Harvard GRE scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheJooce

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For people who applied to/are interviewing at Harvard/MIT's program, have you taken the GRE? Their MD/PhD FAQs say that "most graduate programs will require this. We encourage our students to take the GRE to have the score on record when they need it."

I was extended an II and have still not taken it. Are they possibly referring to taking it some time during year 2 before you enter your PhD department?

I checked out the departments I would be likely to join, and they both said the GRE is optional, which I know is a recent trend. I'm just a little confused about how accurate their FAQ answer is at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

For people who applied to/are interviewing at Harvard/MIT's program, have you taken the GRE? Their MD/PhD FAQs say that "most graduate programs will require this. We encourage our students to take the GRE to have the score on record when they need it."

I was extended an II and have still not taken it. Are they possibly referring to taking it some time during year 2 before you enter your PhD department?

I checked out the departments I would be likely to join, and they both said the GRE is optional, which I know is a recent trend. I'm just a little confused about how accurate their FAQ answer is at this point.

Contact us page: The M.D.-Ph.D. Program at Harvard Medical School

I wouldn't stress about it. Its not part of their MSTP evaluation process as far as I can tell. Unlike most schools, you do still need to apply internally to your graduate program in your second MD year. I was told by a representative that this is more a formality than anything else (i.e. no one really gets rejected). However, I guess a graduate program could demand GRE scores if they wanted, but you got this far, I'd expect you to be able to pull a fairly good GRE score out of thin air if you really needed to.

I wouldn't stress about it. Its not part of their MSTP evaluation process as far as I can tell. Unlike most schools, you do still need to apply internally to your graduate program in your second MD year. I was told by a representative that this is more a formality than anything else (i.e. no one really gets rejected). However, I guess a graduate program could demand GRE scores if they wanted, but you got this far, I'd expect you to be able to pull a fairly good GRE score out of thin air if you really needed to.

Yeah I figured, just wanted to check on here. Thanks!