Has any info emerged about USC MS Global Science Admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kentobari

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm on a GPA damage control plan, finishing up my prereqs at Berkeley Extension this year. I would like to plan on applying to USC's MS in Global Medicine.

The good news is that I have a real, enduring, and most importantly demonstrable interest in Global Medicine, having graduated with a degree in anthropology and serving 2 long years as a Peace Corps Volunteer, and with plenty of work with US minority and low income communities. This is precisely why this program interests me in ways that other SMP's never could.

My undergrad cGPA is like 2.9. I'm going to take Phys2, Org 1&2, Calc, and maybe one or two other classes at Berkeley Extension and hope to get A's across the board, and take the MCAT before/while applying. I'm 28 years old at the moment.

So, I was wondering what the word on the street is about their selectivity. My instincts tell me that as a whole package, my undergraduate GPA can be overlooked, but some people can get pretty focused on that number.

Tangentially, what I love most about this program is that if, for some reason, the med school curriculum part of the program scares me away from wanting to become a medical student, I'll still receive a masters degree which would allow me a career in public health (when added to my other aggregate experiences). Don't worry, the ADCOMS will never find out that I'm not 9,000,000% committed to becoming a physician.

Any input helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the Peace Corps will help you a lot! But I remember reading that 3.0 is their cutoff GPA. Not positive though. Someone want to confirm that?

I'm extremely interested in this program too! Anyone who's done the program want to share stats and what helped them get in?

I think the Peace Corps will help you a lot! But I remember reading that 3.0 is their cutoff GPA. Not positive though. Someone want to confirm that?

I'm extremely interested in this program too! Anyone who's done the program want to share stats and what helped them get in?

In my personal experience, those minimum GPA requirements aren't always hard cutoffs. The same 3.0 minimum is stated on the website for Berkeley Extension Pre-health certificate program, but as it turns out people get accepted with less.

You may get in to the MSGM, but if your ultimate goal is medical school, and you need to repair your application, MSGM might not be the best option. It's really expensive, and not a lot of adcoms know about it, I don't think.