

Is there any way to figure out what academic year is already filled?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any way to figure out what academic year is already filled?

Go to their website and send an email to the contact person to ask. They should be able to tell you this. I personally know someone who did the GU fellowship there. He first applied as a 3rd year resident and did not get the spot. Then he did an elective rotation there and applied again the next cycle. He got the spot that time, but that was obviously a year later than he had originally planned and had to fill the intervening time between residency and the GU position with another fellowship, although that's not necessarily a bad thing. This is one reason why some (I stress 'some') people wind up doing two fellowships (because the one they really want they can't get a slot for that times perfectly with the end of residency).

We had a resident do an away rotation there who was ultimately interested in landing the GU fellowship there. She was as good a candidate as anyone else, but was basically told that it was super competitive and her chances might go up if she did a surgical pathology fellowship there prior to the GU fellowship. Bottom line: it's competitive.

As an aside, have you considered Indiana? Another of ours went there for GU and had a very positive experience from what I'm told. Just a thought.

In regards to Indiana's GU program, I interviewed there and spoke with the current fellows. It seems like a top-notch place.

Be aware that they have 2 GU fellow spots though: one is the traditional clinical caseload kind of experience, while the other is only half that...with 6+ months of the fellowship being solid research! Only half a year of training, with the rest spent helping faculty get ever more publications? I suppose that would fit into someone's idea of a great opportunity, but not necessarily if you hope to eventually practice diagnostic pathology.

Unfortunately, at the time of my interview only the intense research spot was still open (a fact they neglected to tell me until the very end of the interview day...but it would have been really nice to know before I bought my plane ticket...) so I kindly withdrew my interest.

Oh well. It seems like a great place if you're into that sort of career.

If you're female, you may end up married to the program director...

utgan3A.jpg

We've had two residents go on to be one of his GU fellows (and we're a small program with 2 residents/year), one was his fellow last year and came back as a junior attending in July. Both did an elective rotation with him as a resident. I think he said that he had fellows up to 2017 filled (but I'd call and check b/c I could've misheard and you should do that anyways with every program you want to apply to as positions often fill with internals and websites are not updated immediately) when he came and gave us a slide session and grand rounds in August. He recommended residents rotate with him before applying when those at the slide session came up and talked with him afterwards. He's actually a good speaker (and I'm not at all interested in GU) and at grand rounds spoke about his research and the new Gleason group score he was recommending to use with the traditional Gleason score.