Hackensack University-Envision or Private Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTMD

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Looking at jobs in Northern NJ and found these two listings. Looks like both are at Hackensack, but one is for Envision and the other seems to be a private practice or hospital group. Does anyone have insight into the practice there? Is Envision being forced out or are there two groups practicing there simultaneously similar to NAPA and NSLIJ? Is there a chance the group is being brought in house by the hospital?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Had a colleague who joined Hackensack as a peds attending then quit within a year. Crazy hours …

Reactions: 1 users
That group ran lean even before the buyout. The same people stayed on and basically continued that model. Now you work hard and you’ll get a far ****tier deal than the partners who sold out. 400-450 is what I’ve seen there. Maybe a token bonus. The real bonuses are still paid to the former partners though.

When I interviewed at other jobs, every person told me to stay away from Hackensack. I'm not sure why they are okay with all that churning and turnover. It's a large hospital, great payor mix, profitable center, yet they run that lean and pay so little for the work. One of the pavilions is named after one of the anesthesiologists so clearly money is not an issue there. I don't even know why they sold out to begin with hearing how much the partners were making.

Reactions: 1 user
When I interviewed at other jobs, every person told me to stay away from Hackensack. I'm not sure why they are okay with all that churning and turnover. It's a large hospital, great payor mix, profitable center, yet they run that lean and pay so little for the work. One of the pavilions is named after one of the anesthesiologists so clearly money is not an issue there. I don't even know why they sold out to begin with hearing how much the partners were making.
John D. Rockefeller was once asked “How much money is enough?” He answered “Just a little bit more.”

Don’t work there. Horrible culture. They work you to the ground and for the amount you’re working should be making mcuh much more than 450k with the payor mix they have. The older partners that stayed on only care about enriching themselves and giving themselves the chill schedules with little or no call. The chair there is only concerned with himself and sees the rest of the department as interchangeable stool sitters. One of the older partners there drives a Rolls Royce . That should tell you how much they used to make before selling out…

I zoom interviewed there. The chair seemed like a sleazy businessman anesthesiologist. They asked me to come in and interview. Never showed up. im glad I didn’t.

Going to continue the pile on, my friend lasted a year there said it was horrible. Frequent call with very late days. They dump ****ty cases and rooms on the new hires. The sort of culture where it’s your turn to get out and your relief is hiding in the lounge for an hour. Tons of training programs in the area so they get a steady stream of new hires, no reason to improve working conditions. Sounded as though the non call track could be tolerable if you can stomach the pay cut.

Members don't see this ad :)
i interviewed there 4-5 years ago and they were offering that same salary back then. everywhere else has seen some inflation with the salary yet that one is still the same.

before i interviewed, they would have luncheons and the only attendings that came were per diem, FT for less than a year, or senior faculty that were presumably partners. no one in between.

when i actually went for my interview, i only saw the chair, vice chair, and a former resident from my old program. i wasn’t close with him and i saw him with the chair and vice chair so i couldn’t expect to get honest answers. at the end of the interview, i went to locker room to change back into my interview suit and i just happened to run into another anesthesiologist who told me he regularly stayed past 7. just a grinding practice. it just seemed too busy for me. and that was when $415k was on the high end. now it’s not and i’d stay away

I worked for envision across multiple practices in multiple states. I will never let those goons bill for care under my license again. Here’s to rising interest rates and labor costs driving them straight into bankruptcy.

Reactions: 2 users
Jeez, how are they able to get anyone to work for them with the whole anesthesia world knowing about how bad of a place it is. It's not like the money is even palatable to deal with. Do they only take on people without board certification or some huge other red flags that wouldn't get them employed anywhere else?

Jeez, how are they able to get anyone to work for them with the whole anesthesia world knowing about how bad of a place it is. It's not like the money is even palatable to deal with. Do they only take on people without board certification or some huge other red flags that wouldn't get them employed anywhere else?
Yup. That practice has a bunch of never boarded docs. Some others with drug problems. Also some new grads that don’t know any better. For a long time they didn’t have CRNA’s but that is changing….

Hackensack is right across the Hudson. Can see the Manhattan skyline from the hospital rooftop. A lot of the attendings that work in Hackensack actually live in Manhattan

Why would you do that? For the joys of paying city tax on top of state and federal? You get off on paying 20 bucks to cross a bridge? Or is it the 25 dollar mediocre cocktails that draws you in?

Reactions: 6 users
I think much of your information is old. I've worked at Hackensack for several years and the pay after all the premiums is in the mid 600 range. I love working there. It is a stable and fair system. Too bad that many of you don't want to believe that. Busy, yes. But busy affords stabiltiy, especially in these times when hospitals are taking over groups.

• Dislike
I think much of your information is old. I've worked at Hackensack for several years and the pay after all the premiums is in the mid 600 range. I love working there. It is a stable and fair system. Too bad that many of you don't want to believe that. Busy, yes. But busy affords stabiltiy, especially in these times when hospitals are taking over groups.

Won’t be long before Hackensack realizes that the same game Napa played with Northwell all those years is the same one Envision is playing. Hospital take over is the next step especially when they group starts asking for larger and larger stipends, won’t cover at certain times.

The big players at that group and I knew a few of them rode off into the sunset with the Sheridan Buyout over a decade ago and still have a pretty sweet deal with them. Everyone else…watch out.

Show us the paystubs with your name blanked out

Last edited:
For you to be making mid 600s there you must be taking a TON of call. What time are you leaving daily and how many calls a week?

Ive interviewed there less than a year ago, and I definitely wasnt going to make 600k based on what they told me. They also sounded like used car salesman, so I am pretty sure they were overselling the compensation.

I have no specific knowledge of the practice, but I would note that this is @anes11 first post and s/he just joined the forum.

They told me there is no stipend from hospital. That is good. Salary recently went up. I get paid extra after 5pm and extra for extra call from others. I am assigned 1/month.
I interviewed many places and there were no perfect jobs out there. I still look but happy where I am for now.
Yes, I am a new member to your family.

They told me there is no stipend from hospital. That is good. Salary recently went up. I get paid extra after 5pm and extra for extra call from others. I am assigned 1/month.
I interviewed many places and there were no perfect jobs out there. I still look but happy where I am for now.
Yes, I am a new member to your family.

So how many extra calls are you taking and how late are you staying routinely to make in the mid 600s

Mid 600s is tough anywhere even as a partner in democratic group. The few I know that make that work very hard with lots of off hour work.

I've seen a lot of full time hospital jobs starting at 525k with 100k bonuses. Is that the market these days?

not if you look in this forum? seems like everyone and their cousin is clearing 800k easy with PP with 13 weeks off
Where is a 800k easy PP job with 13 weeks off in the tri state area? Sounds great.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I would stay far far away from this group. There is no practice in the area more malignant than this Envision group. Anecdotes and feedbacks from attendings currently working there speak much louder volume than that @anes11 post. Stability is the keyword of the company line when I interviewed there not long ago. That post does remind me of certain some people from the group management that interviewed me. This group CANNOT retain any talents. Majority of the new hires quit within a year. It has gone from a MD-only group to inclusion of CRNAs in the past few months. Even with that, they are still severely understaffed. Not surprisingly, I heard the new CRNAs already put in their notices. Another round of mass exodus of attendings is also under way. So if you want to join a group that is rapidly falling apart, be my guest. Stability is a joke when they can't come up with a way to retain their staff. 12+ hour days, 2+ weekends/month are routine there.

Last edited:
  • Wow
I would stay far far away from this group. There is no practice in the area more malignant than this Envision group. Anecdotes and feedbacks from attendings currently working there speak much louder volume than that @anes11 post. Stability is the keyword of the company line when I interviewed there not long ago. That post does remind me of certain some people from the group management that interviewed me. This group CANNOT retain any talents. Majority of the new hires quit within a year. It has gone from a MD-only group to inclusion of CRNAs in the past few months. Even with that, they are still severely understaffed. Not surprisingly, I heard the new CRNAs already put in their notices. Another round of mass exodus of attendings is also under way. So if you want to join a group that is rapidly falling apart, be my guest. Stability is a joke when they can't come up with a way to retain their staff. 12+ hour days, 2+ weekends/month are routine there.
Is the leadership of the hospital or envision aware of how the turnover is? Why would they be okay with the group leadership running the group that badly in terms of staffing? I'm sure the surgeons can't be too happy in having random people in and out so frequently

Is the leadership of the hospital or envision aware of how the turnover is? Why would they be okay with the group leadership running the group that badly in terms of staffing? I'm sure the surgeons can't be too happy in having random people in and out so frequently

Maybe hospital leadership and surgeons are random people coming and going too.

Are there better options nearby? Where do the new hires go when they leave?

Envision and Hackensack / meridian are firmly attached at the hip. The hospital counts on envisions bloated reimbursement to spare then the horrors of clinical stipends. When I interviewed at Hackensack 12 years ago I was told that if a podiatrist wants to fix a bunion at 3am I’m expected to do it with a smile. I’m sure all those clowns are long gone but that type of culture has a bad habit of persisting through the years.

Seems like the place would be bleeding $$ for locums. Haven’t heard about alot of locums there though. What gives. It’s a huge hospital, how do they staff?

Seems like the place would be bleeding $$ for locums. Haven’t heard about alot of locums there though. What gives. It’s a huge hospital, how do they staff?
They continue to squeeze every dollar out of anesthesiologists and force them to work long hours. Even academic positions within driving distance offer better work/pay ratio, so if they can't jump ship, it is probably not from lack of trying.

The locum pay rate there is a joke. Average <$200/hr. Nobody wants to take it. It's cheaper to squeeze out all the current physicians there than to hire locums. Therefore, these long hours are happening and more people are dropping out. And yes, you are expected to put on a nice smile when a surgeon decides to keep doing their scheduled elective cases after midnight. That sleazy chairman that some of you mentioned didn't spend millions of dollars to put his name on the hospital building for no reason.

• Wow
Are there better options nearby? Where do the new hires go when they leave?
Yes. There are plenty hospitals/groups hiring nearby with much more reasonable hours and higher pay. Some of the people I knew from the past who worked there went to hospitals in NYC.

So why is ANYBODY who has a choice working there? I know North Jersey is very overserved but WTF?

So why is ANYBODY who has a choice working there? I know North Jersey is very overserved but WTF?
Non-compete. New hires don't stay. Most of the new hires are new grads who didn't know better, or didn't believe it would be THAT bad.