GWU student, chances of GWU SMP? Low GPA, PLEASE HELP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uchihastan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am a second semester African American senior interested in applying to medical school but my low GPA has me at a crossroads on how to go about it. I am interested in SMPs. GW in particular as I am a student there. Between the GWU master of science (SMP) and the graduate certificate program, they accept around 30 students. What are my chances? They look at GPAs above 3.0. I am also a senior at GW right now trying to apply ASAP bc its rolling admissions. Here are my stats so far:

Major: biology with concentration in cell and molecular biology
Minor: psychology
  • 3.28 cGPA at GW
    • My gpa at my university is 3.28 but that is without the credits I transferred. I took organic chem 1 and 2 at a community college over the summer and got A’s in both therefore my overall GPA is 3.32 is after factoring those in. I am hoping to get my GPA up to a 3.4 by the end of this semester- I am taking 16 credits
    • Also here is my yearly GPA (each just consisting of my grades that academic year):
      • Freshman GPA: 3.3
      • Sophomore GPA: 3.1
      • Junior: 3.36
      • Senior (Fall only): 3.49
  • 3.06 sGPA
    • C+ in gen chem 1 and 2, C in biochem, and C in genetics everything else A’s and B’s
  • Undergraduate (preclinical) research assistant at my university's medical school for one academic school year
  • Learning assistant in an intro biology class for one semester + biology tutor for that same amount of time
  • Marketing chair of iGEM as of Fall 2019- our org was created last semester
  • Philanthropy chair of AXE (chemistry frat) since Fall 2019, member for 2 years, I also do chemistry tutoring through this organization
  • Took a scribe class and did clinicals for a semester
  • Taking a theory and research in clinical practice class this semester, will do more clinicals for that class as well--> I will do shifts at hospital + complete a research project with my group

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello!

I am a second semester African American senior interested in applying to medical school but my low GPA has me at a crossroads on how to go about it. I am interested in SMPs. GW in particular as I am a student there. Between the GWU master of science (SMP) and the graduate certificate program, they accept around 30 students. What are my chances? They look at GPAs above 3.0. I am also a senior at GW right now trying to apply ASAP bc its rolling admissions. Here are my stats so far:

Major: biology with concentration in cell and molecular biology
Minor: psychology
  • 3.28 cGPA at GW
    • My gpa at my university is 3.28 but that is without the credits I transferred. I took organic chem 1 and 2 at a community college over the summer and got A’s in both therefore my overall GPA is 3.32 is after factoring those in. I am hoping to get my GPA up to a 3.4 by the end of this semester- I am taking 16 credits
    • Also here is my yearly GPA (each just consisting of my grades that academic year):
      • Freshman GPA: 3.3
      • Sophomore GPA: 3.1
      • Junior: 3.36
      • Senior (Fall only): 3.49
  • 3.06 sGPA
    • C+ in gen chem 1 and 2, C in biochem, and C in genetics everything else A’s and B’s
  • Undergraduate (preclinical) research assistant at my university's medical school for one academic school year
  • Learning assistant in an intro biology class for one semester + biology tutor for that same amount of time
  • Marketing chair of iGEM as of Fall 2019- our org was created last semester
  • Philanthropy chair of AXE (chemistry frat) since Fall 2019, member for 2 years, I also do chemistry tutoring through this organization
  • Took a scribe class and did clinicals for a semester
  • Taking a theory and research in clinical practice class this semester, will do more clinicals for that class as well--> I will do shifts at hospital + complete a research project with my group

Honestly? If you grinded your MCAT and did better than like a 512, you would probably have quite a bit of success in an app cycle. Your EC's are quite low both nonclin and clin volunteering wise but if you got those numbers up youd be pretty set MD wise. You would have very high success through a DO cycle

To answer your question: I wouldnt do an SMP at all. Do well in a DIY postbac for a year if you really wanted to have your options very open. Dont do an SMP its super expensive and only good for people with completely shot GPA/reinventor

I think a SMP would be a mistake. They are high risk-high reward and they cost a lot. You have to get a 3.7+ GPA or it’s more or less game over for med school. What makes you think you could get that GPA? You’ve never come close to a 3.5 let alone a 3.7+. You’d probably be better off taking a couple of semesters of high level science courses and do as well as possible. You have to try to prove to ADCOMS that you are up to the rigors of med school. Score very well on the MCAT and work hard on improving your ECs and try applying in 2021 or 2022. Depending on your MCAT you could apply to the HBCU schools, your state schools and some mission driven schools if you can prove service to others through your volunteering.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think a SMP would be a mistake. They are high risk-high reward and they cost a lot. You have to get a 3.7+ GPA or it’s more or less game over for med school. What makes you think you could get that GPA? You’ve never come close to a 3.5 let alone a 3.7+. You’d probably be better off taking a couple of semesters of high level science courses and do as well as possible. You have to try to prove to ADCOMS that you are up to the rigors of med school. Score very well on the MCAT and work hard on improving your ECs and try applying in 2021 or 2022. Depending on your MCAT you could apply to the HBCU schools, your state schools and some mission driven schools if you can prove service to others through your volunteering.

I see, thank you for your honesty. What upper level science courses are referring to? Do you recommend I retake the general chem 1&2, genetics, and biochem? Is it alright if I do these courses at a community college? That would be more in my price range. Thank you so much!

Also, GW offers a 1 year version of the masters program but its actually a graduate certificate program, do you think this is better suited for me or do you see it as just as much of a mistake?

Last edited:
Honestly? If you grinded your MCAT and did better than like a 512, you would probably have quite a bit of success in an app cycle. Your EC's are quite low both nonclin and clin volunteering wise but if you got those numbers up youd be pretty set MD wise. You would have very high success through a DO cycle

To answer your question: I wouldnt do an SMP at all. Do well in a DIY postbac for a year if you really wanted to have your options very open. Dont do an SMP its super expensive and only good for people with completely shot GPA/reinventor
Thank you for your encouraging and honest feedback! If I were to do a DIY postbacc do you suggest I retake the classes I got C's in or focus on taking higher level science classes? Or both? Also, is a community college acceptable? I prefer the teaching style at mine. I did very well in organic 1 and 2 there. Plus, it is much cheaper. I will definitely work on my ECs both clinical and non clinical. I am trying to get a job at the hospital, preferably a scribe or research assistant, and do some non clinical ECs to supplement. Depending on my courseload if I do a DIY post bacc, I would just do volunteering because I know hospital shifts can be pretty demanding

Don’t retake any Cs. Neither application service replace grades , they would count both. So you would just be adding hours without much benefit. If a CC has upper level science courses that would be fine. Scribing would be okay but a research assistant usually doesn’t have much(if any) direct patient contact. And that’s what you need. Shoot for around 200 hours of clinical experience. You also need shadowing. Be sure to get some with a primary care doc. You need around 50 hours of shadowing. You also need around 200 hours of nonclinical volunteering to the unserved/underserved in your community.
But your GPA and the MCAT are very important. Don’t take the MCAT until you are scoring at or above your target goal on several FL practice tests.

Don’t retake any Cs. Neither application service replace grades , they would count both. So you would just be adding hours without much benefit. If a CC has upper level science courses that would be fine. Scribing would be okay but a research assistant usually doesn’t have much(if any) direct patient contact. And that’s what you need. Shoot for around 200 hours of clinical experience. You also need shadowing. Be sure to get some with a primary care doc. You need around 50 hours of shadowing. You also need around 200 hours of nonclinical volunteering to the unserved/underserved in your community.
But your GPA and the MCAT are very important. Don’t take the MCAT until you are scoring at or above your target goal on several FL practice tests.
Wow this is all great information. I will definitely do all of this. Thank you for giving the specific amount of hours as well as I can figure out how to budget the time!! I really appreciate it.

His stats are low for medical school, but a few general comments/thoughts:
1. A. 3.7 is the average/median GPA for students that matriculate to allopathic medical school each year. A 3.5-3.6, while not helpful, will not keep you out if you have a sufficiently high MCAT and the extracurriculars to back it up. Osteopathic medical school (DO) a 3.4-3.5 would likely be considered competitive.
2. He is URM. Even as such a 3.2/3.3 is pretty low but possible.
3. I agree with the poster above that a SMP would be a huge mistake. Numerous "Cs" in intro chem, biochem, and genetics make me think that you are not prepared for a SMP or medical school yet.
4. Take classes after graduation as a DIY post bacc. Be selective. Shop professors for easier A grades.
5. Given your previous academic history, I recommend that you take at least 6 months of dedicated time to study for the MCAT. While it is often advised that you do not repeat grades of a C or higher, I think I would make an exception in this case for the chemistry. It will help you improve your MCAT score. Also, if you can't handle undergrad biochem, medical school will be a nightmare for you.

Last edited:
Also consider a gap year or two to prepare for the MCAT and medical school.

1. A. 3.7 is the average/median GPA for students that matriculate to allopathic medical school each year. A 3.5-3.6, while not helpful, will not keep you out if you have a sufficiently high MCAT and the extracurriculars to back it up. Osteopathic medical school (DO) a 3.4-3.5 would likely be considered competitive.
3. I agree with the poster above that a SMP would be a huge mistake. Numerous "Cs" in intro chem, biochem, and genetics make me think that you are not prepared for a SMP or medical school yet.
4. Take classes after graduation as a DIY post bacc. Be selective. Shop professors for easier A grades.
5. Given your previous academic history, I recommend that you take at least 6 months of dedicated time to study for the MCAT. While it is often advised that you do not repeat grades of a C or higher, I think I would make an exception in this case for the chemistry. It will help you improve your MCAT score. Also, if you can't handle undergrad biochem, medical school will be a nightmare for you.

While much of this is good, I disagree with finding teachers that give Easy As . This is fine for gen ed classes but at some point OP has to figure out how to conquer the sciences successfully or he will be in a terrible place if he gets into med school. Of course if he doesn’t learn much he won’t have to worry because his MCAT will reflect the easy A he received.

Reactions: 1 user
While much of this is good, I disagree with finding teachers that give Easy As . This is fine for gen ed classes but at some point OP has to figure out how to conquer the sciences successfully or he will be in a terrible place if he gets into med school. Of course if he doesn’t learn much he won’t have to worry because his MCAT will reflect the easy A he received.
I'm actually a woman haha sorry I guess thats hard to tell because I don't have my pronouns anywhere! I see what you mean. Honestly I had a solid B in biochem until the final, the prof kinda screwed everyone over but I knew my stuff. His final is known to be killer. I agree with not shopping for easy A's. I look for professors that have great reviews on rmp not to get an easy A but so I can receive instruction conducive to my learning style.

I meant my comment as a strategy for increasing his GPA and not necessarily for MCAT content classes. I think he needs at least 2-3 semesters of DIY post bacc work and time to prepare for the MCAT. I completely agree with you that he needs to actually learn the material or he will bomb the MCAT and render everything else pretty much moot. At a certain MCAT level even URM status won't save him. With all of this said, I wouldn't necessarily conclude that an easy A class will hinder him IF he puts in the work to learn the material. You get whatever you put into it.

Last edited:
Hello! I am a woman but I see my pronouns are not on this post so sorry about that!

I see what you mean. In terms of higher level courses, what would you suggest? I have "justifications" for 2/4 of my C's but I try not to include them in these posts because I don't want to come across as trying to make excuses or anything. I actually already applied for the GW SMP but even if I do get in I plan to take your advice into consideration. If anything, I would take higher level science courses at a cc before matriculating in the fall. I saw Goro's list of some courses. I'm currently taking human phys lab, got A's in bio stat, molecular bio, bio of cancer, and a B in cell bio. Do you have anything specific in mind? Thanks so much!

Hello! I am a woman but I see my pronouns are not on this post so sorry about that!

I see what you mean. In terms of higher level courses, what would you suggest? I have "justifications" for 2/4 of my C's but I try not to include them in these posts because I don't want to come across as trying to make excuses or anything. I actually already applied for the GW SMP but even if I do get in I plan to take your advice into consideration. If anything, I would take higher level science courses at a cc before matriculating in the fall. I saw Goro's list of some courses. I'm currently taking human phys lab, got A's in bio stat, molecular bio, bio of cancer, and a B in cell bio. Do you have anything specific in mind? Thanks so much!

I like Goro's suggestions. I definitely suggest you retake your chemistry course series. Others will disagree with me, but the reality is that your gen chem is all C level course work, you took Orgo (at a community college if I understood you correctly which is likely less rigorous), and you also received a C in biochem. I can understand having a bad professor, but doing poorly in all of the courses is evidence of there being a major disconnect with the material.

I also cannot emphasize enough that the other poster I quoted is correct that a SMP is risky. The content of SMP programs usually mirrors that of the first year of medical school, and it does not look like you can handle it at this time. If you complete the SMP and bomb it, it is game over.

Edited: If you received A grades in orgo, I would leave those alone, but make sure you really learned the material. It obviously varies by school, but many community colleges are notorious for not being as rigorous as four year schools. It will still look like you took easier courses at a CC during the summer to avoid tougher classes at your four year school so be prepared for that too! It's a little late to do anything about that now though and retaking would be foolish as you don't appear to do well in chemistry courses at your four year university.

I like Goro's suggestions. I definitely suggest you retake your chemistry course series. Others will disagree with me, but the reality is that your gen chem is all C level course work, you took Orgo (at a community college if I understood you correctly which is likely less rigorous), and you also received a C in biochem. I can understand having a bad professor, but doing poorly in all of the courses is evidence of there being a major disconnect with the material.

I also cannot emphasize enough that the other poster I quoted is correct that a SMP is risky. The content of SMP programs usually mirrors that of the first year of medical school, and it does not look like you can handle it at this time. If you complete the SMP and bomb it, it is game over.

Edited: If you received A grades in orgo, I would leave those alone, but make sure you really learned the material. It obviously varies by school, but many community colleges are notorious for not being as rigorous as four year schools. It will still look like you took easier courses at a CC during the summer to avoid tougher classes at your four year school so be prepared for that too! It's a little late to do anything about that now though and retaking would be foolish.
I do agree that I should take at least both gen chem first. I am totally fine retaking biochem as well. As for genetics, it was simply a bad professor considering I did well in molecular bio, cell bio, and cancer bio. That professor was actually put on probation after the semester I took it because she did such a poor job. I see its easier for me to justify my genetics grade considering I've done well in all other bio courses, so it looks like an anomaly. I understand that my track record with chemistry can be interpreted as though I just didn't understand the material, which is true to an extent. I simply couldn't keep up at the time but I know I can do well if I take it again because I know how to study for college chem. So I think I will retake gen chem 1 and 2 this summer in addition to expanding on ECs. Perhaps I will also throw a bio course like human physiology in there as well. My cc offers a capstone seminar in biotechnology, do you think this is a good course or not as relevant?

I completely understand! I actually am apart of a chem frat so I have tutored orgo since I took it over the summer. I initially took it at GW but withdrew. From my experience, it was the exact same material. The only difference was that we had homework in the class. I also had more time to study since it was the only class I was taking but I wouldn't call it easy even at a cc. I completely understand the connotation that comes with cc courses though.

Thank you!

My cc offers a capstone seminar in biotechnology, do you think this is a good course or not as relevant?

I'm not sure what a capstone seminar necessarily entails at your school. As a general rule, biotechnology courses are considered BCPM and will help your science GPA and medical school prospects if you receive an A.