Guidelines for Reasoning Beyond the Text

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

El Curandero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm having trouble when to and when to not reason beyond the text, especially in the hard science sections. On one hand, they want you to reason beyond the text for Khan practice exams..for example, the answer to a question is that it cannot be deduced from the data because the only goes to 30 C which involves reasoning beyond the text.

OK, but then there will be a question like what would a vitamin B12 deficiency effect? I know from the passage that vitamin B12 plays a role in the formation of Thymine, so I know that DNA replication would be effected but since they're always saying reason beyond the text I chose DNA replication and RNA synthesis since without thymine there would be no DNA to use as model to synthesize RNA...wrong because RNA does not contain uracil, which still wouldn't negate my original reasoning for my answer.

Tldr; I don't know when I'm thinking too hard vs just sticking to the basics.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble when to and when to not reason beyond the text, especially in the hard science sections. On one hand, they want you to reason beyond the text for Khan practice exams..for example, the answer to a question is that it cannot be deduced from the data because the only goes to 30 C which involves reasoning beyond the text.

OK, but then there will be a question like what would a vitamin B12 deficiency effect? I know from the passage that vitamin B12 plays a role in the formation of Thymine, so I know that DNA replication would be effected but since they're always saying reason beyond the text I chose DNA replication and RNA synthesis since without thymine there would be no DNA to use as model to synthesize RNA...wrong because RNA does not contain uracil, which still wouldn't negate my original reasoning for my answer.

Tldr; I don't know when I'm thinking too hard vs just sticking to the basics.

Stick to the basics. Usually the passages will have some kind of information to guide you in the right direction. Remember to answer the right question that they are asking and to pick the LEAST wrong answer. There isn't necessarily always a "right" answer in this new test, but it the key is to pick the least wrong one.