Harvard and Yale MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolverinegirl15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I’m planning on reapplying to Harvard and Yale for the MPH in healthcare management for Fall 2021. I applied last year to both and wasn’t accepted but with GRE scores not being required, I feel like I may have a shot since that was the weakest part of my application.

I have a masters in social work and have been working as a social worker for the past 3.5 years. I got my undergrad and grad degree at University of Michigan. Undergrad GPA is 3.61 and grad 3.88. I took statistics and intermediate algebra last summer at my local community college and got an A in both. I’ve taken a couple research methods classes in undergrad and grad school and did independent research projects where I collected data, coded and did statistical analysis to infer data.

I’m not sure if I have a better chance at getting in because the GRE is the waives. Can anyone give me insight on if I’m competitive or what Harvard and Yale looks for in applicants?

Also for Harvard I was going to apply to the MPH 45 vs MPH 65 because I already have a masters but would I have a better chance applying to MPH 65? Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

For Harvard, a lot of the people in the 45 program have a ton of experience (almost everyone is MD or med student, a couple of dental people, I think one nurse, and a couple of general public health people who have been working in the field for several years). You might have a shot at 45, but I think it's harder to get into than the 65, so if money and time aren't as much of a concern for you, I'd go for 65. You also get more time for electives that way and can easily pick up a concentration in something else if you're interested too.

Also, admissions are usually pretty responsive and you can probably just shoot them an email and ask!

For Harvard, a lot of the people in the 45 program have a ton of experience (almost everyone is MD or med student, a couple of dental people, I think one nurse, and a couple of general public health people who have been working in the field for several years). You might have a shot at 45, but I think it's harder to get into than the 65, so if money and time aren't as much of a concern for you, I'd go for 65. You also get more time for electives that way and can easily pick up a concentration in something else if you're interested too.

Also, admissions are usually pretty responsive and you can probably just shoot them an email and ask!
Hi! Thanks so much for the reply. I did talk to admissions but they told me to apply for the MPH 45 because I have a masters degree. Now I’m worried that I won’t get in again because I have less work experience. I feel like less people are applying this year due to COVID. Do you still think I might have a good chance of getting in?

Hi! Thanks so much for the reply. I did talk to admissions but they told me to apply for the MPH 45 because I have a masters degree. Now I’m worried that I won’t get in again because I have less work experience. I feel like less people are applying this year due to COVID. Do you still think I might have a good chance of getting in?
Oh sorry I glossed over the fact that you have a master's. If admissions said to apply for the 45 I'd just go with what they said, they're the ones making decisions anyway!