GW vs VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bobaguy

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m super fortunate to have acceptances at both amazing institutions. I know I can’t go wrong with either choice, however it has been tough deciding. I greatly appreciate all your help, thanks again.

GW
Pros:
  • Location: DC is amazing and offers many unique opportunities, and good food hehe.
  • Connections with NIH, Walter Reed, Children’s National, etc.
  • Strong match list as always
  • Attended second look and enjoyed meeting incoming classmates along with upperclassmen
  • Scholarly concentration in global health (some current students recently went to Vietnam over their summer break)
  • Possibility of matching around DC if I choose to
  • Family and friends live in Northern Virginia (~40 minutes away without traffic)
  • Mix of in-house and NBME exams
  • P/F preclinical (unsure about internal ranking)
Cons:
  • Expensive tuition. I fortunately qualified for the maximum need-based aid, but tuition still comes down to roughly 49k/year.
  • Cost of living is also very high in and around DC area
  • Never lived in a large city so not sure how distracting it may be
  • Name and Shame thread on reddit but just n=1
VCU
Pros:
  • In-state tuition plus generous scholarship making tuition alone 15k/year
  • Richmond is way more affordable than DC
  • Facilities are nice and newer
  • Have heard amazing things about their curriculum
  • Class is known to be tight-knit and supportive of each other (I’m sure this is true about GW as well)
  • Again, family and friends live in Northern Virginia (~1 hour and 30 min commute)
  • P/F preclinical (unsure about internal ranking)
Cons:
  • Location. Not familiar with Richmond but heard it’s a small and wonderful city.
  • Slightly lower ranked than GW (but I think they’re both pretty similar in prestige)
  • Worried about there being fewer opportunities compared to GW
I may have missed a few things, but these were my main points.

Members don't see this ad.

They're ranked pretty similar, so personally, I'd follow that sweet scholarship

Reactions: 1 user
VCU seems great financially. It depends on how important it is for you to stay close to F&F and match in DC. However, I imagine it won't be too difficult to match into DC residencies from VCU either.

Members don't see this ad :)
VCU easily! both so similar - follow the money! 200k vs 60k in debt is the dealbreaker imo

You can still match to DC-area hospitals if you went to VCU. (And conversely.)

If your purpose motivates you to pursue global health, the opportunities at GW are going to be incredible. If you aren't that crazy about global health, VCU should be enough.

Reactions: 1 users