has anyone chosen to attend the wrong dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fruity_trident

in lala land
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,
(i posted this in the DENTAL forum too, so i can get responses from dent students who don't visit the pre-dent forum).

i applied to 15 schools, i am not a strong applicant and i really really really really want to go to dental school next year. i don't know if i will get in or not, but assuming that i get into some - how will i know if i'm going to the "right" school for me?

i am hoping to visiting these schools (if i get interviews)...but everything always seems peachy when you're visiting (just like clothes/shoes always look better on u @ the store).

does anyone wish that they attended a different school? has anyone transferred after attending another dental school? in fear of school rivalries, u can PM me about certain schools (if u have negative comments).

thanks.
i know this is a long winded msg, but i keep feeling that i went to the wrong school for undergrad...so i don't want to make the same "mistake", if i can call it that.
:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

thanks.
i know this is a long winded msg, but i keep feeling that i went to the wrong school for undergrad...so i don't want to make the same "mistake", if i can call it that.
:oops:[/QUOTE]

hey fruity - you and me both! our school is brutal :scared:

no input from anyone?...nooooo
somebody must be able to tell me SOMETHING, just like i'd be telling aspiring health professionals NOT to go to my school, unless u REALLY are a genius and u don't mind class averages @ the low 60's...and for 2 of my classes 54%!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Im assuming you guys are talking about good ole UofT....I feel your pain.

As far as regretting going to a dental school, this may not be the best place to come to, because you would probably have to talk with recent grads to get the best answers...

but from recent grads Ive talked to from various schools (which I wont mention), Ive come to the consensus that people who came from very expensive schools regret not going to a cheaper one if they had the choice, and also not getting enough clinical experience for the money they paid....

toothcaries said:
i look at school as the place to pick up the basics so that we can begin our lifelong "practice" of dentistry.

i'm not sure if there is a "wrong" dental school.

the 4 years go by very quickly...

...just get in somewhere.
anywhere.
the cheaper...the better.
;-)

learning the "basics" can vary significantly from school to school. By the way, I like your signature....have been thinking the same thing for the last 24 hours...

I agree, the church vote was ingenius.

It's funny that you guys need to find someone/group to blame it on. Have you ever once thought that the majority of the people LIKED the winning candidate more than the other, or that the "church" vote came to support the winning candidate and voted secondarily on the proposition....?????

Give it up already!!!!

fruity_trident said:
somebody must be able to tell me SOMETHING, just like i'd be telling aspiring health professionals NOT to go to my school, unless u REALLY are a genius and u don't mind class averages @ the low 60's...and for 2 of my classes 54%!!!!!
I'm not a genius. But I don't consider those schools bad schools. Most big schools do this.

IMO, bad schools are those that don't provide you sufficient knowledge for your career.

In choosing a school, I have also wondered if it will be the right decision. It is true that 4 years can go by quickly, and that 6 months after graduation the details of a program will be forgotten. However, no one wants to spend 4 years where they are at. I regretted my undergrad decision, and perhaps the only remedy is to put more thought into which school you want to go. If your options are limited, for whatever reason, I think that the desire to enter the profession should trump the risk of going to a school that may not be a perfect fit for you.

By the way, 100% voter turn out is irrelavant. The opinion of those who choose not to vote doesnt matter. All that matters is that, of the however many million people that decided to be exercise their civic responsibility, the majority decided that bush should stay.

luder98 said:
I'm not a genius. But I don't consider those schools bad schools. Most big schools do this.

IMO, bad schools are those that don't provide you sufficient knowledge for your career.

i'm not saying my school is BAD per se... :eek:

bspeedy00 said:
In choosing a school, I have also wondered if it will be the right decision. It is true that 4 years can go by quickly, and that 6 months after graduation the details of a program will be forgotten. However, no one wants to spend 4 years where they are at. I regretted my undergrad decision, and perhaps the only remedy is to put more thought into which school you want to go. If your options are limited, for whatever reason, I think that the desire to enter the profession should trump the risk of going to a school that may not be a perfect fit for you.

...so trumping it is...lol :rolleyes:
thanks for ur response, it helps! :thumbup:

"The opinion of those who choose not to vote doesnt matter"
I don't know about this statement considering anyone under 18, or not a legalized citizen yet probably have some good opinions. At the same time, Bush won fair and square, so sorry for all those kerry fans (btw I voted for Kerry).

toothcaries said:
...and republicans did a great job of getting out the church vote...
(there was a same sex marriage issue on the ballot.)
...actually it was genius.
How can you be sure that an equal number or more of non-church voter came out to the polls to opose the proposition?

fruity_trident said:

Averages in the 60s are not unusual at all for college unless you go to a small school. All my science classes in undergrad had averages in that range.

To the OP:

Two of my friends left Arizona and are pursuingn different schools. One of them is on SDN at "dinonuggets". Drop him a line and see if he responds.

Both left because the school didn't mesh really well with their personalities.

I think that in *most* cases, when students are a fair amount into their education they try to stick it out, rather than transfer or drop out.

ItsGavinC said:
To the OP:

Two of my friends left Arizona and are pursuingn different schools. One of them is on SDN at "dinonuggets". Drop him a line and see if he responds.

I think that in *most* cases, when students are a fair amount into their education they try to stick it out, rather than transfer or drop out.

Gavin, Do they have to start the application cycle over again?

ItsGavinC said:
To the OP:

thanks!

To Fruity:

I have a number of friends in dental school right now, and I think it is funny that when I talk to them they all say the same thing, "my school is the best and I wouldn't want to go anywhere else."

Right now we (you and me) are sitting on the outside of dental school looking in. We are constantly nit-picking and comparing all sorts of things about schools. It seems to me that once you are in dental school you just get into the routine of studying and working in the clinic. My dental student friends don't really have time to sit around and check out if the grass is greener on the other side.

A good school is one that you can afford and allows you to pass your boards.

msf41 said:
...don't really have time to sit around and check out if the grass is greener on the other side.

A good school is one that you can afford and allows you to pass your boards.

you are right...thanks.
gdluck w/ d-school