Happiest Moment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Being accepted to my top med school after my pre-med advisor gave up on me and handed me a brochure for a career at a med technology company.
I'll never forget the look on her face when I told her I got in. Revenge is bliss.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
If you don't mind sharing, I am very curious to know why not?

The school of my dreams (LLU) is a private, Christian medical school, while the top 20 I got accepted to was a public, state school. For me, the Christian environment and mission of the school won out over a public Top 20 school. I would rather go to a school that better fits my lifestyle and that teaches medicine from a Christian perspective. LLU is very medical mission focused and integrates religion classes into their curriculum, and they do a good job training Christian physicians who are geared for a life of medical service. I also wanted to be in a medical school class where most of my classmates and professors are Christian and abide by a similar lifestyle to me (LLU does not allow drinking, smoking, or drugs, which is a huge plus for me as I hate all 3 of these activities).

My life goal is to become a medical missionary, and I felt LLU will do a much better job preparing me for that. A Top 20 school has prestige and money, but that was a minor factor for me compared to the environment and the training of LLU. This is not to say that the Top 20 did not do a great job trying to recruit me to come to their school (hence the scholarship), and I WAS really impressed by their program and the money they have to offer to students. The students at the Top 20 were very relaxed and it was clear they enjoyed medical school and the school's program clearly showed they cared for their students and their program is very well supported. The students at the Top 20, however, were also big party people and they were telling me all their Vegas and drinking stories after exams, which are things I do not want to participate in in medical school. It ultimately came down to which factors are most important for me, and I decided that the advantages of LLU outweighed the advantages of Top 20.

Reactions: 2 users
Sitting on the edge of the swimming pool in our back yard, beer in hand and laughing with friends, while my young children played in the shallow end and Hubby grilled steaks. The moment itself was perfect, but the best part was the simple realization that now that I was in the right relationship (having dumped toxic #1), moments like this one would be a regular part of life, and all I really had to do was become more aware of them and truly appreciate them when they happened. The start of a wonderful chapter...

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sonic's Happy Hour 1/2 price drinks. I relive the greatest moment everyday of my life.

Reactions: 1 users
Discovering that Chipotle does not use any milk eggs, peanuts, or shellfish (I'm deathly allergic to all).

New life motto: A Chipotle bowl a day keeps the doctor away.

Reactions: 4 users
When she told me she just wanted to be friends.
Cause she was a real *bleep* and I dodged a bullet.

Reactions: 1 user
Meeting people in college who got me and were as weird as I was. ;)
Getting my first 4.0 semester.
The phone call that I got my dream job after all after I was initially rejected.
Walking in the door and getting mobbed by small children at my volunteer gig every week.

Freshman year of college, sitting over the quad one night, thinking about how lucky I was to go to my dream school.
Finding flowers and a card signed by my little brother's friends and given to him for his birthday.
Singing my lungs out with a thousand other fans at one of my favorite band's concerts (so vague, but it might identify me haha).
Biking around Yosemite without a care in the world.

Discovering that Chipotle does not use any milk eggs, peanuts, or shellfish (I'm deathly allergic to all).

New life motto: A Chipotle bowl a day keeps the doctor away.
My GF is allergic to peanuts, dairy and soy and she was so happy to find a cupcake she could eat she almost cried. ^_^

The school of my dreams (LLU) is a private, Christian medical school, while the top 20 I got accepted to was a public, state school. For me, the Christian environment and mission of the school won out over a public Top 20 school. I would rather go to a school that better fits my lifestyle and that teaches medicine from a Christian perspective. LLU is very medical mission focused and integrates religion classes into their curriculum, and they do a good job training Christian physicians who are geared for a life of medical service. I also wanted to be in a medical school class where most of my classmates and professors are Christian and abide by a similar lifestyle to me (LLU does not allow drinking, smoking, or drugs, which is a huge plus for me as I hate all 3 of these activities).

My life goal is to become a medical missionary, and I felt LLU will do a much better job preparing me for that. A Top 20 school has prestige and money, but that was a minor factor for me compared to the environment and the training of LLU. This is not to say that the Top 20 did not do a great job trying to recruit me to come to their school (hence the scholarship), and I WAS really impressed by their program and the money they have to offer to students. The students at the Top 20 were very relaxed and it was clear they enjoyed medical school and the school's program clearly showed they cared for their students and their program is very well supported. The students at the Top 20, however, were also big party people and they were telling me all their Vegas and drinking stories after exams, which are things I do not want to participate in in medical school. It ultimately came down to which factors are most important for me, and I decided that the advantages of LLU outweighed the advantages of Top 20.
What's the idea behind the "medical missionary"?

I was young and my family decided to visit some relatives on the west coast. One night, we ate as a group. I wasn't really talkative and spent a lot of time pondering and thinking about life and the future y'know, completely out of the zone. I guess I was a bit sad. Until one of the adults, who was entertaining everyone at the table with stories, decided to make a joke for me. So he made a joke about one of his sons. It was a silly joke, but at least he tried. So I smiled. And the adult laughed and said, "See! I made you laugh!" Now that made me really smile. I remember his sons retaliating with a joke about him. I remember his wife smiling and glancing at times to check my reactions. I felt happy. When I'm sad, I always think back to that moment, because I know that there are people out there in the world who just want everyone to be happy and enjoy the moment. Whenever I notice someone who is lonely etc, I bring myself to talk with them and make them smile, just like him.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the idea behind the "medical missionary"?

Great question and I am glad you asked!

A medical missionary, in my definition, is someone who uses medicine to treat under-served people's physical and spiritual needs. Specifically, I want to use my medical training to give medical care to people in poor areas (i.e. 3rd world nations) who can't afford or don't have ready access to doctors. I also want to be able to train doctors in these areas so that they can better serve their own people. I hope to use this work as a gateway for sharing the gospel with people and telling about the One who can heal both their physical and spiritual needs. I want my career to proclaim God's glory by using medicine to help alleviate people's physical needs and also reconciling people into a relationship with Christ in a broken world desperate for physical and spiritual healing.

For more info on my favorite medical missionaries, check out the biographies of David Livingstone, Wilfred Grenfell, Paul Brand, Klaus-Dieter John, and Ida Scudder. These are all people who did great things toward serving the people they worked with and proclaiming the glory of God. I would also check out Katie Davis, a missionary to Uganda, and Dr. David Platt, author of Radical, one of my favorite books. Both of these people talk about things that shape much of my missions vision and inspire me forward.

So far, it has been getting a full ride scholarship to school. It allowed me to go away to college instead of commuting to a satellite campus and living at home. Medical school acceptance will replace that I am sure.

Great question and I am glad you asked!

A medical missionary, in my definition, is someone who uses medicine to treat under-served people's physical and spiritual needs. Specifically, I want to use my medical training to give medical care to people in poor areas (i.e. 3rd world nations) who can't afford or don't have ready access to doctors. I also want to be able to train doctors in these areas so that they can better serve their own people. I hope to use this work as a gateway for sharing the gospel with people and telling about the One who can heal both their physical and spiritual needs. I want my career to proclaim God's glory by using medicine to help alleviate people's physical needs and also reconciling people into a relationship with Christ in a broken world desperate for physical and spiritual healing.

For more info on my favorite medical missionaries, check out the biographies of David Livingstone, Wilfred Grenfell, Paul Brand, Klaus-Dieter John, and Ida Scudder. These are all people who did great things toward serving the people they worked with and proclaiming the glory of God. I would also check out Katie Davis, a missionary to Uganda, and Dr. David Platt, author of Radical, one of my favorite books. Both of these people talk about things that shape much of my missions vision and inspire me forward.
Can't say I agree with the spreading the gospel part, but I'm glad you're interested in giving so much to help those in such dire need.

1) Finding out the mass in my mom's lung was benign, meaning stage III cancer had not in fact become stage IV. During that whole surgery, you could have cut the tension in that waiting room with a knife. I've never felt such an intense feeling of relief.
2) Getting the phone call about a full-ride scholarship for undergrad. Like @raiderette, it made the difference between going away for college and not.
3) When we were studying abroad (thanks to the scholarship), my friend and I declared a "day of indulgence" in Paris. We visited as many chocolate shops as we could find, spent the afternoon in a little wine bar, and saw the Eiffel Tower lit up at night. I'm pretty sure I ate crepes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner that day, and it was so worth it :)

I feel like Harry Potter, trying to think of my happiest memory haha. Not sure if this is my happiest, but it definitely comes to mind...

I ran varsity track and field throughout high school, specifically the 400 meter and the 4x400 meter relay (4 people on a team, each runs 400m). Running 400 meters was a race I found I was pretty good at, so I just stuck with it and eventually became our track team's 400 guy. My senior year our 4x400 relay team wasn't very good, mainly because we had a young team including my little brother who was a freshman. We had been beaten numerous times throughout the year, and knew the odds of us going anywhere in "track and field postseason" were small. In order for us to advance beyond the first meet we had to place 4th or higher. 5th or worse and we were done for the year.

Race day came and we decided who would run which leg of the race. My little brother was going to run the 3rd, and he'd hand the baton off to me for the 4th and final leg. The race started and our first two legs fell behind as expected to like 8th or 9th place. My brother however had the RACE OF HIS LIFE, making up a ton of ground and passing kids left and right. He eventually got the baton to me in 5th place, with the kid in 4th place about 50-60 meters ahead of me (which is actually a lot). My leg of the race is pretty much a blur, but I remember passing the kid with about 100m left in the race and hearing him cry out in pain. I ended up finishing 4th, and advancing us to sectionals. Shortly after finishing my brother tackled me to the ground, saying "OH MY GOD WE DID IT DUDE!! YOU'RE A BEAST!!" He and I both ran our fastest times that day, got our team to the next round, and did it all together. I might forget a lot of things about high school, but I know I'll never forget that race. Such an awesome experience to share with your brother.

TL;DR: My little brother and I both helped pull our high school team to victory and keep our season alive when we thought we had no shot.

The last effing day of intern year. Looking forward to the last call as well. Then again, I will have many more last calls in a non medical setting to look forward to ;)

1. Getting a 4.0 my first semester of college. I dealt with a lot of crappy stuff when I was in high school, and felt fairly dumb and lost in a ridiculously smart class despite being at a public school. Doing so well in my first year of college made me realize that I am neither lost or dumb and that my high school past doesn't matter in the large scheme of things.
2. Making friends in college who were just as passionate about academics as me and who have similar ambitions and goals in life, who are also genuinely kind and humble people.
3. The one time a nurse at the nursing home I work at who is in the process of earning his BSN told me that I had what it takes to become a doctor and that I should just keep on working hard. Having someone who is still kind of a stranger tell me this meant a whole lot.
4. Getting to watch an ER attending shock a young women's heart back into rhythm the very first time I shadowed (she was the first patient I ever saw while shadowing too).
5. Getting my job as a tutor at my university as a freshman and getting to work with some of the coolest people on my campus.
6. Reading this list as well as others' lists makes me realize I have a whole lot of life left to live, which completely and totally excites me! :nod:

Getting a 4.0 my first semester of college.
That's awesome! What kind of mind set or study skills did you change to during your first year?
Making friends in college who were just as passionate about academics as me and who have similar ambitions and goals in life, who are also genuinely kind and humble people.
Being around these people always gives me passion.

That's awesome! What kind of mind set or study skills did you change to during your first year?

Being around these people always gives me passion.

I think the biggest mindset change for me was that I really made an effort to stop comparing myself to others. This made a monumental difference in terms of my self esteem. As for study skills, the number one thing that I realized really helped me was learning by doing, whether it was by doing practice problems or practice exams. Actively learning the material beats passively learning it every day.

As for the passion, I completely agree. Having friends like that has been an amazing motivator in its own right.

Accomplishing one of my long term goals in a competitive EC in high school after being shut out of achieving that goal before.

Gonna bump this now that we're in the part of the cycle where we're doing plenty of waiting on the applicant end.

Learning that an old flame of mine had her thyroid removed before the cancer metastasized. Being able to sit down for lunch with her again after the surgery was surreal but a reason to be happy at the same time.

Kaepernick throws to Michael Crabtree, tipped by Richard Sherman, intercepted by Malcom Smith... "GAME OVER BABY! Seahawks are going to the Superbowl" (and the subsequent win)

Getting a 510 on the MCAT today was pretty sweet, it's gotta be said. I whooped a little bit lol!

Figure that some positivity would help inspire people here, and help us to see the forest past the trees.

What's been the happiest or most fulfilling moment in your life so far? Doesn't necessarily have to pertain to medicine.

My first orgasm

Kaepernick throws to Michael Crabtree, tipped by Richard Sherman, intercepted by Malcom Smith... "GAME OVER BABY! Seahawks are going to the Superbowl" (and the subsequent win)
"Play clock at 5....pass is...INTERCEPTED at the goal line! Malcolm Butler! Unreal!" (and the subsequent win) :D

My first orgasm
If jacking off is the happiest you've ever been...

For me it was working at an REU this summer and finding out one of my fellow interns went to high school with me and catching up with him

And scoring an MCAT of 30 points while averaging 23-24 on the AAMC practice tests

Two years ago, my mom randomly called me and asked me if I wanted to go to Harry Potter World over Fall Break. That trip meant a lot to me, because I love Harry Potter but my mom has never been into it, so just knowing that my mom was willing to fly across the country to take me somewhere that she knew meant a lot to me made me really happy. And I've never really spent a lot of time with my mom (or at least up until that point I hadn't) so getting to go on a four day trip where it was just the two of us really made me happy.

I'm not sure if this is my happiest happiest moment, but it's certainly up there. I remember the look on my girlfriend's face when I told her we could go pick out a cat to adopt during college. She grew up with very strict Asian parents who, and I'm quoting verbatim here, had a rule that "the only animal allowed in this house is one that is dead and ready to be eaten" and never let her have a pet. Three years later that little turd of a cat is my avatar now.

Undergrad- I don't know if it's the happiest MOMENT of my life, but there was so much happy in the day it stands out.

Finding out my grandfather was responding well to chemo, finding out I'd be an RA the next year and the relief that money for housing at uni brought, my proposal for the undergraduate research academy was selected as one of the projects (fell through later but was a great day none-the-less), , I got a 98% on a really, really tough test.

The next year was very bittersweet...getting into grad school the day my grandfather passed away. I was really happy, but I didn't get to tell him. Developed old rolls of film that day, and saw for the first time pictures of our white water rafting trip, the simultaneous happiness and sorrow stands out, but not in a bad way.

Being in a road trip with family and watching an amazing cloud play before my eyes with the sun setting up a mahogany hue to compliment it. Gotta say, I miss laying out at my childhood home's balcony and just staring up at the sky from evening to night. You can't get stars like that here with all the light pollution but going into this country place brought up an even better image than memory can recall.