Harvard MSTP secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unsweet_Tea_Enthusiast

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, is it just me, or is the Harvard MSTP secondary kind of odd?

The mission of the Harvard/MIT MD-PhD program is “to train the next generation of premier and diverse physician-scientist leaders”. Please describe, in the form of a high-impact abstract of your life experiences to date, how your personal story, spectrum of talents, and academic accomplishments reflect your potential to become the premier and diverse physician-scientist leader we seek. * (250 words)

Who says words like "premier" without being ironic? What do they mean by"high-impact abstract"?

How would you answer this?

@wysdoc @Moko and any other adcoms: what do you think? how should I even approach something like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ok, is it just me, or is the Harvard MSTP secondary kind of odd?

The mission of the Harvard/MIT MD-PhD program is “to train the next generation of premier and diverse physician-scientist leaders”. Please describe, in the form of a high-impact abstract of your life experiences to date, how your personal story, spectrum of talents, and academic accomplishments reflect your potential to become the premier and diverse physician-scientist leader we seek. * (250 words)

Who says words like "premier" without being ironic? What do they mean by"high-impact abstract"?

How would you answer this?

@wysdoc @Moko and any other adcoms: what do you think? how should I even approach something like this?
Out of my league, @Unsweet_Tea_Enthusiast

@Fencer any insight?

Reactions: 1 users
For reference on this discussion

The term "premier" is used in many MSTP websites (looking at UCLA, Penn, UCI, ...) so I think it's a common marketing term for all the MSTP's.

How I read into that term is that the students should display high potential or demonstrate recognition for leadership or accomplishment. It's a highly aspirational term, especially given the level of excellence expected of someone who will be supported by an institutional NIH training grant.

I think you should simplify reading the prompt. This is my simplification, though you could try to run the prompt through a chatbot.
Please describe how your personal story, spectrum of talents, and academic accomplishments reflect your potential to become the exceptional and diverse physician-scientist leader we seek. Your biosketch/TMAY should be limited to 250 words, just like a conference abstract.

[Edited for emphasis on key points.]

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This is also an opening for diverse applicants to describe impactful life experiences associated with their race/ethnicity. You can thank the SCOTUS for the odd nature of this question as it is phrased based upon the majority opinion of allowed considerations.

• Wow