Hard time with gen chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sweet_Tooth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently in my second semester of college. Last semester I took Gen Chem I and got a B+ (with A's in all my other classes -_-). This semester I'm taking Gen Chem II and it looks like I'm going to get a grade somewhere in the B range as well. I just have a really hard time with chemistry in general, it seems. I know, B's might not seem that bad but I need to get as many A's as possible in order to cushion my GPA to prepare for harder, upper level classes I'm going to take later on. And also if I continuously get B's my science GPA will be around a 3.3 or 3.4 and I need to be a bit higher than that, at the very least a 3.5.

My question is, how important is chemistry in dental school? If I struggle with the subject should I consider another career choice? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Gen Chem is a weeding out course. In dental school you'll take Biochemistry and more clinically based sciences. Just do the best you can and tough it out, you shouldn't really base an entire career upon your feelings during a single class in a single semester in your second semester of college. I had lots of friends that started out as pre-Health until they took Gen Chem or Bio and washed out.

Reactions: 2 users
Definitely don't consider changing just because chemistry doesn't come easy. I didn't receive an A in any of my chemistry classes during undergrad and still had interviews as well as an acceptance to my #1 choice this cycle. Organic will be completely different than gen chem so you might actually find that class easier. Had I actually put the time into the class I may have done better. Oh well. As far as dental school goes, Biochem will be your only "chem" class taken. Don't stress.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, most of your higher up sciences will likely be easier than general chem. They might require more time and more memorization, but the material is more confined and straight forward. B grade is awesome, just hang in there and keep trying your best.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the supportive words guys! I feel much better now :)

You may wish to revisit your avatar.

Check out Chad's website. He has a section for college gen chem. And I bet it's as good as his DAT gen chem section.

So I'm currently in my second semester of college. Last semester I took Gen Chem I and got a B+ (with A's in all my other classes -_-). This semester I'm taking Gen Chem II and it looks like I'm going to get a grade somewhere in the B range as well. I just have a really hard time with chemistry in general, it seems. I know, B's might not seem that bad but I need to get as many A's as possible in order to cushion my GPA to prepare for harder, upper level classes I'm going to take later on. And also if I continuously get B's my science GPA will be around a 3.3 or 3.4 and I need to be a bit higher than that, at the very least a 3.5.

My question is, how important is chemistry in dental school? If I struggle with the subject should I consider another career choice? Thanks.

Hey, I should be asking you how you're getting a B in gen chem. I currently have a C :shrug:

Hey, I should be asking you how you're getting a B in gen chem. I currently have a C :shrug:
Lol, that was for last semester when I was taking Gen Chem I. I'm in Gen Chem II right now and I have my fingers crossed for a B by the time the semester ends in late April.

If it makes you feel better I got a 46% on the first exam of the semester, it was a disaster. But I've got my act together now, been doing all the homework and all the lecture exercises and am doing fairly well on the quizzes; all the other points add up so hopefully I should be able to get a B- at the very least, by the end of the semester. I also now know what to expect on the remaining three exams, so that should help.

For me what helped was going to office hours, SI sessions (at my school they have this thing where upperclassmen who have already taken the class hold study sessions during the week and they answer any questions you have and go over concepts) and I also watched youtube videos. If you're in Gen Chem I, I'd suggest checking out Tyler Dewitt's channel, he has some really good videos. For gen chem 2 I've found some playlists from ChemistNATE and Bozeman Science that seem to be helping so far. Reading the textbook and doing practice problems from it also helped. You can do it!!

Lol, that was for last semester when I was taking Gen Chem I. I'm in Gen Chem II right now and I have my fingers crossed for a B by the time the semester ends in late April.

If it makes you feel better I got a 46% on the first exam of the semester, it was a disaster. But I've got my act together now, been doing all the homework and all the lecture exercises and am doing fairly well on the quizzes; all the other points add up so hopefully I should be able to get a B- at the very least, by the end of the semester. I also now know what to expect on the remaining three exams, so that should help.

For me what helped was going to office hours, SI sessions (at my school they have this thing where upperclassmen who have already taken the class hold study sessions during the week and they answer any questions you have and go over concepts) and I also watched youtube videos. If you're in Gen Chem I, I'd suggest checking out Tyler Dewitt's channel, he has some really good videos. For gen chem 2 I've found some playlists from ChemistNATE and Bozeman Science that seem to be helping so far. Reading the textbook and doing practice problems from it also helped. You can do it!!
Thanks for all the recommendations! I did pretty bad on my first exam also and got a little depressed, but I can't change the grade I got so I just have to move on. I'm more of the memorization type so I just have to work a little bit harder for this class. Hope you do well in Gen Chem 2 this semester!

Really depends, orgo was the weed out course in my school. So that was kind of hard.

But gen chem was easy here.

But even if it IS a weed out course, B is fine.

Yep! Actually, more than half of those videos are free! check out those that have blue triangle next to them (those are free!) and see if you like them.
Wow this guy is great. Thanks!

go through his quizzes before you take the DAT, too.

Yep! Actually, more than half of those videos are free! check out those that have blue triangle next to them (those are free!) and see if you like them.
ooh thanks for pointing that out cause I didn't even realize!

has anyone used chads chem videos for ther college classes? if so are they helpful?

has anyone used chads chem videos for ther college classes? if so are they helpful?

He has a section on there for college level courses. If they were half as helpful as they were for the DAT, then it would be phenomenal.