MPH Harvard vs. Johns Hopkins (Master's)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sabrosura

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am in the extremely fortunate position of having to decide between an MSPH at Johns Hopkins (MSPH is what JHU calls their 2-year MPH program, which consists of courses the first year and a field placement the second year) in the International Health department--Human Nutrition concentration, and a Master of Science (MSc) at Harvard in the Epidemiology Department--Nutritional Epidemiology concentration (the admission offer is for the Epi department so I can choose a different concentration as well).

The main difference between the two degrees is that JHU's MSPH is a professional degree while Harvard is a more research oriented degree. However this distinction does not really seem to me to affect job prospects after graduation and refers more to the fact that Harvard's degree requires a thesis, with all that entails, while JHU's does not. My undergrad professors urge me to choose Harvard as a Harvard degree will open a lot more doors and career opportunities. That is my impression as well, especially since I intend to work in international organizations where based on my experience, an Ivy name--and especially Harvard--is worth more regardless of 'rankings'.

The other difference between the two programs is that the second year at JHU would be a field placement, so there would be only one year of courses. This is counterbalanced by the fact that JHU offers a 75% tuition reduction the second year.

I want to do my due diligence as thoroughly as possible and as such hope to hear from others who have had direct experience with one or both of these schools or have faced a similar decision.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am having the same problem as well. :( I'm on the pre-medical track but I would like to get my Master's first. So, I think if Harvard doesn't give me aid, then I would have to choose JHU solely because it's a lot more affordable.

Hope to hear others' thoughts as well!

I have the same problem too... also decide between jhu msph (international health department with global disease epi control ) vs. harvard 2-year sm2 epi vs. yale chronic epi MPH.....I did not get any financial aid from any these schools... jhu does seem to have a lower total cost for two years (25% tuition only for 2nd year) but still.. harvard is big name .. yale is cheaper than harvard and I may choose global health track which will offer me more experience in terms of application and career. ..

Members don't see this ad :)
What are both of your research interests? Which school matches what you want to do the best? Have you emailed faculty at each school and in your respective program? Have you visited (probably most important)? In terms of "name" and if you are planning to go to medical school, both schools have top medical schools, high research funding in the biomedical and health sciences, probably have equal employment opportunities and have top faculty and a history of excellence in medicine and public health. Location may play a role. Any of these schools close to your family and friends? Both cities have a different feel. Finances? Is it cheaper to live in Boston or Baltimore. Social environment (probably can get a sense from visiting)? Curriculum? JHU is on the fast paced quarter system and some schools are on a semester system? Some schools use STATA, others use SAS. Do you want to do research or be in the "field?" These are big distinctions that only you can figure out.

Talk to your friends and faculty members that know you at your undergraduate institution and ask what they think. Talk to family and friends and ask for their opinions. I remember emailing a faculty member and he emailed me back on a weekend and we chatted over email for a day or so and through that conversation I decided on the school I would go to in addition to other considerations of course.

Reactions: 1 users
I am also considering the MPH at Hopkins and the Nutritional Epi SM2 at Harvard (and 2 other schools as well). I was fortunate enough to receive a scholarship at Hopkins that would make it by far my most affordable option, but I have some reservations about the fast pace of the program and I am worried that I will not have ample opportunities to work and interact with faculty. Does anyone have additional information about the accelerated structure of the MPH at Hopkins (the MSPH is a similar structure, just with a practicum in the 2nd yr)?

Also, with regard to Harvard's SM2, I really do not think I can justify ~90k in loans for a masters...I work with several people who have been in this program or Harvard's MPH and I have no doubt that it is one of the top epi programs, but I have a hard time believing that the extra 30-60k in loans will be worth it, esp if I'm planning to go on to a doctorate...

Hi everyone, long overdue update here since I have been in Cuba for the past four weeks and Internet access is tough (and no time for Internet anyway, too many better things to do here, like salsa dancing every night :))

I was extreeeeeemely excited, after receiving two emails in March from Harvard´s financial aid office telling me nope, nada for you (in fancier terms :p), and a similar email from the department, to get a third email from the financial aid office a week ago (which I expected to be similar to the first two) telling me I was awarded a half-tuition scholarship!! :banana:I was shocked and immediately started jumping up and down :D.

So I chose Harvard and I will be starting the Epi SM2 program in the fall! The scholarship made the decision between Harvard and Hopkins, which I had been agonizing over, much, much easier!

Reactions: 1 user
If I was in the same position, I'd choose JHU over Harvard. The reason being is that JHU is more of a powerhouse in terms of public health than Harvard, and has been ranked higher than them for a while. However, if I had the scholarship that the OP got, and given the info regarding Harvard having a thesis, then I might go to Harvard as well.

Hey everyone, I wanted to get some insight for the experience requirement listed on the JHSPH MPH program website. Have any of you been accepted with your work experience DURING/a year after college? I have some extensive public/international health experience, but I'm graduations with a BS and BA this August.

Also, I'm also registered to take some online classes as a special/non-matriculate student at JHU.

With that said, I don't have the "minimum two years post-bacc work experience", but do have other work and experiences during college that I think would be appreciated (went to Ghana last summer even during the Ebola outbreak to work on preventative outreach efforts, for example).

Any advice would greatly be appreciated!!

I have a bachelor's degree in dentistry. Do I still need work experience for MPH at hopkins?
I am an international student.

Hi everyone, long overdue update here since I have been in Cuba for the past four weeks and Internet access is tough (and no time for Internet anyway, too many better things to do here, like salsa dancing every night :))

I was extreeeeeemely excited, after receiving two emails in March from Harvard´s financial aid office telling me nope, nada for you (in fancier terms :p), and a similar email from the department, to get a third email from the financial aid office a week ago (which I expected to be similar to the first two) telling me I was awarded a half-tuition scholarship!! :banana:I was shocked and immediately started jumping up and down :D.

So I chose Harvard and I will be starting the Epi SM2 program in the fall! The scholarship made the decision between Harvard and Hopkins, which I had been agonizing over, much, much easier!
How did you convince them to give you the scholarship?