Has anyone been able to find scholarship(s)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to be 250k+ in the red after med school and I know I want to be a FM or IM physician; therefore, my prospect to be able to pay back my loan and live a middle class life is not looking good... Does anyone have info about scholarship(s) that are available for medical students that might allow me to bring that BLOCKBUSTER amount down from 250k+ to 150k-170k?

Members don't see this ad.

[

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you know you want to do IM or FM NHSC is your best bet. Have you considered that?

You may also want to look up public service loan forgiveness (PSLF). It's in jeopardy right now (thanks, Congress), but it's still something to put a dent in your debt.

The military is also not a bad idea. You can do military full time or do reserves, which allows you to work as a civilian but with some part-time duties. However, I heard that it's best if you join this program not just for the money, but to serve your country as well. (I'm considering this option very seriously, so that's why I mention it)

Best of luck, dahling!

If you know you want to do IM or FM NHSC is your best bet. Have you considered that?
I am 99.99% certain that I want to do FM/IM. I don't know anything about the NHSC. Can you tell me more about it?

You may also want to look up public service loan forgiveness (PSLF). It's in jeopardy right now (thanks, Congress), but it's still something to put a dent in your debt.

The military is also not a bad idea. You can do military full time or do reserves, which allows you to work as a civilian but with some part-time duties. However, I heard that it's best if you join this program not just for the money, but to serve your country as well. (I'm considering this option very seriously, so that's why I mention it)

Best of luck, dahling!
I don't want to be in the military for the sake of paying my student loan. I will look into the PSLF. Thanks..

I am 99.99% certain that I want to do FM/IM. I don't know anything about the NHSC. Can you tell me more about it?

Check out their website. They have a scholarship and a loan repayment program. Though I think that if you get the scholarship and then match into a residency that is not approved by NHSC, you have to pay them back 3x as much. Someone please correct me if this is completely wrong!

https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/

Reactions: 1 user
Check out NHSC (Google it). Who knows if the PSLF will be around for us. Unfortunately, you basically just have to take out the loans and try not to think about it. A lot of us are in the same boat and there's no miracle solution for the debt.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't want to be in the military for the sake of paying my student loan. I will look into the PSLF. Thanks..

Yeah, that sounds like a good plan. You may also want to check out the financial aid forum on Sdn. I've learned a lot about different loan repayment plans/PSLF and evaluating the pros and cons. I'm graduating pretty soon, so I've freaked myself out with repayment plans/financial planning/deferment/military/etc.

The big pieces of advice I can give you is to live frugally (believe me, it's harder than it seems when you're stressed out and desiring shop therapy), and don't even think about forbearing your loans during residency (that's when you put your loans off -- allowing interest to accrue and put you further into debt).

You also may want to google scholarships that are available (or talk with your financial aid office), but from what i saw they're very specific (for example: one required that you grew up in New Jersey and planning to go into anesthesia), and they probably won't put that much of a dent in your debt (they were from $500 to ~$2000 but still better than nothing). Sure, there may be larger ones, but I sure haven't heard of them. There are some school-specific scholarships and grants you may be eligible for (so make sure you negotiate accordingly).

Good luck! And congrats on getting into med school!

Yeah, that sounds like a good plan. You may also want to check out the financial aid forum on Sdn. I've learned a lot about different loan repayment plans/PSLF and evaluating the pros and cons. I'm graduating pretty soon, so I've freaked myself out with repayment plans/financial planning/deferment/military/etc.

The big pieces of advice I can give you is to live frugally (believe me, it's harder than it seems when you're stressed out and desiring shop therapy), and don't even think about forbearing your loans during residency (that's when you put your loans off -- allowing interest to accrue and put you further into debt).

You also may want to google scholarships that are available (or talk with your financial aid office), but from what i saw they're very specific (for example: one required that you grew up in New Jersey and planning to go into anesthesia), and they probably won't put that much of a dent in your debt (they were from $500 to ~$2000 but still better than nothing). Sure, there may be larger ones, but I sure haven't heard of them. There are some school-specific scholarships and grants you may be eligible for (so make sure you negotiate accordingly).

Good luck! And congrats on getting into med school!
Thanks for sharing all these info... I will look into everything to see if I can put a dent in my loan. Gook luck in your residency!

In general, which website did you guys find the most helpful for finding minority based medical school scholarships? I'm really struggling to find scholarships to apply to since I was accepted so late in the cycle. Thanks so much for your help!!