Hand held ultrasound?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarabinerSD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a handheld ultrasound system they recommend? My main use case for ultrasound is essentially piriformis, knee/shoulder, and carpal tunnel injection (in that order of frequency). Ideally I’d need a linear and curved probe to cover superficial and deep structures…even better if unit has both.

I’ve looked online at Clarius, Butterfly IQ, Eagle View, Vue scan but no real world usage. I hate subscriptions which a lot of the companies use to lock in useful features like needle visualization. Wondering if anyone has feedback on their own device. Not interested in buying a full size ultrasound machine (bulky, expensive).

Members don't see this ad.

I have a Vscan Air. I chose it over Butterfly because of no subscription-only features, and true wireless. My main complaints were lack of labeling and measurements, which they fixed with a recent update. They also added M mode which is nice if you are checking for a pneumothorax. The quality will not hold a candle to a bigger unit but it is adequate to injection guidance. That said, it’s amazing that 2 ultrasound probes fit in a unit the size of your hand. If you are scanning all day the battery life may not be adequate. The GE app also has built in image storage and can upload to a PACS system fairly easily. Also no additional charge for those features.

I got a pelican case which holds the ultrasound, gel, prove covers, iPad, and chargers.

Here’s a cardiac ultrasound image of myself (obtained using the cardiac mode with the curvilinear probe):
1696600430953.png

Reactions: 1 user
I have a Vscan Air. I chose it over Butterfly because of no subscription-only features, and true wireless. My main complaints were lack of labeling and measurements, which they fixed with a recent update. They also added M mode which is nice if you are checking for a pneumothorax. The quality will not hold a candle to a bigger unit but it is adequate to injection guidance. That said, it’s amazing that 2 ultrasound probes fit in a unit the size of your hand. If you are scanning all day the battery life may not be adequate. The GE app also has built in image storage and can upload to a PACS system fairly easily. Also no additional charge for those features.

I got a pelican case which holds the ultrasound, gel, prove covers, iPad, and chargers.

Here’s a cardiac ultrasound image of myself (obtained using the cardiac mode with the curvilinear probe):
View attachment 377433
Luetic aneurysm.

Members don't see this ad :)

View attachment 377433
Very nice. How does it do with MSK injections (needle visualization, enough penetration to see piriformis)? Do you use it with an iPhone/iPad?

I’m a PM&R resident applying pain, I’m also interested in a wireless ultrasound probe. Just for practice, get the basic exams down, won’t be using it in the hospital.

Eagleview is by far the cheapest (1800 for a linear probe), anyone actually ever use or own one?

Very nice. How does it do with MSK injections (needle visualization, enough penetration to see piriformis)? Do you use it with an iPhone/iPad?
Needle visualization is not great. Either that or I’m just out of practice with U/S. I do most of my injections under fluoro, so I couldn’t tell you on a piriformis.

Clarius has a very nice hand-held. I've had it one year. Love it.