Has anyone been fired from a Scribe Position Immediately After Training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ignore the other guy about posting an old thread.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
No. Actually listen listen to him.

Its been dead for 2 years. Any advice is likely no longer relevant to OP's situation, and if you are seeking advice make a new post.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel you bro. My junior project leader (chief scribe) told me on my 3rd day of training that I wasn't up to their standards. There was no advance warning or an extra couple days for me to show improvement. They just said "we have to let you go because you're not up to our standards". To be fair, I was not capturing the full information in my documentation from the physician to the patient, but I was working super hard and really trying to get the whole multitasking thing down. Too bad I couldn't do anything about it. I just had to accept the decision and leave, but I was there was a second chance or some time for me to prove my worth the scribe company :(

Hey MDrocker -

Just an update on what ended up happening after I got let go. I waited 6 months & then reapplied and got placed at a different location with the same company that fired me the first time around. It ended up working out really well because I have been at my location for over a year and a half now and really like the doctors I work with. When I interviewed the 2nd time around - I shared my experience with the interviewer who also happened to be the regional manager & she felt sorry for the way I was treated during floor training the first time around but at the same time she told me that she wasn't surprised because the chief scribe who fired me wasn't really the best chief scribe since she was known to be not that nice and rude to new scribes that the company hired.

Anywho - I got hired the 2nd time around and it has been working out well since. Def a great experience and you learn a lot. My advice would be not to get too down about being let go because 1) you always can apply to another company & 2) you can reapply again to the same company. If you really wanted to - you can reach out to the regional manager in your area and let him/her know what happened about your situation and maybe they can rehire you.

Definitely don't let this get you too down b/c it's not worth it. While the experience is very valuable and a good learning experience - there are others things you can do like EMT, CNA, etc. that would allow you to get tons of patient contact. I made the mistake of overanalyzing why I got let go the first time etc. and was upset b/c this was my first time ever being "fired" from a job - but doing all of this just wasted my time and prevented me from moving on. So definitely try to move on and not think too much of it - I'm sure you'll find a better scribe position at another company or something even better :)

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
@sg808 Thank you for sharing you story back in 2014. It's unfortunate that no one at the time pointed out the fact that the difficulties of being a scribe tend to be attributed to it being a contract oriented job.The reason why they push you guys into long working hours is because they know you're dependent on the $$$ once you've been working with them for an entire year & they need to fulfill their obligation to the hospital in order to meet the demand of the physicians. Many people don't understand the difference in job quality when it comes to working in-house for the hospital versus working as a private contractor for the hospital. I worked as both an ER Scribe and an OR blood transfusion technician within hospitals as an outside contractor. I have also worked in-house as a CNA for a nursing home and at the same hospital where I was an ER Scribe.

Failing to accurately capture the HPI after the first day is pretty damning. If you are at a competitive location, then the chief scribe may be more than eager to cut you off if you can't adapt because you're eating away at human resources that could be spend on training several other scribes who just "get it." Failing to accurately document HPI gets compounded even further for certain scribes who then have trouble accurately completing the ROS, ED Course,and post write ups by the seventh day. It's sink or swim and as someone who has had healthcare experience in a private contractor setting I understood that it was an uphill battle.

What I disagree with is allotting a lot of blame on chief scribes for how they conduct the program when it's their job to manage the program in that manner. Unless someone is aware of how the program is doing (it is possible that the chief scribe is coming under scrutiny by either the hospital or the company for having poor charting results) then it's unfair to devalue the chief scribe for being aloof, uncaring, or running a tight ship. The same with doctors, it's no joke that doctors would feel defensive towards new hires who are charting their documents when they could get in trouble for a Level 4 chart instead of a billing at Level 5 or a majority of charts with CP that are the equivalent of potential malpractice landmines.

However, it's not accurate to say that a bad scribe experience is the equivalent to not being fit for healthcare. It is one differential among many and treating it as such will give you added insight that other applicants don't have into which specialty suits them. I understand from my work experience that an OR and ER environment are not ideal for me. I can jam with the best when I've got my game face on, but those aren't areas where I would have pursued a career on medicine if the option was still on the table.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No problem! Glad to share and glad that you as a fellow scribe understand what other scribes go through. When I initially posted this thread, I got jumped on by other posters saying that I was "entitled" & "neurotic" when they knew nothing of the story and what I went through. It turned out not to be my fault since I found out the person who let me go was described as being not the best and treated me unfairly from their superior and if my attitude, personality was a problem - I most likely wouldn't be hired again the 2nd time by the same company. My intent wasn't necessarily to blame the chief scribe when I made the initial post - but just to highlight how unfair and inept the training process can be - but then again I guess there's nothing that be done about that. Anyways, hopefully my story helps anyone who goes through the same situation I did.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@sg808 Another thing to emphasize from your story is that working in different locations can make a drastic difference. When you work for a private contracting company, certain sites don't have the same infrastructure or resources as the others for multiple reasons. Even working within the same company can produce drastically different results depending on where you go. People are too eager to take their personal work experience as Scribe X within Y setting without factoring in the diversity that comes with any scribe position within any department of any setting.

@MDrocker Feel free to PM me if you're unsure of how to proceed. As a disclaimer, I'm mostly familiar with how the job market is conducted in the upper east coast which may vary depending on your geographic location.