Guidelines for Ortho Followup Appts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CopperStripes

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any guidelines (or recommendations, or well-written expert opinions) on the number and frequency of followup visits following various types of orthopedic surgeries? If there's also an explanation of the rationale and necessity for the followup schedule, that's even better.

Is there any evidence that followup at the ortho clinic results in better outcomes than followup with a primary care physician?

Thanks, all!

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any guidelines (or recommendations, or well-written expert opinions) on the number and frequency of followup visits following various types of orthopedic surgeries? If there's also an explanation of the rationale and necessity for the followup schedule, that's even better.

Is there any evidence that followup at the ortho clinic results in better outcomes than followup with a primary care physician?

Thanks, all!

I'll add to what's been said above. For elective surgeries we do 2 weeks in cast/fracture clinic with a resident (wound check, suture/staple removal and to make sure the patient is plugged in with therapy) and then at 6 weeks with the staff. Most staff followup the patient at 3 months and then it varies depending on the surgery.

I can't imagine how mad/upset patients would be if we had them followup with their PCP than us. Some patients want to see the attending at the 2 week mark rather than the resident. Personally I would be pissed to followup with someone who had absolutely nothing to do with the surgery and has no idea about the surgery or rehab. Most PCPs are scared/hesitant to prescribe the amount of narcotics for post-op patients that we do especially for joints.

On the flip side, I would be pissed if I had to see surgical followup as the PCP. Complete waste of time. I would also consider it malpractice to do this.