Gut feeling and if you matched

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radiologyreviews2015

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so this is aimed for people who have matched to answer. Depending on the communication you had with the interviewers, did you think you would/wouldn't match and did you?

Like if the PD said "You're such a strong candidate and we would love having you here", did you then match?

What's your experience? I'm overanalysing all my interviews and what people told me during my interview trial.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so this is aimed for people who have matched to answer. Depending on the communication you had with the interviewers, did you think you would/wouldn't match and did you?

Like if the PD said "You're such a strong candidate and we would love having you here", did you then match?

What's your experience? I'm overanalysing all my interviews and what people told me during my interview trial.

For instance one PD told me "I'm trying to recruite you to start here", does that mean I will match?

There are people who received those messages and matched, and there will be people who did not. Those who did not are less likely to share.

I got plenty of messages like that (an even more programs that didn't send anything). Almost all of those messages are meant to get you to think about the program. If you have warmer and fuzzier feeling about a program, you're more likely to rank them higher, which helps them get their top choices. It's even more important if you interviewed at a program and have forgotten a lot of the "feeling" from when you interviewed. (Lets be honest--most of us will divide programs into different categories using reason and logic, but a lot of the 1st vs 2nd choice, etc., comes down to gut feelings from that 8-hr interview day)

I got maybe one message that was more of a "love letter" that I thought meant maybe they were ranking me highly. And my home program director was pretty clear they were ranking me really high. I took some comfort in that but I didn't count on it.

Like others said, rank programs the way you want, ignore the love letters. Have faith that if you're a decently competitive candidate for your field who interviews decently well and ranked enough programs, that you'll match. And enjoy 4th year--it's really a blast

Two of the programs I ranked higher than where I actually matched sent me personalized messages and I thought I had a great chance at matching there. When I found out I didn't match at either, it was a blow and it took me a while to get excited about my program. But, I'm a year and a half into residency now and I can't imagine being somewhere else right now.

Point being, you will match where you match. You will make the best of it. There is nothing you can do to change the outcome now. Stop worrying about where and enjoy your fourth year.

Reactions: 6 users
I got plenty of messages like that (an even more programs that didn't send anything). Almost all of those messages are meant to get you to think about the program. If you have warmer and fuzzier feeling about a program, you're more likely to rank them higher, which helps them get their top choices. It's even more important if you interviewed at a program and have forgotten a lot of the "feeling" from when you interviewed. (Lets be honest--most of us will divide programs into different categories using reason and logic, but a lot of the 1st vs 2nd choice, etc., comes down to gut feelings from that 8-hr interview day)

I got maybe one message that was more of a "love letter" that I thought meant maybe they were ranking me highly. And my home program director was pretty clear they were ranking me really high. I took some comfort in that but I didn't count on it.

Like others said, rank programs the way you want, ignore the love letters. Have faith that if you're a decently competitive candidate for your field who interviews decently well and ranked enough programs, that you'll match. And enjoy 4th year--it's really a blast
What do you all think about programs that gave really good feedback in personal emails but then don't send you official post-interview communication when they sent it to a lot of other people? I'm well aware that this does not look good but I was hoping to see if anyone else had a similar experience!

What do you all think about programs that gave really good feedback in personal emails but then don't send you official post-interview communication when they sent it to a lot of other people? I'm well aware that this does not look good but I was hoping to see if anyone else had a similar experience!
that you are overthinking all of this...

Reactions: 1 user
I thought I'd match in my top 3 (all places I rotated) and I didn't. Got a card from my #2, interviewed at #3 while I was on rotation there, and had spent an insane amount of time during med school with the department from #1. It is what it is.

My #1 was beyond my wildest dreams, but I felt pretty strongly that I would match at either my #2 or #3. I felt that I had an excellent interview with all of my top 3, but that the #2 and #3 were more obtainable. To my shock and excitement, I matched at my #1.

Most people who match, do so within their top 3. People tend to rank where they want to work higher, and it reflects positively on those interviews and they get ranked higher. Not to mention that if someone is very interested in a program, they also audition, which could potential help the applicant if they are strong.

Several programs sent me very positive correspondence after my interviews, which made me feel like I had a very good shot at matching within my top 4 or 5 programs. I ended up not matching at all. So that probably says something about both the value of post-interview communication and about being a US-IMG.

Several programs sent me very positive correspondence after my interviews, which made me feel like I had a very good shot at matching within my top 4 or 5 programs. I ended up not matching at all. So that probably says something about both the value of post-interview communication and about being a US-IMG.

Same here. I even went on a second look for one of my programs and I thought for sure I'd match there at least. I had another safety program sitting above that too. Didn't match anywhere.

You have to keep in mind that these letters very well could be sincere but there are only a limited amount of spots in each program and it is hard to predict what other applicants will do. You could have been #5 on someone's list or within the top 10 but if that program only has 4 spots and all 4 of those applicants above you rank that program #1, you won't match there even though they liked you.

Moral of the story: some are sincere and genuine, some are not. You can't put much stock into post-interview contact for a multitude of reasons.

Reactions: 2 users

I think there is a major difference between friendly/positive correspondence vs. committment statements

They have to send you committing statements like "you are our top candidate", "we are seriously considering you", "we are ranking you to match" and during the actual interview they show genuine interest in you and tell you to your face "you are a good fit", "we would love to have you". There are definitely differences though between PDs.

Also I received hand written notes and gifts from several programs.

I feel the positive correspondence has to be spontaneous from their side (not in response to a thank you note) Often times PD are very nice and send you a nice message after you send the thank you note. This is just manners.

But yeah being a US-IMG is a huge disadvantage and I feel for you.

Also 2nd looks I think are mainly for your benefit. A few of my programs offered 2nd looks to all, some offered to only their top candidates, and some were just you scheduled yourself.

That sucks, what field?

Same here. I even went on a second look for one of my programs and I thought for sure I'd match there at least. I had another safety program sitting above that too. Didn't match anywhere.
Sorry man, what field?

I think there is a major difference between friendly/positive correspondence vs. committment statements

They have to send you committing statements like "you are our top candidate", "we are seriously considering you", "we are ranking you to match" and during the actual interview they show genuine interest in you and tell you to your face "you are a good fit", "we would love to have you". There are definitely differences though between PDs.

Also I received hand written notes and gifts from several programs.

I feel the positive correspondence has to be spontaneous from their side (not in response to a thank you note) Often times PD are very nice and send you a nice message after you send the thank you note. This is just manners.

But yeah being a US-IMG is a huge disadvantage and I feel for you.

Also 2nd looks I think are mainly for your benefit. A few of my programs offered 2nd looks to all, some offered to only their top candidates, and some were just you scheduled yourself.

I never got any spontaneous communication from the program's side this year, but one of the programs that I interviewed at was really positive. One of my interviewers said "we'd love to have you here", "you would fit well here", "you are the type of person who would do well here", etc, etc. I'd prefer it if the PD's dispense with the manners, honestly, lol.

I feel i had good interviews with my top 6. Would be fine with any of them. Have my preference but still not going to freak out if I drop to 5. So I wait ever so patiently.
I matched so something must have worked. Now, let's see how well I can sell myself! Come on Friday!

Reactions: 1 users
Matched in gen surg categorical. None of my top choices sent me love letters, but I did get a few from further on down. On the trail, most places flat out told me, "we'd love to have you, you're a great fit, etc" but no solid words of commitment. And by now, I hope we all know to take those statements with a huge grain of salt!

Honestly, I'm so happy to have a spot that I'd be able to see the silver lining in almost all my ranked programs. The exception is the last one, which in hindsight, I should not have ranked. Ah well, all water under the bridge now....

And so...we wait.

Reactions: 1 user