Harvard MPH Admitted 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gonfer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to start a thread to share my excitement!!

HSPH is my top choice, I got accepted to the MD/MPH in Global Health. I'm a 23 year old MD from Mexico City. Is anyone else going to the admitted students day?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I don't know if I will be going to admitted students day as my other visits have pretty much depleted my funds, but Harvard is one of my top choices. My biggest hesitation is the cost. I wonder when we'll hear back from financial aid.

Heard back from financial aid today and to channel Liz Lemon, blerg! All loans. Granted, I would be doing the one-year SM and graduating a year earlier into a paid position (knock on wood), so... financially it could be worse.

Harvard's still near the top of my list, but I'm going to wait on other financial aid packages before I decide on admitted student day.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi guys! I am admitted into SM2 epi department and heard from financial aid office today - no financial assistance can be provided for this year.. I am an international student so that is maybe the reason.....
I may attend the open house on 3/27...
See you guys there if you are able to come ;-)

I would be doing Epi SM2 (still waiting to hear back from JHSPH!). I'm going to the visit day on the 27th - unfortunately my flight gets into Boston too late to go to the Epi admitted students mixer on Thursday night, but hopefully there'll be other fun events on Friday night? I don't know anyone in Boston! Looking forward to seeing you all there!

I would be doing Epi SM2 (still waiting to hear back from JHSPH!). I'm going to the visit day on the 27th - unfortunately my flight gets into Boston too late to go to the Epi admitted students mixer on Thursday night, but hopefully there'll be other fun events on Friday night? I don't know anyone in Boston! Looking forward to seeing you all there!

I got admitted for the SM2 in Epi as well, really excited :)

I got into JHU as well (International Health) and am having a very hard time deciding which to choose. I know they are both excellent programs, so am tempted to go to Harvard for the brand name (I intend to work in international organizations and I think Harvard has the strongest brand recognition internationally) and the fact that I am a city person (have been living in NYC, and loving it, for the past 6 years) and from that perspective Baltimore doesn't compare with Boston. But I am torn between the two schools especially since some people insist Hopkins would be the better choice...

Like others who posted here, I have not received any financial aid from Harvard. None from Hopkins either, but they give the 75% tuition discount the second year.

Another pretty strong consideration is the fact that at Hopkins there would essentially be only one year of courses, given that the second year would be a field placement.

I got accepted to the Global Health MPH program. I also got the financial aid package - loans that cover a little over half the tuition!! I'm going to wait for the scholarship info as well which are supposed to be out second half of March. I'm not very hopeful. I will be there on March 27th.

Last edited:
I got accepted to the Global Health MPH program. I also got the financial aid package - loans that cover just about half the tuition!! I'm going to wait for the scholarship info as well which are supposed to be out second half of March. I'm not very hopeful. I will be there on March 27th.

Didn't know they are still working on the scholarships part--okay that gives me more hope!

I got into the MPH in Global Health, and received my financial aid info a few days later. When I saw the total amount of $45,500 I got SO excited, but then quickly realized that this is all in loans (with the exception of $4,500 work study?). Blerg indeed. A bit of hope that scholarship info will be sent on a rolling basis until March 27, so fingers crossed! I hope people will share on here if they hear anything more on scholarships! Good luck to everyone.

hi guys! I am admitted into SM2 epi department and heard from financial aid office today - no financial assistance can be provided for this year.. I am an international student so that is maybe the reason.....
I may attend the open house on 3/27...
See you guys there if you are able to come ;-)
Do you mean all international student. I got admittd into the MPH (Health Policy field of study) and I am an international student. Will that apply to me as well?

Hi guys, just got admitted into the Harvard MPH program as an international student and I am kind of confused about finances. Will there be loans available for international students this year. And if there be some that require cosigner, how wise will it be to accept a loan for Harvard? Pls I want to know the pros and cons of accepting a Harvard loan.
In any case Harvard is my first choice only for the fact that I am financially handicapped.

Last edited:
Hi guys, just got admitted into the Harvard MPH program as an international student and I am kind of confused about finances. Will there be loans available for international students this year. And if there be some that require no cosigner, how wise will it be to accept a loan for Harvard? How do international students amortize their student loan when we consider the fact that most will be coming on F1 visas that require them to return home on graduation. Pls I want to know the pros and cons of accepting a Harvard loan.
In any case Harvard is my first choice only for the fact that I am financially handicapped.

Info on loans for international students is here: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/osfs/loan-information/international/

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks man for the swift response. But I have got one more question
I am aware that loan from Financial Aid offce can be used as a financial certicate in obtaing the form 120 for visa process. But will such be an acceptable financial certification at embassies in foreingn countries?

Yes, definitely. When you go for the visa interview, they will look at the I-20 form for proof of financing, and loans are definitely acceptable. (I am also international and went through this sane process for undergrad, as I did my undergrad studies in the US as well>)

hi guys! got accepted into MPH health policy. excited but still not completely certain. It's a 9 month program, and for international graduates like me I wonder what the job market will be like and how receptive they will be. can anybody help?

Do you mean all international student. I got admittd into the MPH (Health Policy field of study) and I am an international student. Will that apply to me as well?
looks like we will be classmates!!

hi guys! got accepted into MPH health policy. excited but still not completely certain. It's a 9 month program, and for international graduates like me I wonder what the job market will be like and how receptive they will be. can anybody help?

Congrats! Granted I'm a Global Health student, but I have thinking hard about the program considering the amount of money we will have to shell out! From talking with a couple of students (current and past) it seems that the degree banks on the brand name to a large extent. It appears that the connections that you make while at Harvard will be much more important than the course work per se. I have no idea about the job market but from their website it appears most graduates do find positions. I'm sure the Harvard brand will open doors more easily anywhere in the world. Hope that helps.

Congrats! Granted I'm a Global Health student, but I have thinking hard about the program considering the amount of money we will have to shell out! From talking with a couple of students (current and past) it seems that the degree banks on the brand name to a large extent. It appears that the connections that you make while at Harvard will be much more important than the course work per se. I have no idea about the job market but from their website it appears most graduates do find positions. I'm sure the Harvard brand will open doors more easily anywhere in the world. Hope that helps.
thanks for the reply. I was wondering about the U.S job market per se. My boyfriend lives in New York and I am looking to work in the east coast after I graduate. But being a foreign national, i wonder if I will find sponsors for a work visa. Does the Harvard name help me in that! been super stressed out.

thanks for the reply. I was wondering about the U.S job market per se. My boyfriend lives in New York and I am looking to work in the east coast after I graduate. But being a foreign national, i wonder if I will find sponsors for a work visa. Does the Harvard name help me in that! been super stressed out.

Hmm ... unfortunately that could be an issue. Until a couple of months back I was on a work visa and I know only too well the hardships (from colleagues) of getting a job on a work visa :(

Hmm ... unfortunately that could be an issue. Until a couple of months back I was on a work visa and I know only too well the hardships (from colleagues) of getting a job on a work visa :(
Sigh! that is depressing but if i am to get an Mph would Harvard be more helpful as opposed to other mph programs because of all the reasons you mentioned. what do you think?

Sigh! that is depressing but if i am to get an Mph would Harvard be more helpful as opposed to other mph programs because of all the reasons you mentioned. what do you think?

The visa issue depends on whether you are planning to stay in academia to do research. If yes, then you won't have problems irrespective of where you get your MPH. But if you want to work in the private sector then it is pure luck getting an H1 (it's lottery-based). Also, I think the private sector has to pay more to sponsor a work visa. I don't know about the state departments, non-governmental agencies etc. That's the long answer. Short answer - maybe not. But I'm no expert and I would definitely try asking other internationals that have completed the course. I knew somebody who went to Harvard and was international. I could try and find out?

The visa issue depends on whether you are planning to stay in academia to do research. If yes, then you won't have problems irrespective of where you get your MPH. But if you want to work in the private sector then it is pure luck getting an H1 (it's lottery-based). Also, I think the private sector has to pay more to sponsor a work visa. I don't know about the state departments, non-governmental agencies etc. That's the long answer. Short answer - maybe not. But I'm no expert and I would definitely try asking other internationals that have completed the course. I knew somebody who went to Harvard and was international. I could try and find out?
I spoke to a couple of people, they said it isn't very hard. But if you could ask that would be amazing!! thank you so so much

I spoke to a couple of people, they said it isn't very hard. But if you could ask that would be amazing!! thank you so so much

I actually heard from the person who went to Harvard over the weekend. She got a job right away on OPT (optional practical training) on the F1 student visa itself. So that would be a good way to get your foot in the door and make them want you enough to sponsor an H1 :). I wonder if it also makes a diff on the country you come from?

Will you be there for the open house on 27th?

Has anyone heard any scholarship information? This will be a big deciding factor for me, so I'm anxious to hear before March 27th. If anyone has any stats on percentage of students receiving financial aid, or the average award amount, that would be great!

I actually heard from the person who went to Harvard over the weekend. She got a job right away on OPT (optional practical training) on the F1 student visa itself. So that would be a good way to get your foot in the door and make them want you enough to sponsor an H1 :). I wonder if it also makes a diff on the country you come from?

Will you be there for the open house on 27th?
no unfortunately not!! though i wish i was :(. well, all said and done, I am definitely accepting Harvard. I'd be a fool not to. Will just work my butt off and see what happens next. Will see you in the fall, I guess :)

Reactions: 1 user
Has everyone on here already decided on Harvard? I'm going to wait until I go to the visit day on 27th and Yale's small group visit on the 30th. Also, waiting on the financial package/scholarship details.
Also, have people already starting looking for housing (if accepting Harvard)?

Has everyone on here already decided on Harvard? I'm going to wait until I go to the visit day on 27th and Yale's small group visit on the 30th. Also, waiting on the financial package/scholarship details.
Also, have people already starting looking for housing (if accepting Harvard)?

I have :) I'll be there on the 27th. I'm also an international student, I'd like to get into a medical residency on a H1B visa afterwards, I know it's hard and they give out few of those but I'm hoping having Harvard on my resume will make things easier for me.

I just sent in my deposit! so relieved but now to start freaking out about finding housing haha

I just sent in my deposit! so relieved but now to start freaking out about finding housing haha

I'm still a bit on the fence. Will visit next week and will visit Yale on 30th and then make my decision. Will start looking for a place after.

Hi everyone I just found out a few hours ago that I was accepted into the Environmental Health SM program!

I really want to go, and to be honest, being fresh out of undergrad and only having a 154Q GRE score, I didn't expect to get in. Hahaha so now I basically have to go, and my family is kind of forcing me to due to being able to have endless bragging rights.

I am worried about the price though. Although this isn't counting scholarships (I don't know how common those are for harvard) or financial aid or FAFSA, I'm looking at 80K at Harvard for two years VS the University of Minnesota, which is 48K for two years (and there I'm guaranteed a scholarship at least, and research positions there look plentiful). But then again, the name recognition and prestige, and connections of the king of all ivy leagues does kind of make that cost worth it. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also while I got the financial aid application in before the priority deadline, I didn't get my FAFSA in until March 9th.. do you think that would negatively impact my ability to get a scholarship or financial aid?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I am also an international student and I got into the MPH in Global Health. I am doing all my best to go to Harvard.

I wanted to ask you if you already received information about the scholarships.

Unluckily, I can not do it the 27th! Please let me know how it goes.

Hi everyone,
I am also an international student and I got into the MPH in Global Health. I am doing all my best to go to Harvard.

I wanted to ask you if you already received information about the scholarships.

Unluckily, I can not do it the 27th! Please let me know how it goes.

No word on scholarships so far. I don't know if that means I didn't get it? I'm going to talk to financial aid office when I visit on 27th. If they don't offer me more loans I can't afford it.

No word on scholarships so far. I don't know if that means I didn't get it? I'm going to talk to financial aid office when I visit on 27th. If they don't offer me more loans I can't afford it.

I got an email from the financial aid people and they said that they wouldn't be done making their scholarship decisions until March 27th, and that we'd be notified about it by email as soon as a decision was reached.

I also got informatio on federal loan eligibility from them but no word on need or merit based aid yet.

I'm unable to go to the event on the 27th, but I'd love to meet all of you that are going. Are you all mainly going for the MPH degree or the SM degree? I'm going to be basically fresh out ofundergrad for the Environmental Health SM program and I'm wondering if the majority of people in my cohort will be similarly fresh or more experienced.

Last edited:
I got an email from the financial aid people and they said that they wouldn't be done making their scholarship decisions until March 27th, and that we'd be notified about it by email as soon as a decision was reached.

I also got informatio on federal loan eligibility from them but no word on need or merit based aid yet.

I'm unable to go to the event on the 27th, but I'd love to meet all of you that are going. Are you all mainly going for the MPH degree or the SM degree? I'm going to be basically fresh out ofundergrad for the Environmental Health SM program and I'm wondering if the majority of people in my cohort will be similarly fresh or more experienced.

I'm an MPH applicant - post PhD and 5 years of post-doc experience. I got the federal loan info as well but it barely covers half the tuition!

I'm an MPH applicant - post PhD and 5 years of post-doc experience. I got the federal loan info as well but it barely covers half the tuition!
Lol yeah I just realized that this thread is about the MPH program, not SM, I should probably start a separate one later so it's not as confusing, as our fields of focus, goals, and ages will be pretty different.

Sooo ... just got another email from Harvard financial aid - only loans. Apparently scholarship info has gone out and I haven't received that email. Boo.

Last edited:
Sooo ... just got another email from Harvard financial aid - only loans. Apparently scholarship info has gone out and I haven't received that email. Boo.

Same here.. the question is, who did get a scholarship?

I declined my offer today, so hopefully someone on the wait list will get good news!

Didn't get any scholarship either. Just wondering if a 70k loan will be worth it. But I seen to have no choice. I got accepted at Kentucky, Minnesota and North Texas but none offered me scholarship either.

Didn't get any scholarship either. Just wondering if a 70k loan will be worth it. But I seen to have no choice. I got accepted at Kentucky, Minnesota and North Texas but none offered me scholarship either.
How did you find out that UMN didn't give you one? I mean I guess its not as bad for them since UMN is so much cheaper but still..

I might just try my luck with external funding sources to try and reduce the cost a bit.

No scholarship either. Guess that makes the decision for me. Pretty disappointed!!!

Honestly it sounds like most of their funds go towards doctoral candidates, while masters candidates at top schools are only awarded if they're among the best of the best of the accepted applicants, with only a few available slots.

I'd say the biggest problem with public health education is that nearly every doctoral program needs a masters degree for admission, for more academic fields like biology, chemistry, economics or math, thats not the case, so all my bio/chem friends are bragging about their fully funded PhD programs that they're getting int right out of undergrad, while I have to pay a tremendous amount.

Part of the issue is that public health is divided into practice and research based degrees and careers, and while I'll be treating my MS as a stepping stone to a doctoral degree, most people who get an MPH will stop their education after that. I wish that more schools would streamline their MS programs into PhD programs more efficiently so I could just commit to the PhD with funding and earn my MS alongtheway, just like with every other acadmeic discipline.

How did you find out that UMN didn't give you one? I mean I guess its not as bad for them since UMN is so much cheaper but still..

I might just try my luck with external funding sources to try and reduce the cost a bit.
I didn't receive any mail from UMN. I got accepted to the PHAP program. They promise scholarship infos would be out by March 15

Please I ve got a question. Will a Harvard Loan really be worth it for an international student coming from a developing nation? I mean a loan of say $70k

Please I ve got a question. Will a Harvard Loan really be worth it for an international student coming from a developing nation? I mean a loan of say $70k

It really depends on your own circumstances (job prospects, career goals, etc), but think about it very carefully before you do take out that kind of loan. Especially as I imagine the loan would be private since you wouldn't qualify for federally-backed loans that have safeguards. It's difficult enough for American students to manage that kind of debt burden, and the salaries for nationals of developing countries tend to be much much lower. Before you leap into it, are there other options? Does your government provide any funding for overseas study? Are there external scholarships for nationals of developing countries that you could apply for if you deferred for a year? If you deferred and worked for a year, could you cut down on the loans you would meet? Did you get into any other schools with scholarships? Only you can decide if the loan will be "worth it" but do consider all the options before you take out $70K!

Did anyone go to the open house today? What were your thoughts?

I actually enjoyed the whole experience. It was a contrast to my experience when I visited last fall for a prospective applicant info session. That event was informative but wasn't very comprehensive compared to the same type of event at Yale. But coming back to yesterday's event...

It started off with general remarks and a really funny presentation on why we should choose Harvard over the other. After that we were broken up into groups depending on our concentration (or field of study as it is now called). Unfortunately, we (the Global Health people, both SM and MPH) barely had time to introduce ourselves and the faculty did the same as well. Personally, I wish we had more time in the department. But we broke away again by the different degrees we had applied to. And there (the MPH group), each of the program directors gave a brief overview of the different fields of study, most of which is on the website. The rest of the sessions were well organised but I felt didn't offer much information beyond what was on their website - for example, the career services, financial aid etc. I really didn't learn anything new. I did find out from talking to people that the Career services director left suddenly and currently they just have an interim director. Hopefully, it will change by the time some of us go back in the fall.

What I did like (and was most useful) was the opportunity to speak with some of the faculty at lunch time, and also with some of the current students (although, a majority of the current students were visiting NYC on a career services trip). I also got a chance to talk with some of the alumni during the mixer in the evening. From talking to the current students it seemed very evident that they were enjoying their time at Harvard and the opportunities given. They were especially appreciative of the opportunities to cross register for courses across schools - the Kennedy School, MIT, Harvard Business School etc.

Overall, I must say I'm feeling more favorably towards Harvard, but I'm still thinking because of the money involved. But at this point it looks like the money issue is going to be the same irrespective of whether I choose to go to Harvard, Yale or BU.

Hope that helps. If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask away :).

Last edited:
I actually enjoyed the whole experience. It was a contrast to my experience when I visited last fall for a prospective applicant info session. That event was informative but wasn't very comprehensive compared to the same type of event at Yale. But coming back to yesterday's event...

It started off with general remarks and a really funny presentation on why we should choose Harvard over the other. After that we were broken up into groups depending on our concentration (or field of study as it is now called). Unfortunately, we (the Global Health people, both SM and MPH) barely had time to introduce ourselves and the faculty did the same as well. Personally, I wish we had more time in the department. But we broke away again by the different degrees we had applied to. And there (the MPH group), each of the program directors gave a brief overview of the different fields of study, most of which is on the website. The rest of the sessions were well organised but I felt didn't offer much information beyond what was on their website - for example, the career services, financial aid etc. I really didn't learn anything new. I did find out from talking to people that the Career services director left suddenly and currently they just have an interim director. Hopefully, it will change by the time some of us go back in the fall.

What I did like (and was most useful) was the opportunity to speak with some of the faculty at lunch time, and also with some of the current students (although, a majority of the current students were visiting NYC on a career services trip). I also got a chance to talk with some of the alumni during the mixer in the evening. From talking to the current students it seemed very evident that they were enjoying their time at Harvard and the opportunities given. They were especially appreciative of the opportunities to cross register for courses across schools - the Kennedy School, MIT, Harvard Business School etc.

Overall, I must say I'm feeling more favorably towards Harvard, but I'm still thinking because of the money involved. But at this point it looks like the money issue is going to be the same irrespective of whether I choose to go to Harvard, Yale or BU.

Hope that helps. If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask away :).

Hahaha why was their presentation on choosing Harvard funny?

And yeah I don't see much of a reason to choose BU over Harvard, other than graduating in 1.5 years to save from living expenses. For me, Harvard is the most expensive school, but will give me the best opportunities by far. Drexel, I'm not considering anymore, and Buffalo basically took me for free, but I'd be damned to stay there hahaha. UMN is my other strongest choice, and its tuition and living expenses are considerably cheaper than Harvard, while its ranking is still up there, and it is fairly prestigious while being a lot cheaper. I will say that my partner has much better job prospects in Boston which also sways me towards Harvard.

I suppose it sucks that I only qualified for tons of funding from the lower quality schools, but public health seems to be too competitve of a field to sacrifice prestige for price.

Last edited:
It was meant to be funny. I guess they know people have already made their decision one way or an other. Basically, the presentation took pot shots at each of the other top school locations (not the school itself directly). When I commented on it at the end of the day, the presenter said "we try not take ourselves too seriously, BUT, we do take public health seriously".

I visited Yale today and had already visited BU early March. I think I'm leaning toward Harvard.