Guidance Appreciated!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LC Doc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a first year graduate student for Occupational Therapy. I am doing very well in school, (gpa is 3.85.) The problem is, I understand the importance of Occupational Therapy, yet I lack the passion to pursue it as a career. I find OT un-challenging. I plan on going to med school (most likely DO).
I am 23 years old. My undergrad gpa is 3.2--- (not the greatest). I have not taken all of the pre-reqs to apply to med school. I have taken 2 physics courses and the 2 general chemistry classes.

Should stay in my OT program and tough it out… even though I don’t find it interesting? I am not a quitter… but my tuition and living expenses combined are over $50,000 per year…. I am paying for this with student loans.
Or
Should I drop out of my OT program and enroll in a post-bac pre-med program?
I know that I need to shadow, volunteer, boost up my resume and focus on studying for the MCAT… I am determined to make it!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure anyone can give you sound advice on this issue, but I'll give it a shot:

Medical schools request that applicants submit transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended. Considering the level of detail requested in the application, you can't exactly hide the fact that you're in a graduate program right now. So, you do one of two things:

1. Drop out of the graduate program: Since you have some of the prereqs completed, you won't be eligible for a formal postbac premed program. So you take courses (2 bios, 2 maths, 2 orgos, maybe an upper level bio to boost your GPA, even though 3.2 isn't bad) at a college somewhere (make sure you can get a committee letter of recommendation!). You don't really have time to start studying for the MCAT now, so you may take both bios over the summer and math and orgo over the next year, studying for the MCAT January-May 2010, and apply for the entering class of 2011. Then, you apply to medical school, and have to explain why A) you're changing careers, and B) why you appear to be (please don't take this the wrong way) a quitter, because they'll wonder if you are going to quit on them if/when you realize med school isn't for you either. Granted, DO programs tend to be more non-traditional-friendly, but you'll still need to make a compelling case.

+ save $$$
+ save a year
- may hurt your application

2. Stay in the program: You take one more year to complete the minimum requirement for OT. In the summer of 2010, you take bio, then orgo and math during the 2010-2011 school year; studying for the MCAT Jan-May 2011, and apply for the entering class of 2012. Then, you apply to medical school, and have to explain why A) you're changing careers, and B) why you never practiced OT. While this seems similar to the first application scenario, it is easier to make a case when you show that you, at the very least, completed the degree.

+ looks better on an application (though only marginally because you never practiced as an OT)
- spend $$$
- "waste" time

Though this may all seem confusing, I think it boils down to WHY you want to become a physician. If OT training has directed you toward medicine, you may want to continue on with OT to futher explore the patient-physician relationship, and build your resume. If, on the other hand, your interest in medicine has nothing to do with OT, and you can explain this to an admissions committee in a clear and compelling way, then another year of OT training may not be worthwhile.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT DROP OUT OF YOUR CURRENT GRADUATE PROGRAM!!!!!!

if you drop out of your graduate program, you will make it nearly impossible for you to be admitted to any other post bacc, masters, PhD, or medical program. An incomplete graduate program tells admissions officers 2 things:

1. You were unable to complete the program... if she couldnt complete OT, what assurances do we have that she could complete a medical program?

2. She left the OT program... what assurance do we have that she will not leave our program early as well when times get rough?

Ultimately, it is a very bad message to be sending. Tough out your OT program. Use the school you are in to get discounted credits towards your pre-med requirements (usually available to graduate students). Study for the MCAT, take it early next year and start applying immediately after your May(I presume) graduation. OT grad programs should also give you access to a wide range of shadowing and health professional opportunities... take advantage of that... use this time to make your future medical school application golden!