Hackensack vs RWJ vs USF CORE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparklywoman

Reaction score
Hey everyone! 🙋‍♂️

I'm in a bit of a pickle trying to decide between three medical schools I've been lucky enough to get into: Hackensack, Rutgers RWJ, and University of South Florida. Each has its pros and cons, and I'd love to get your insights or experiences to help make this tough decision a bit easier.

Hackensack:
Pros: They've offered me a scholarship of $45k/year which makes it financially viable, it's close to home, has pass/fail preclinicals, an innovative 3-year core curriculum (with an optional 4th year), and a strong network especially if I choose their residency program (eyeing general surgery). Ideally would like to stay in-state in NJ.
Cons: It’s a newer school which makes it less established, and they have in-house exams. Mandatory lectures. I'd have to pay to live closer to school. However, they have been moving up at a pretty unprecedented rate.
Cost: Around $50k/year all included.

Rutgers RWJ:
Pros: I can live at home which saves some money, it's more established, and tuition is about $46k (in-state). Lectures are not mandatory and I would only have to go in a few times a week.
Cons: The facilities are a bit older, and despite the lower tuition, overall costs end up similar to Hackensack without the flexibility of a 3-year path.

USF CORE MD:
Pros: It's the highest-ranked of the three, located in beautiful Tampa, and I might qualify for in-state tuition after my first year (~$32k/year), making it quite affordable. Also has pass/fail preclinicals (although there are still internal rankings which isn't a deal breaker).
Cons: Moving to Florida means leaving family behind, and I'm still waiting to hear back about any potential financial aid or scholarships. Mandatory lectures.

I'm torn because each option has significant advantages. Hackensack feels financially sensible and innovative, RWJ would keep me close to family, and USF seems like a great academic choice but comes with the challenge of moving away.

Some people say that for USF, if I take my first year at out-of-state tuition, then I wouldn't be able to get in-state tuition for subsequent years even if I established residence. This would be a huge deal-breaker. Does anyone know anything about this?

Members don't see this ad.

The MSAR information for USF states that OOS matriculants are not eligible for in-state tuition.
You should estimate your costs as OOS all 4 years, and use your other pros/cons to compare your 3 schools.
Nice to have some choices though- :thumbup:

Tbh I don’t think USF has much of an edge on RWJ, I was super impressed by RWJ and how well their students match and how happy they seem. I was also accepted to all three schools and while I will be attending elsewhere, RWJ wouldve been my pick here. In state tuition, P/F, close to support system. Depends where you wanna match but if you wanna go in the northeast rwj will be great. Keep in mind USF has graded preclinical which will make your experience much more stressful and will limit your time to enjoy tampa