Guidance Pls 3.6cgpa 3.4 sgpa MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

popeye87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum but I hope there's great advice and help for this troubled student. I'm a senior at UIUC (University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign) studying MCB. I'm planning on applying in Summer 2014 only to MD mid tiers as my target. I really want to stay in Illinois cause of my family so Rush, Loyola, UIC, Rosalind Franklin, and Northwestern would be my main goal. Although I've been told to apply broadly, I don't know if I can afford to be far apart from my family right now.

I'm just wanting to see if my chances are slim whether or not I should take two years off before applying and just being real with my stats and EC's.

Heres the break down:

Started off freshmen year with a 3.33 gpa, upward trend sophomore year, junior year kind of dipped a lot..cause I was really sick with more than 10 visits to the hospital (no joke I have all records) cause of respiratory problems and went through a huge financial problem with my family so I couldn't really focus but I know none of these are valid excuses but just thought I'd explain, and now senior year ..I'm hoping to do moderately around 3.6 per semester or better which will result in final gpa of 3.6 and sgpa 3.4.

Also I have unfortunately five C's
Phys 102 C- replaced with a B
Orgo C+
Genetics C
Genetics Lab C+
Gen Chem I C

All but gen chem was during my junior year. Gen chem was during my freshmen year

I haven't taken the MCAT yet but my practice exams have fallen between the range of 31-33. I plan on taking it January 2014.

EC's (these will be very general)
- 2.5 years of working as a Desk Clerk at a Dorm
- 1.5 year research experience (class credit obtained)
- 250 hours of PA for disabled students
- 150 hours of Volunteering
- 50 hours of Shadowing a Pediatrician (just started this in summer 2013
- VP Service of my sorority (I raised $1,000 in one huge breast cancer event that each VP service annually needs to raise, and that was the most ever raised and donated from our chapter so it was a big achievement, I met with lots of breast cancer survivors and doctors, and we did more than 100 hrs of community service in chicago and on campus when I was on exec board in 2012-2013)
- Exec Position for Healthcare group 2013-2014
- Service Trip to CALI for HIV/AIDS for one week in Winter 2012.
- Tentative Missions Trip in the Summer 2014 (so during app time)

I've been loyal to my two orgs since soph year, as well as volunteering as I've been volunteering at the same hospital since soph year in the several departments, and currently I still am active in all the activities listed above except work to focus on my studies and thats why the financial situation escalated... it's a long story.

I know my weaknesses is probably my GPA but I can't do anything about it now as I'm just trying my best to make it a 3.6 and sgpa 3.4 before I apply. I know for sure that these scores do not reflect my full potential thats why I am going all out in preparation for the MCAT. I hope to achieve a score of 33-34. My strengths is verbal and biology, physical sciences ( as you can tell in my C's in those classes) is hard..

So my question is, what is your opinion in my application to apply to mostly Mid Tier MD Schools especially in Chicago...I guess my main goal to get in would be UIC.

I'm graduating on time, but should I take an extra semester on the other four C's and two more science classes or should I just keep my GPA stats at 3.6/3.4 sgpa.

Please let me knowwww. Or just be real with me. I need to evaluate what I need to do or at least be hopeful...

Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

No offense, but your goal should be to get into A medical school, not a SPECIFIC medical school. With your stats (assuming 31-33) and your EC's, you have a decent shot. Those 5 C's might be a red flag though. Northwestern is probably a reach. And just so you know, that C- will not be replaced as a B for AMCAS.

you can explain the dips with your hospital records and what not in the sections where they ask if there is any reason for performance drops

yea NU is a big reach unless you manage a much better MCAT than your average

your GPA is below average for illinois schools, so youre gonna want to try really hard and get above average for the MCAT. Since Rush/Rosy/UIC/Loyola have an average of 31-33, youre gonna want to try and exceed that. that'll give you the best shot.

im a uiuc grad myself, for an idea of other schools in that mid-range take a look at my school list

-also you can always go for SIU, they take only instate, and its easier to get into than the northern illinois med schools, but its definitely a low tier school