Guilty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pip00

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a predent. But I want to become an OMFS. I know that most dentists do not become OMFS... And i doubt i would be happy as a general dentist. I am afraid that not everyone calls a general dentist a "doctor", and it does bother me. And i feel that OMFS is closer to general surgery than to dentistry(in terms of procedures that they may do). On the other hand i would never want to be a general surgeon because they get paid less than OMFS, while they do a 5yr residency... Also I plan to go to an ivy league dental school, while if i were to apply to medschools, I wouldnt even have the slightest idea which medschool would accept me... So am I applying for all the wrong reasons? And if so, what are my alternatives?

Members don't see this ad.

bombs%20away.jpg

Just get one of those t-shirts that read "Trust me I'm a Doctor"

:barf: pip00

Panther

Members don't see this ad :)
General surgery is 5 years while OMFS is 4 or 6 years. I say this difference is negligible. Especially if you really want to do one over the other.

These are 2 entirely different fields. Have you been exposed to either to make an informed decision?

If you're in it for the money, OMFS is the way to go. But the most money-making procedures are dental (extractions, implants).

Oh good, another kid whose entire self-image depends on whether or not someone will call him doctor in the future. If it is prestige you want, dentistry is the wrong way to go. You will spend the rest of your career with a chip on your shoulder. Many "real" doctors still think of OMS as "just" dentists -- regardless of whether they earn the MD or not.

If you want people to be impressed with your career try ministry or medicine. Both can get you the big bucks; medicine is more work but a little more of a guarantee on the financial side.

I wouldn't even think about dentistry with your attitude; you will be sorry.

pip00 said:
I am a predent. But I want to become an OMFS. I know that most dentists do not become OMFS... And i doubt i would be happy as a general dentist. I am afraid that not everyone calls a general dentist a "doctor", and it does bother me. And i feel that OMFS is closer to general surgery than to dentistry(in terms of procedures that they may do). On the other hand i would never want to be a general surgeon because they get paid less than OMFS, while they do a 5yr residency... Also I plan to go to an ivy league dental school, while if i were to apply to medschools, I wouldnt even have the slightest idea which medschool would accept me... So am I applying for all the wrong reasons? And if so, what are my alternatives?

This is a literary masterpiece. You should send this exact piece of material to all the OMFS residency chairmen in the country. With intellect and insight of this magnitude, most programs will let you forego dental school and start your residency as soon as you earn your BS from that Ivy League school.

pip00 said:

Print this post out and give it to the people at your interviews. It was moving, and I am sure you will get into every school out there with such drive and desire that you speak of. You will be a great addition to our profession. Save your time and money, go to med school or find out what dentistry is really about. You need to be a good general dentist to get into and through OMS. Rethink some things and be open to things. You sound very narrow minded, what do you do once you get throguh dental school and don;t get into OMS.....you are a miserable general dentist they don;t call a "doctor" Think things over with all due respect.
T2006

What bothers me about dentists is that they work in an office, solo. Of course this is also what attracts me to dentistry... But sometimes i even feel like i'd want to work in academia, so that my colleagues and my students could call me "dr"(no the real reason is to have intelligent conversations with them). Silly, i know. But i always use poor wording, i only mean to say that dentists for example work in a completely different atmosphere from the surgeons in large hospitals(or even large single-specialty groups). I sometimes feel like dentists have the same relationship with their patients as veteranarians with animals... At least as a surgeon i can interact with colleagues.

I agree that 4yrs vs 5yrs of residency is not such a big deal. Also OMFS do not work 80+hrs/wk , unlike general surgeons. OMFS have a whole year of anesthesia, right? I havent been exposed to either, and i might say that some of the things about gen. surgery might gross me out or bore me. I doubt that gen. surgery is more interesting, but they are certainly comparable... I know that OMFS can make lots of $ and also can make complex procedures like tumor removal from the throat. My biggest problem with general surgery though is that i wouldnt know what medschool i could get into. I would have to apply to 20 different schools. With dental schools, while i may be rejected by ivy leagues, the process is still much more secure. At least if i want to go to a school in ny or in boston, i can get it.

PantherPaws said:
Just get one of those t-shirts that read "Trust me I'm a Doctor"

:barf: pip00

Panther

haha, i know someone with one of those

Temple 2006 said:
Print this post out and give it to the people at your interviews. It was moving, and I am sure you will get into every school out there with such drive and desire that you speak of. You will be a great addition to our profession. Save your time and money, go to med school or find out what dentistry is really about. You need to be a good general dentist to get into and through OMS. Rethink some things and be open to things. You sound very narrow minded, what do you do once you get throguh dental school and don;t get into OMS.....you are a miserable general dentist they don;t call a "doctor" Think things over with all due respect.
T2006
yeah, i dont know if i would make a good general dentist...

If that's your motivation you will be unable to succeed in dental school and will therefore have no chance at getting into any residency, let alone OMS. Dental school is so brutal that unless you are truly motivated you will drop out, fail, or commit hari kari.

12YearOldKid said:
Oh good, another kid whose entire self-image depends on whether or not someone will call him doctor in the future. If it is prestige you want, dentistry is the wrong way to go. You will spend the rest of your career with a chip on your shoulder. Many "real" doctors still think of OMS as "just" dentists -- regardless of whether they earn the MD or not.

If you want people to be impressed with your career try ministry or medicine. Both can get you the big bucks; medicine is more work but a little more of a guarantee on the financial side.

I wouldn't even think about dentistry with your attitude; you will be sorry.
i read several threads about omfs. and i concluded that only the very ignorant would not call them doctors.

Remember, those that get into OMFS residencies were in the top of their dental school class. That means they got top grades in most of those "general dentist" classes such as operative, endo, pros, etc. If you want to be an OMFS, you have be at the top of class gradewise which means doing excellent in all the things you would be "miserable" doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
drhobie7 said:
If that's your motivation you will be unable to succeed in dental school and will therefore have no chance at getting into any residency, let alone OMS. Dental school is so brutal that unless you are truly motivated you will drop out, fail, or commit hari kari.

so i take it that most people that enter dental school with aspirations to become OMFS drop the idea before finishing dental school? I guess same as most students enter medschool planning to be general surgeons or heart surgeons.

adamlc18 said:
Remember, those that get into OMFS residencies were in the top of their dental school class. That means they got top grades in most of those "general dentist" classes such as operative, endo, pros, etc. If you want to be an OMFS, you have be at the top of class gradewise which means doing excellent in all the things you would be "miserable" doing.
i thought you were mostly graded on the basic science courses, while in the clinical courses you were only graded pass/fail? I dont think i would mind putting in cavities, but i am afraid i would be unhappy to be stuck as a general dentist for life.

pip00 said:
What bothers me about dentists is that they work in an office, solo. Of course this is also what attracts me to dentistry... But sometimes i even feel like i'd want to work in academia, so that my colleagues and my students could call me "dr"(no the real reason is to have intelligent conversations with them). Silly, i know. But i always use poor wording, i only mean to say that dentists for example work in a completely different atmosphere from the surgeons in large hospitals(or even large single-specialty groups). I sometimes feel like dentists have the same relationship with their patients as veteranarians with animals... At least as a surgeon i can interact with colleagues.

I agree that 4yrs vs 5yrs of residency is not such a big deal. Also OMFS do not work 80+hrs/wk , unlike general surgeons. OMFS have a whole year of anesthesia, right? I havent been exposed to either, and i might say that some of the things about gen. surgery might gross me out or bore me. I doubt that gen. surgery is more interesting, but they are certainly comparable... I know that OMFS can make lots of $ and also can make complex procedures like tumor removal from the throat. My biggest problem with general surgery though is that i wouldnt know what medschool i could get into. I would have to apply to 20 different schools. With dental schools, while i may be rejected by ivy leagues, the process is still much more secure. At least if i want to go to a school in ny or in boston, i can get it.

i am pretty sure that most omfs also work out of private or semiprivate offices just like gp's and all the other specialties... also if your grades are good enough to get into a highly competitive dental school then you will be able to get into med school also. if they aren't good and you do go to dental school, you better be ready to work a lot harder if you want to get into omfs (from what i've heard).

just curious was your post for real or were you just trying to make people on here mad?

Biogirl361 said:
i am pretty sure that most omfs also work out of private or semiprivate offices just like gp's and all the other specialties... also if your grades are good enough to get into a highly competitive dental school then you will be able to get into med school also. if they aren't good and you do go to dental school, you better be ready to work a lot harder if you want to get into omfs (from what i've heard).

just curious was your post for real or were you just trying to make people on here mad?

damn it, i wish i could post here.. i'm still predent.. so i guess i'll go back to the predental forum... maybe in a few months i can post here!!

dentwannabe said:
damn it, i wish i could post here.. i'm still predent.. so i guess i'll go back to the predental forum... maybe in a few months i can post here!!

??

pip00 said:
i thought you were mostly graded on the basic science courses, while in the clinical courses you were only graded pass/fail? I dont think i would mind putting in cavities, but i am afraid i would be unhappy to be stuck as a general dentist for life.

"I dont think i would mind putting in cavities"

Give it up, you are so underinformed or probably more misinformed that you have no clue what you are getting into. Go to dentaltown.com. They have forums there where other "dentists" talk intellectually with other "just dentist's , not doctors" about cases. You learn the basics in school. You have a terrible attitude and like others said, you will not do well in school with your attitude toward dentistry and many schools give grades in clinic, not all schools are P/F....prime example of you lacking information. How are you going to be a world class OMS if are assuming soo much? Get the facts first chief!

T2006

pip00 said:
My biggest problem with general surgery though is that i wouldnt know what medschool i could get into. I would have to apply to 20 different schools. With dental schools, while i may be rejected by ivy leagues, the process is still much more secure. At least if i want to go to a school in ny or in boston, i can get it.

While it may be true that med school is more difficult to get into than dental school, this is becoming less the case. The difference in avg gpa's of matriculants at my dental school vs. the local med school is less than a tenth of a point. Don't go into dental school if you're not sure you'd enjoy dentistry. 1) OMS uses the principles learned in dent school to do their job, and 2) OMS is amazingly competitive to get into. If you don't think you could get into med school, you won't be able to get into oral surgery.

pip00 said:
I sometimes feel like dentists have the same relationship with their patients as veteranarians with animals... At least as a surgeon i can interact with colleagues.

Maybe this is your problem. I think a Doctor of any kind of health should be concerned about their patients! Not look at them as you would an animal (although some very lovingly look at animals). Does being a patient make you a lowly peon or closer to your words, a mere dog? Are others with medical degrees the only ones worthy of your interaction?

pip00 said:
i read several threads about omfs. and i concluded that only the very ignorant would not call them doctors.
And only the very ignorant would dare post something as self-absorbed and dimwitted as what you did. Please take your egomania and park it somewhere else.

If prestige is that important to you then you should steer clear of dentistry altogether. Go into medicine.

Better yet, get a high power rifle and climb to the top of a water tower. That's a sure way to garner fame and prestige. ;)

I'm still laughing about how Dentists:thier patients as vets:hungover:ogs :laugh:

ToothMonkey said:
If prestige is that important to you then you should steer clear of dentistry altogether. Go into medicine.

I agree.

I don't understand the need for prestige that some of these people have.

:rolleyes:

pip00 said:
You are also graded in all your preclinical courses such as endo, operative, pros, etc. Many schools also grade you in clinic with A, B, C, D, or F.

pip00 said:
You disgust me. You are wrong.....everyone calls general dentists "Doctor", it's 4 years of school just like med school. Do some research before you open up your immature mouth about topics. Go ahead, do OS for the money....you likely won't get accepted, and moreover you will be unhappy. It is clear you are a lazy kid....can't hack a residency, and are exactly the type that should be denied to dental school.

pip00 said:

I also think that only the very ignorant would not refer to a dentist (of any type) as a doctor. There is a reason why a DDS is a Doctor of Dental Surgery. Any time you cut into a patient, it is surgery. Most of the procedures that any type of dentist performs (except for prophys and exams) are surgical in nature.

As you have said, you have not observed much...therefore I think we should cut you a little bit of slack. Go and see what a general dentist does, go and see what a general surgeon does....then come back and try to have a conversation with us. However, making such unfounded statements is a quick way to offend a lot of people around here.

Man, this thread is awesome.

pip00 said:
What bothers me about dentists is that they work in an office, solo. ... I sometimes feel like dentists have the same relationship with their patients as veteranarians with animals... At least as a surgeon i can interact with colleagues.

are you for real?? ever been to a dentists??

Sara was at least funny!

you know guys, have you ever considered that some posts may be from kids still in high school? maybe they are just trying to find their place in life. sdn'ers do not need to be so nasty to other people's questions. those of you that are so quick to judge others really should ask yourselves why you are willing to put energy into bashing others.

If you want real surgery, try perio. The only problem is that we are still just a lowly DDS (i.e. a "fake doctor") As for oral surgery, the only way they make more money than general surgery is by placing implants and shucking 3rds. You have to think about whether that is what you want. If not go to medicine and do research. I think they will call you doctor and you might get a little respect.

jr8047 said:
you know guys, have you ever considered that some posts may be from kids still in high school? maybe they are just trying to find their place in life. sdn'ers do not need to be so nasty to other people's questions. those of you that are so quick to judge others really should ask yourselves why you are willing to put energy into bashing others.
Then they should not say they are "a predent at an Ivy School". I am sure we would be more courteous if it were not for the blatant egotistical, aloof atitude manifesting itself by the sdner who started this thread.

Periogod said:
If you want real surgery, try perio.

As opposed to all those "fake surgeries" that the OMFS folks do?

Periogod said:
If you want real surgery, try perio. The only problem is that we are still just a lowly DDS (i.e. a "fake doctor") As for oral surgery, the only way they make more money than general surgery is by placing implants and shucking 3rds. You have to think about whether that is what you want. If not go to medicine and do research. I think they will call you doctor and you might get a little respect.

Real surgery? Don't you have some scaling & root planing to do?

This forum is for dental and pre-dental students not for pre-school kids.
I don’t recommend you to become neither a doctor nor a dentist.

aphistis said:
Real surgery? Don't you have some scaling & root planing to do?

One of your best posts ever Bill! :D

well ive decided to stay a predent. here is my reasoning:
option1:
take mcat(since i'm a perfectionist, im afraid i would have to study more and to wait till next august to take it, so i would be late to apply the following cycle). with my gpa(hopefully a 3.5), i could get into some school. but what school that would be, i have no idea. then for the following 9 years i'd have absolutely no life... i think if you go to harvard med(where you know you'll have no trouble getting into general surgery somewhere), you can really enjoy school and tell everyone how prestigious you are. but if you go to some 3rd tier school, then sorry. Of course once you do become a surgeon, it doesnt matter so much where you went to school, but by that time i dont think i'd care about prestige any more:(
option2:
take dat. go to an ivy league dental school. no one will care, because people(not me) think only medschool rejects go into dentistry. but still, i will have to land some respect by resonance, if my columbia medschool classmates go to some social gatherings, so do i.
option 3:
md/ph.d. sounds awesome, but not practical for me.

so i choose option 2.

Oh boy :rolleyes:
Another typical case of a CLUELESS high school kid :rolleyes:
wondering what are the MODS doing these days!

I don't know what you want us to tell you. You want to be an OMFS, so become an OMFS. What's the problem? Afraid you won't make it? So are a lot of others. If it's what you really want to do, you go to dental school, apply to OMFS residency and take your chances.

pip00 said:

pip00 said:
option1:
take mcat(since i'm a perfectionist, im afraid i would have to study more and to wait till next august to take it, so i would be late to apply the following cycle). with my gpa(hopefully a 3.5), i could get into some school. but what school that would be, i have no idea. then for the following 9 years i'd have absolutely no life...

option2:
take dat. go to an ivy league dental school. no one will care, because people(not me) think only medschool rejects go into dentistry. but still, i will have to land some respect by resonance, if my columbia medschool classmates go to some social gatherings, so do i.

Hey pip00, Let's make a deal....ready, this is a one time offer. I will pay for you to take Kaplan and for your MCAT's, as many times as you would like until you get that perfect score, but in return you have to promise to not apply to dental school or take your DAT's. How does that sound? You complain in Med School you will have 9 years of no life. Do the math with dental school, 4 of dental and then 4-6 of OMS. That is 8-10 years with no life. Please accept my offer, I know my fellow SDNer's would help defer the costs. T 2006

Temple 2006 said:
pip00 said:
option1:
take mcat(since i'm a perfectionist, im afraid i would have to study more and to wait till next august to take it, so i would be late to apply the following cycle). with my gpa(hopefully a 3.5), i could get into some school. but what school that would be, i have no idea. then for the following 9 years i'd have absolutely no life...

option2:

Hey pip00, Let's make a deal....ready, this is a one time offer. I will pay for you to take Kaplan and for your MCAT's, as many times as you would like until you get that perfect score, but in return you have to promise to not apply to dental school or take your DAT's. How does that sound? You complain in Med School you will have 9 years of no life. Do the math with dental school, 4 of dental and then 4-6 of OMS. That is 8-10 years with no life. Please accept my offer, I know my fellow SDNer's would help defer the costs. T 2006

i dont think i need a review course for mcat. because i have the textbooks... but if you could get me into columbia college of surgeons assuming i got the mcat covered, i would jump at the offer. or if you just have money to spare, i know of ways to spend it. ive been meaning to get me a private pilot license but it costs $. but instead, i'll promise something i can fullfill-i'll p3wn you on the DAT.

If i go to columbia(i dont mention my dream school-Harvard, because that is not very realistic), i will be taking the same courses as columbia med students. So it wont be as hellish as going to some 3rd tier medschool. Then, i know that i may either change my mind about going on to OMFS or i may not get the grades... Then it means ive spent only 4 years and i can still make out all right financially. But if i do make it to OMFS(i dont see why would i go to the 6yr program unless i were interested in prestige, i think i'll be too old to care about prestige by the time i finish dental school), the residency is not so bad. OMFS from what ive heard do not work 80hrs/wk except for that 1 year when they're doing gen. surgery.

Oh, and another thing. If i go to a 3rd tier medschool, i'll have trouble ever going into academia. I dont intend to go in that direction now. But who knows what will happen. Perhaps if i go to columbia or harvard for dental school, i'll never want to leave the university...

MsPurtell said:
I don't know what you want us to tell you. You want to be an OMFS, so become an OMFS. What's the problem? Afraid you won't make it? So are a lot of others. If it's what you really want to do, you go to dental school, apply to OMFS residency and take your chances.
thanks, i intend to do exactly that!

pip00 said:
so i would be late to apply the following cycle). with my gpa(hopefully a 3.5), take dat. go to an ivy league dental school.

You better hope you do well on your DAT...3.5 if you're lucky huh...going to need more help than just that bud.

DcS said:
You better hope you do well on your DAT...3.5 if you're lucky huh...going to need more help than just that bud.
why, i believe i'd be a shoe in at columbia if i did well(25) on the DAT.. On the other hand a 35 or even 40 on the mcat could only get me into a 3rd tier medschool.

Both Harvard and Columbia looks down upon students like you. We nor any dental school would want someone with your attitude.

Do what you really want to do in life, not what you think is the easy route (AND DENTISTRY IS NOT AN EASY ROUTE: dental students, especially at Harvard and Columbia, have it much harder than medical students).

I recommend learning a phrase that would probably make your life really easy, "Would you like fries with that?"

pip00 said:
why, i believe i'd be a shoe in at columbia if i did well(25) on the DAT.. On the other hand a 35 or even 40 on the mcat could only get me into a 3rd tier medschool.

it's weird, but for some reason, i can't believe you're, like, a real person.

pip00 said:
Temple 2006 said:
i dont think i need a review course for mcat. because i have the textbooks... but if you could get me into columbia college of surgeons assuming i got the mcat covered, i would jump at the offer. or if you just have money to spare, i know of ways to spend it. ive been meaning to get me a private pilot license but it costs $. but instead, i'll promise something i can fullfill-i'll p3wn you on the DAT.

If i go to columbia(i dont mention my dream school-Harvard, because that is not very realistic), i will be taking the same courses as columbia med students. So it wont be as hellish as going to some 3rd tier medschool. Then, i know that i may either change my mind about going on to OMFS or i may not get the grades... Then it means ive spent only 4 years and i can still make out all right financially. But if i do make it to OMFS(i dont see why would i go to the 6yr program unless i were interested in prestige, i think i'll be too old to care about prestige by the time i finish dental school), the residency is not so bad. OMFS from what ive heard do not work 80hrs/wk except for that 1 year when they're doing gen. surgery.

Oh, and another thing. If i go to a 3rd tier medschool, i'll have trouble ever going into academia. I dont intend to go in that direction now. But who knows what will happen. Perhaps if i go to columbia or harvard for dental school, i'll never want to leave the university...

Pip,

I admire you for your courage to ask these basic questions on this forum. I however, also question whether you know what's going on! Where are you in school? What experiences do you have that make you feel like the only way you will be sucessful is to have 1. an md or 2. a degree from a 'prestigous' university.

You also underestimate the MCAT's. This is a VERY challenging exam, not to be taken lightly. The DAT was like a walk in the park compared to the type of exam the MCAT is. With a 3.5 you need a 35+ to get into a top-tier medical school and at least a 30 to be secure in any other school.

It's time to realized that we are not in the 1950s. Doctors as a whole are respected for what they do (md's, dmd's whatever) and will be for a long time. Today, however, doctors are not as highly exhaulted as they once were. My sister is an internist, brother is a surgeon and they get questions from their patients like "doctor, how dare you charge so much for a procedure" when it's like a $100 office visit/lab fee. During my father's best periods (1960-1980) as a surgeon, he ruled the hospital. Now it is the attorneys who are in that position.

If you want respect and admiration, go to law school and become a great lawyer. If you want to help people and make a difference in somebody's health and quality of life, go into medical/dental school. Both are very rewarding.

Dentistry is the best profession in healthcare, no doubt. But then again, one must do it for the right reasons. If you only go into the field for 1. prestige or 2. money, you will be doing yourself a disservice. #2, however, only applies for residencies (Endo, Ortho :p). However, if you go into dentistry for the lifestyle, that is an OKAY answer... but one must go in with an open mind or you will get burned.

Life is full of choices and challenges. Do yourself a service and fully research what your options are, but SDN is only one way. Shadow a general surgeon, an internist, a OMS, a general dentist. Find out what you like. Remember, OMS's will ALWAYS be dentists just as ortho, endo, perio and gp's will always be dentists... and should be proud of having that title. I know I will be :).

-Mike