H&N Fellowship rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anotherh&nwannabe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread. I'm a soon-to-be ENT resident from a small centre in southeast asia. I'm pretty interested in H&N surgical oncology and hope to be a H&N surgeon in future.

In terms of fellowship positions, I've read from the various threads that H&N fellowships are (very generally speaking) less competitive than say facial plastics or neuro-otology. However there are a number which are very competitive and still fill up every year with many applicants.

Just wondering, which are these well-known centres which are very competitive etc? How can we get to know which centres have more hands on experience, which centres will have more case load etc for the fellows? Which centres will train their surgeons in TORS and endoscopic sinonasal tumours (or are these strictly under rhinology?)

I would be very interested to hear about the experience of H&N fellowships on this forum!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

There are places like MD Anderson and MSK that will always be known for their prestige and will be heavily pursued. After that, it can boil down to several aspects of a program that are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Places with high volume H&N surgery like Ohio State or Vanderbilt or Iowa will be pursued. Places that specialize in TORS like UAB or UPenn will be attractive because of that aspect of their program. Are you interested in an ablative fellowship? UPitt might be a great place to go. Are you interested in microvascular alone? There are fellowships that are just microvascular -- no ablative component. There are fellowships that involve both ablation and reconstruction. Some places like Pitt will give you the open and endoscopic experience; however, often the bigger centers will have both H&N and rhinology fellowships, so tumors that are accessible endoscopically will go to the rhinologists. It depends. You just have to do you research and ask questions when you interview.