Happy NYE, welcome 2022!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WisNeuro

Board Certified in Clinical Neuropsychology
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, it's been...a year. Let's ring in 2022. Just an open thread to commiserate, celebrate. Best parts of 2021? Worst? What are you looking forward to in 2022? Resolutions. Personal, professional, either, neither.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I'll go.

Best:
-Professionally speaking, passing the EPPP and getting licensed. Such a huge relief. It felt like the last of the major hurdles for the past six years. I finished my clinical postdoc and am now doing a research oriented one, which is going really well. It's nice to be back in a real city. I'm looking into a side practice now that I'm licensed and am trying to work out all of the details.
-Not to be overly political, but I haven't missed Former President Tiny Hands's domination of the newscycle this year even if the replacement has been less than ideal. Haven't taken that for granted yet.

Worst:
-I've been more cautious than most I know about the pandemic as my kiddo was ineligible for a vaccine until very recently. I've had a victory lap trip for finishing grad school that I've put on hold for two years now due to the pandemic. It involves international travel, which is something my partner and I both love to do. Hopefully I get to take it next year.

Reactions: 2 users
As far as looking forward to 2022, looking forward to building out PP stuff. Did well last year despite taking ~5 months off. With diversified revenue streams, should surpass last years revenue in the first quarter this year. Scaling back some of my state association involvement to put back into PP.

Personally, looking forward to getting back into the gyms (regular/climbing) and multiple sports leagues after the omicron wave. Been feeling more out of shape without these outlets.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking forward to things getting back to normal, or alternately suffering through a series of even more outlandish events. Some 10 year plans fell through, some new ones are developing. I hope to continue to fail upwards, in a Forest Gumpian trajectory

Reactions: 1 users
I'm looking forward to things getting back to normal, or alternately suffering through a series of even more outlandish events. Some 10 year plans fell through, some new ones are developing. I hope to continue to fail upwards, in a Forest Gumpian trajectory

Why didn't you go into VA work then? It's the ideal place for such things!

Happy new year! My 100th peer-reviewed journal article was accepted yesterday (I spent the day away from my phone/email), so that was a decent close to the year. (The article was a legal/ethical argument about institutional suicidality responses being potentially in violation of disability civil rights law that I've wanted to publish for years, too, so it's nice to know it will be out there soon-ish).

Reactions: 10 users
Worst - starting at a really bad PP and leaving after 6 weeks. At least I realized it wasn’t for me and got out quick. Really did help me realize my passion for a certain population and losing our dog to lymphoma.

Best - the little 5 week old nugget that is currently sleeping on my chest as I feel her little slightly sour creamed, because she only eats one thing - milk, scented cooling baby breaths hitting my face. I also learned that the grass ain’t always greener. Wifey getting a better job is up there. Like happy wife happy life is true. My little punk also did a great job doing some hiking today - proud of my boy.

Looking forward - more time off! I got a whole extra week of pto. Wife has more time off too. JAMES WEBB IN SIX MONTHS!!!

Personal resolution - I wanna get back down to 210. I got up to 235 (stupid meniscus tearing). I’m at 225 as of yesterday. I’m gonna use noom mostly bc exercise alone doesn’t help me thin out (this boy loves to eat and drink).

Professional resolution - not sweat stuff so much at work. I’m stoked for a couple of trainings (RUBI and SPACE). I can’t believe I’ve got my second licensure renewal coming up - don’t they know I am a fraud and imposter.

Last edited:
Looking forward to my degree being conferred and officially being “Dr.” Although my family and friends have been calling me that since I defended last spring. Looking forward to some stability and leaving behind the transient nature of being a trainee and switching “jobs” every year and moving around so much.

Short term hope is having at least 1 of 4 job offers I’m waiting on come through this week. That would lift a huge weight off, and I wouldn’t need to submit the rest of postdoc applications.

Reactions: 3 users
Personal resolution - I wanna get back down to 210. I got up to 235 (stupid meniscus tearing). I’m at 225 as of yesterday. I’m gonna use noom mostly bc exercise alone doesn’t help me thin out (this boy loves to eat and drink).
Hah- Eating and drinking definitely are the key factors. I find that exercise doesn't add much to weight loss byond those changes in diet. I started Noom last June at 268, and an now at 238 (got as low as 232 before the holidays, but took some time off from weighing myself and my food). Back at it as of today, with a goal of 220 (and a reinforcer of new skates when I hit that mark)! Good luck and be healthy.

Hah- Eating and drinking definitely are the key factors. I find that exercise doesn't add much to weight loss byond those changes in diet. I started Noom last June at 268, and an now at 238 (got as low as 232 before the holidays, but took some time off from weighing myself and my food). Back at it as of today, with a goal of 220 (and a reinforcer of new skates when I hit that mark)! Good luck and be healthy.

Nice, good progress. Yeah, diet is very much the key, even when I was working out an insane amount of time, the exercise only helped with strength and conditioning, with minimal changes to weight for the most part. Diet has always been the key. My main desire to lose weight is to get back into climbing shape. I used to do some climbing competitions and I want to get back into that so it's something to do with the kid(s) as they get older.

Best part of 2021 professionally was getting back to live assessments. While Zoom worked suprisingly well for a lot of what I did, I really missed the direct interaction with the kiddos. Worst part professionally was tying to address a year's worth of backlogged cases in few months, as well as trying to address my growing wiatlist (booking almost a year out!) by doing more assessments. Ultimately, the issue is a lack of qualifed providers in my area with a huge demand, and me working more a) won't solve the problem; b) doesn't necessarily mean I get paid more; and c) was really burning me out. I took a big step last week and had all my appointments pushed out one week, clearing up this week to get to nothing but catch up on reports and the other related nonsense so i don't start the year in a hole. It shoudn't be that big a deal to move a few appointments, but i felt guilty delaying things further for these families who have already waited the better part of a year. The modal response from the families was actually along the line of "no problem, I'll see you soon."

Personally, getting in better shape and going away with my whole family was a highlight. Worst thing has been that I've noticed less of a motivation and ability to hang out socially than I had before COVID. While i'm content to stay home and do my own thing or just hang out with my wife and kids, I miss more of the non-relative adult interactions and find it more challenging to initiate them.

Reactions: 3 users
Well, it's been...a year. Let's ring in 2022. Just an open thread to commiserate, celebrate. Best parts of 2021? Worst? What are you looking forward to in 2022? Resolutions. Personal, professional, either, neither.
Best of 2021: I had several first-author publications get accepted, I enjoyed teaching as professor of record for a course, and I got a very good amount of internship interviews (including at all of my top sites).

Worst of 2021: A good family friend died of COVID-19 and my partner has had a really bad flare up of her autoimmune disorder. :(

Professional resolution: Finish my d*mn dissertation before internship begins, match to internship, survive internship

Personal resolution: I have put on quite a bit of weight from stress-eating and being more sedentary than usual due to my part of the country still having a lot of virtual work due-to COVID-19. My goal for this year is to lose ~2-3 lbs per month and, more specifically, to be "active" in some way at least 4 days each week. This can mean taking our dog for a nice walk to our local dog park, riding my exercise bike, or doing yoga. I just want to be more generally healthy for the years ahead as my partner and I move into our profession and get ready to start having a family.

• Care
Best of 2021: I had several first-author publications get accepted, I enjoyed teaching as professor of record for a course, and I got a very good amount of internship interviews (including at all of my top sites).

Worst of 2021: A good family friend died of COVID-19 and my partner has had a really bad flare up of her autoimmune disorder. :(

Professional resolution: Finish my d*mn dissertation before internship begins, match to internship, survive internship

Personal resolution: I have put on quite a bit of weight from stress-eating and being more sedentary than usual due to my part of the country still having a lot of virtual work due-to COVID-19. My goal for this year is to lose ~2-3 lbs per month and, more specifically, to be "active" in some way at least 4 days each week. This can mean taking our dog for a nice walk to our local dog park, riding my exercise bike, or doing yoga. I just want to be more generally healthy for the years ahead as my partner and I move into our profession and get ready to start having a family.

Sorry to hear about your loss and difficulties in 2021, here's hoping for a much improved 2022.

Should we get a weekly wellness/accountability/weight loss thread going?

I found Caroline Girvan to be a wonderful online trainer - all videos / programs are free on YouTube. She has several 10 week programs (weights + HIIT). Just sharing a wonderful resource I found during the pandemic that has helped me maintain and not gain.

• Love
I found Caroline Girvan to be a wonderful online trainer - all videos / programs are free on YouTube. She has several 10 week programs (weights + HIIT). Just sharing a wonderful resource I found during the pandemic that has helped me maintain and not gain.
I LOVE Caroline Girvan's videos!!!!! They're surprisingly intense workouts for YouTube.

• Love