Harvard SM2 vs. Columbia MPH for Epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SM2 and MPH = equal credentials?

• Total voters

kiwiisafruit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I got accepted into Harvard's SM2 in Epi and Columbia's MPH - Epi. Just wondering what are the differences between getting an MPH degree vs. non-MPH degree in terms of post-graduation opportunities and how it's viewed by employers. I eventually want to work in pharma or perhaps continue onto a PhD. Just wasn't sure if having a degree that is an MS and not an MPH will change anything, like is it stronger to have an MPH or MS, or are they basically viewed as the same since they both would teach similar (if not the same) skills?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My understanding is that an MS is more research oriented vs. an MPH which is more practice based. So if you want to continue onto a PhD, I'd think an MS would prepare you better for that type of work. Just my 2 cents.

Basically the same. Look at the stickied thread above.

If you want to continue onto a PhD or a research-focused job, a MS will better suit you as you'll have a more quantitative focused degree.