Has Anyone Done the Fifth Pathway Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.radha

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I will be graduating in May, and need to do my one year of internship. I have opted to do this in the US, and have heard a lot about the fifth pathway program. If anyone who reads this has done this program or has applied to it, I was wondering about what the program was like, how to make myself a good candidate, when to apply, and your email address if I have anymore questions, should the need arises. Thanks for you help!

Members don't see this ad.

Graduated from where? I think I remember in a post you said you were in school in India?

You are eligible for the 5th Pathway only if the school you attended (and the country where that school is located) requires a year of internship and a year of social service before you get your degree (like Mexico). If you have already received your MD, you are ineligible. Also, you must be a US citizen or permanent resident who has gone abroad for your education and want to return for your internship / residency. If both of these things (school & citizenship) aren't you -- then you have to go the regular ECFMG route, become ECFMG-certified, and apply for residency with all the other IMG's.

Go the the AMA's website, ECFMG section, and look up 5th Pathway. http://www.ama-assn.org/ and search for "Fifth Pathway."

If you meet the criteria, go to NY Medical College's site (they're the only one to offer 5th Pathway right now): http://www.nymc.edu/depthome/fifth.htm

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by dwstranger (edited 02-09-2001).]

Just to bring confirmation, this info is correct except that Puerto Rico also has a 5th PW for PR citizens only.

Members don't see this ad :)
If im not mistaken, PR citizens doesnt have to go through the year of intership because the program was eliminated by the ex-governor of the island some 2 or 3 years ago.
We just graduate and go on to our residency programs

Cool, thanks for updating my info.