Handoff Etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beetles

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about handoff etiquette.

Let's say you page the intern on-call to sign off. They call back and give you their location. You go right away but when you arrive, they're not there and instead are in a patient room doing an H&P. The patient is stable in the ED. Do you wait until they are done or do you somehow signal them out of the room?

Obviously, this happened to me. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Moving this to general residency thread!

Let's say you page the intern on-call to sign off. They call back and give you their location. You go right away but when you arrive, they're not there and instead are in a patient room doing an H&P. The patient is stable in the ED. Do you wait until they are done or do you somehow signal them out of the room?

In the absence of an unstable patient, their priority should be to get you out of the hospital on time.

Reactions: 1 users

it's OK to pop your head in there and say, "excuse me for interuppting Dr. ____, ready for sign out whenever you are. I'll be _____ location.

This can allow them to finish up and meet you sooner as they should, or **** you off cuz that's what they're gonna do. Most people end up in the place where they know what this feels like so they don't do it to others.

anyway, yes, it's OK to gently interrupt your colleagues about some things

Reactions: 1 user