Hard time deciding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OatsHelp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am having a hard time deciding between PCO, NOVA and NECO any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

although i loved nova's location, and the beautiful Florida weather, i had to decline nova. one of my main reasons for declining is because in NOVA you will be taking classes with dental and i believe pharmacy students, so it seems like there's a lot of competition. Also, because there are other health professional schools, NOVA isn't truly focused on optometry alone whereas NECO and PCO (for the most part) would be.
I liked PCO because it's the only campus that offers both a suburban campus with a urban clinic, plus i heard their clinics get a lot of patients.
I hope this helps!

Hi,
I am having a hard time deciding between PCO, NOVA and NECO any advice would be appreciated.

Hi OatsHelp,

I have only applied and interviewed at NECO from the above mentioned schools. I loved the Back Bay area and the school. NECO's clinical program really impressed me. However, due to the higher tuition costs/cost of living and the distance from my hometown, I decided to go to PUCO. But if that's not an issue for you, I'd definitely go to NECO. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I am also leaning towards NECO but I don't know I feel like alot of people are choosing PCO over NECO and I am just worried if there is anything I am missing out on?

Thanks! I am also leaning towards NECO but I don't know I feel like alot of people are choosing PCO over NECO and I am just worried if there is anything I am missing out on?

NECO has pretty bad pass rates for the Boards part 1. That may be what you're missing?

Yes, I remembered reading that somewhere but when I asked a few people no one was able to confirm for me and I didn't remember where I read that. Can you give me more information about that? Or where I can find information about NOVA PCO and NECO board pass rates and also, is that a very significant factor that I should take into account when I am deciding schools?

Yes, I remembered reading that somewhere but when I asked a few people no one was able to confirm for me and I didn't remember where I read that. Can you give me more information about that? Or where I can find information about NOVA PCO and NECO board pass rates and also, is that a very significant factor that I should take into account when I am deciding schools?

Yes, this information is kind of hard to find. I had to call each school and ask (and ask specifically for Part 1 because that's the hardest portion). Sorry, I don't remember exact numbers.

Yes, this information is kind of hard to find. I had to call each school and ask (and ask specifically for Part 1 because that's the hardest portion). Sorry, I don't remember exact numbers.

Also - make sure you ask for the FIRST time passing rate. Otherwise they can tell you the overall pass rate, but that includes people who take the exam more than once. Usually the first time pass rates are a little lower than the overall pass rates.

I went to all 3 so here's my thoughts

NECO is so expensive! During interview they seem to be selling Boston and not the program. Liked the many clinic sites but I feel that some will be very small private clinics and you'll not see as much. Need upgrade on equipments. The cheating scandal puts a dent :/ but not a deal breaker IMO

PCO- the new module style teaching, new clinic. I liked PCO but wasn't very friendly to me... the class are separated into 3 or 4 groups and you are only close to your class. (because harder to meet up w. other classmates)

NOVA- multidisciplinary. There's good and bad. You will meet and build relationships among health professional but you will be learning more than you need to know as an optometrist and could affect your grades. It's a great school to meet and learn with other health professionals. The staff is super nice too and great clinic.

All the schools have strengths and weaknesses so there isn't a better choice. Choose the one that you think will make you happy and fit what you need. Like you want to work in a certain state, make sure to find out if there's externship sites or they can help you network. Good luck :)