Hardly any EC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjs010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I belong to a few groups but I don't really have any Ec's. I'm in my summer M1 out of the country right now. I've decided not to study this summer. I'm also not going to do any research because it didn't work out. I'm literally going to enjoy my summer and do nothing school related. Do you think this is okay to do? I mean, will I have time in the future to do some clinical research? I need at least some stuff for that res. app when the time comes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
tumblr_nhtocqvAGN1qb3doto1_250.gif

I belong to a few groups but I don't really have any Ec's. I'm in my summer M1 out of the country right now. I've decided not to study this summer. I'm also not going to do any research because it didn't work out. I'm literally going to enjoy my summer and do nothing school related. Do you think this is okay to do? I mean, will I have time in the future to do some clinical research? I need at least some stuff for that res. app when the time comes.

During M3, M3 electives, and beginning of M4.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like South Dakota just found themselves another Family Practice Doc.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah its totally fine OP. Research is unnecessary for most students. Relax and let your brain do nothing for awhile. Most of Step I is second year crap and the point of all these review courses is to retrieve M1 info from your long term memory so youll be fine.

Yeah its totally fine OP. Research is unnecessary for most students. Relax and let your brain do nothing for awhile. Most of Step I is second year crap and the point of all these review courses is to retrieve M1 info from your long term memory so youll be fine.

How do you mean that, seeing that most schools have different and varied timelines of teaching? For example, we did Neuro in our 1st year at my school, and I've heard quite a few other students say it was in 2nd year.

How do you mean that, seeing that most schools have different and varied timelines of teaching? For example, we did Neuro in our 1st year at my school, and I've heard quite a few other students say it was in 2nd year.
We did too, but that's still just 1 system. The majority has to be in 2nd yr. and to nontrad, I'll be damned if I end up a GP in South Dakota! Let me rephrase that: I will not be a GP in South Dakota...or anywhere

It's entirely fine to just relax this summer. But I'd encourage you to get involved in something at the very beginning of your 2nd year (it'll be tough to get involved with things 2nd semester, 2nd year due to board studying)... ideally research, but other leadership roles in clubs or clinical work would be a good idea.

Speaking as a 4th year with next to zero extracurriculars, I'd not recommend it. Filling out ERAS and leaving several sections blank is not a great feeling (and makes me wish I had done more).

Enjoy your summer!

South Dakota will be a place I might call home as well (psych or FM) since I won't have any meaningful ECs... As long as I have a job after that brutal 4 years, I should be ok..

We did too, but that's still just 1 system. The majority has to be in 2nd yr. and to nontrad, I'll be damned if I end up a GP in South Dakota! Let me rephrase that: I will not be a GP in South Dakota...or anywhere
My friend, a true GP (FMG with 2 year internship), just got a got a nice job in Montana... 180k/year... 25k/year loan repayment... 20k for relocation. 8am-5pm M-F with opportunity to moonlight at a nearby small community hospital on weekend. The job is in a small town in the middle of nowhere.

He told me that he will stay there for 6-7 years so he can pay off his student loan (he is a carib grad) and bank one million $$$, then come back to FL where the highest job offer he was able to get was 120k/year...

Not that bad to be a GP after all...

Last edited:
My friend, a true GP (FMG with 2 year internship), just got a got a nice job in Montana... 180k/year... 25k/year loan repayment... 20k for relocation. 8am-5pm M-F with opportunity to moonlight at a nearby small community hospital on weekend. The job is in a small town in the middle of nowhere.

He told me that he will stay there for 6-7 years so he can pay off his student loan (he is a carib grad) and bank one million $$$, then come back to FL where the highest job offer he was able to get was 120k/year...

so he didn't even complete a full FM residency?

South Dakota will be a place I might call home as well (psych or FM) since I won't have any meaningful ECs... As long as I have a job after that brutal 4 years, I should be ok..
You need a drink or something.

Rural is where it's at sometimes. I bet you can get great training at some of those places. Small towns sometimes have large-ish hospitals that draw in people from even smaller towns from hundreds of miles away. Also good pay.

Rural is where it's at sometimes. I bet you can get great training at some of those places. Small towns sometimes have large-ish hospitals that draw in people from even smaller towns from hundreds of miles away. Also good pay.

Also-

For some reason this is SDN blasphemy.....but believe it or not some people actually prefer rural areas over living in a city.

Reactions: 2 users
In my current rotation, my preceptor has privileges at three hospitals... rounding at each every day with 2-3 hours total driving in big city traffic has a way of making you evaluate where you want to live

EC's don't carry much weight. Enjoy yourself. Only do research if YOU actually enjoy research. Residencies don't really care if you president of some campus organization. They know it's mostly fluff. Don't be a fluffer.... unless you enjoy it. This checkbox approach to applications should die.

EC's don't carry much weight. Enjoy yourself. Only do research if YOU actually enjoy research. Residencies don't really care if you president of some campus organization. They know it's mostly fluff. Don't be a fluffer.... unless you enjoy it. This checkbox approach to applications should die.

I agree. And yet when I ask program directors what they look for in applicants, they say 'it's more than board scores. We want to see a commitment to service' and such. Especially in fields like FM. I can honestly say I'm interested in helping the underserved. That's why I'm going in to medicine. I wish I didn't have to check a box to prove an actual, sincere intention when I'm already stretched so thin with trying to balance med school with having a family and having time to take care of my own health.

I agree. And yet when I ask program directors what they look for in applicants, they say 'it's more than board scores. We want to see a commitment to service' and such. Especially in fields like FM. I can honestly say I'm interested in helping the underserved. That's why I'm going in to medicine. I wish I didn't have to check a box to prove an actual, sincere intention when I'm already stretched so thin with trying to balance med school with having a family and having time to take care of my own health.
Just do what you can on your own time. Apparently you will have time before you graduate. Just get some Ec's that you like and can genuinely talk about.