Harvard Extension Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoJoeyMojo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know of any post-bacc students who enrolled as ALB transfer students for financial aid purposes? If you did this, would you still be eligible for sponsorship by the HCP? I already have some of the pre-reqs done, so I know I'm not eligible for the certificate in Pre-Medical Studies.

Members don't see this ad.

GoJoeyMojo said:
Anybody know of any post-bacc students who enrolled as ALB transfer students for financial aid purposes? If you did this, would you still be eligible for sponsorship by the HCP? I already have some of the pre-reqs done, so I know I'm not eligible for the certificate in Pre-Medical Studies.

are you not allowed to apply if you have already done some pre-reqs? What if you want to take them over? Hmmm, should have read that web page better :)

I am considering taking Harvard Ext courses next year to buff up my GPA. I will be graduation from undergrad in May 2007. I think that I can finish all the pre-req courses in one year...but I just wanted to know when I'd be applying for med school. Anyone know when I'd be applying to med school? Would I be applying to med school for fall 2008 acceptance or Fall 2009 acceptance? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
sheilam said:
are you not allowed to apply if you have already done some pre-reqs? What if you want to take them over? Hmmm, should have read that web page better :)

No, you can apply if you have taken some pre reqs. They determine how many additional credits you need to qualify for sponsorship depending on your GPA at the time you apply. If you are accepted, the minimum amount of credits you have to take to attain sponsorship is 20 (if your GPA is 3.2 or higher). The number of credits you need to take increases if your GPA is lower. Read the website again.

yllwpyo83 said:
I am considering taking Harvard Ext courses next year to buff up my GPA. I will be graduation from undergrad in May 2007. I think that I can finish all the pre-req courses in one year...but I just wanted to know when I'd be applying for med school. Anyone know when I'd be applying to med school? Would I be applying to med school for fall 2008 acceptance or Fall 2009 acceptance? :confused:

If you start in Fall 2007 you can complete the 4 required courses in one year and a summer. Therefore, you can technically take the MCAT and apply in August 2008 to start medical school in 2009. However, it is extremely tough to do it in one year, so very few even go that route. They highly recommend students to do the 2 year route if you need to take all 4 courses.

GoJoeyMojo said:

IF you have taken any of the 4 required pre-reqs with labs, than you are not eligible for the diploma or certificate. The only exception is if you took the sciences for non-science majors (ie 3 credit biology that did not have a lab section). However, as I said above, if you have taken pre-reqs you are still eligible for sponsorship, should you apply and be accepted.

Since I've already taken 2 of the required pre-reqs, I'm only enrolling in the classes I need. My question is, how fast do the courses fill up? I'm concerned because registration for non certificate/diploma students doesn't open until Aug 21. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

MedSchoolHopefu said:
Since I've already taken 2 of the required pre-reqs, I'm only enrolling in the classes I need. My question is, how fast do the courses fill up? I'm concerned because registration for non certificate/diploma students doesn't open until Aug 21. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

There is no enrollment limit in the 4 required pre-reqs, however there has been a drastic increase in the number of students taking classes this year. You should be fine if you register when registration opens. However do not wait until the day class starts because important emails regarding section/lab schedules are confirmed via your registration email. Therefore if you have not registered you will not have a choice to select times for lab/section and they will just stick you in the one that is open, which may not be at a convenient time for you.