happy to be here -- distance with onc fellow/ J1 hardship waiver in process

diwali

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
wow.

sometimes life is simple, and you say to yourself, "but is there anything more"??

i asked that 1-1/2 year ago, and presto, met my SO, who was doing her hospice fellowship locally.

relationship went well, now she's in texas, doing 2 year onc fellowship (didn't want to do heme an extra year) --

-- and now we're looking at jobs, but she's on a J-1 Visa -- from India.

So, we're going through the J-1 "hardship waiver" process, which is exhausting. i recently sent a 25 page typed bio to the attorney -- how mentally exhausting!

the conrad-30 "underserved" waivers are less than appealing -- many clinics are in the absolute middle of nowhere in the deep South (where I have learned from experience that mixed-race relations are not favored!) and other institutes want her to work as an IM hospitalist -- in an onc setting, but not as an onc -- :|

for me, i am an attorney with an MBA in a specialized field of law, so mentally, academically, etc., we're equals -- for once! she's 35, i'm 42, no prior marriages, no kids, etc.

plus, i'm in upstate NY, she's in TX -- nothing too easy, but we sure do burn up our phones!

that's us -- and my short intro -- the whole proces will be worth it at some point, but quite honestly, it's a world i never knew existed!

oh, all that, plus last night, she was discussing 1-year phase-1 or GI-Onc fellowships at cleveland clinic or MSK -- what a trip!

this seems to be a nice group, and it's nice to have somewhere to discuss this long, strange journey that we're on! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
wow.

sometimes life is simple, and you say to yourself, "but is there anything more"??

i asked that 1-1/2 year ago, and presto, met my SO, who was doing her hospice fellowship locally.

relationship went well, now she's in texas, doing 2 year onc fellowship (didn't want to do heme an extra year) --

-- and now we're looking at jobs, but she's on a J-1 Visa -- from India.

So, we're going through the J-1 "hardship waiver" process, which is exhausting. i recently sent a 25 page typed bio to the attorney -- how mentally exhausting!

the conrad-30 "underserved" waivers are less than appealing -- many clinics are in the absolute middle of nowhere in the deep South (where I have learned from experience that mixed-race relations are not favored!) and other institutes want her to work as an IM hospitalist -- in an onc setting, but not as an onc -- :|

for me, i am an attorney with an MBA in a specialized field of law, so mentally, academically, etc., we're equals -- for once! she's 35, i'm 42, no prior marriages, no kids, etc.

plus, i'm in upstate NY, she's in TX -- nothing too easy, but we sure do burn up our phones!

that's us -- and my short intro -- the whole proces will be worth it at some point, but quite honestly, it's a world i never knew existed!

oh, all that, plus last night, she was discussing 1-year phase-1 or GI-Onc fellowships at cleveland clinic or MSK -- what a trip!

this seems to be a nice group, and it's nice to have somewhere to discuss this long, strange journey that we're on! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Have you thought of talking to a lawyer? Most people from Indian (from your other post) are very tight knit community and India is biggest exporter of doctors to USA so I am sure she could find out waiver experience. It has been done. I heard it and don't have any exact details.

Ask her to ask some coworker or international office names of immigration attorneys and their work ethics and history. Believe me international office knows these immigration lawyers. Ask your concern and success rates. I am sure you can even find out over all how many hardship waiver applications are either accepted or rejected by USCIS. You are a lawyer and you are asking here for law related advice/suggestions.