Haile Gebrselassie: for the runners out there...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiveMD

Giggity giggity!!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On September 30, 2007 Gebreselassie won the Berlin Marathon in 2:04:26[14] (4:44.8 per mile), setting the world record and shaving 29 seconds off Paul Tergat's record, set on the same course in 2003. His victory further energized the celebrations of the Ethiopian Millennium (unique to the Ethiopian calendar), which began on September 12, 2007.:eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haile_Gebrselassie

Members don't see this ad.

I've always had a conceptual problem with the idea of "new records" for marathons. Now, don't get me wrong -- I think it's pretty damn impressive to run 4:44 miles for 26 straight miles. And I will grant that over the years, times are getting faster. But my problem is that other than distance, marathon courses aren't standardized, right? Some can be flat, some can be hilly, some can be twisty and turny vs straighter, etc. It's not like every 400 meter race, all of which are run on the same basic standard 400 meter flat oval. So is it really fair to compare someone's Boston Marathon record time with the Berlin Marathon or the NY marathon or the Seattle Marathon, etc? It's always struck me as kind of apples and oranges. :confused:

Yeah, I have kind of wondered that myself, but like you said, 4:44 for 26.2 is pretty amazing.

My fastest:

3:29:04--Myrtle Beach, S.C.-2002.Totally flat, about 70 degrees all morning.

I actually met the guy in person, in 1993, just when he became a big deal. I worked as a driver for Mercedes Benz and was sent out to pick him up for a reception after he won the 10.000m at the world championship. Very nice guy, very humble.

Great to see that you can stay on the top in track and field for 14 years.