This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlew18507

Michigan State CVM C/O 2023!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow pre-veterinary students. I have applied to vet schools for 2 years and this will be my third year. The second time I applied I got an interview and was wait listed. I am involved in a lot of extracurricular activities including aerial silks and Brazilian jiu jitsu. Since applying last year I also started practicing pole dance fitness and have been training hard and I am proud of my strength I have gained and what I can do. I want to add it to my application this year but part of me feels like there is still that stereotype when some people think of pole dance fitness and I am not sure that it will help me or hurt me this year when applying. I am looking for advice on whether or not to include it and if anyone else has every included it in their application and what response they received from it. I am conflicted. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hello fellow pre-veterinary students. I have applied to vet schools for 2 years and this will be my third year. The second time I applied I got an interview and was wait listed. I am involved in a lot of extracurricular activities including aerial silks and Brazilian jiu jitsu. Since applying last year I also started practicing pole dance fitness and have been training hard and I am proud of my strength I have gained and what I can do. I want to add it to my application this year but part of me feels like there is still that stereotype when some people think of pole dance fitness and I am not sure that it will help me or hurt me this year when applying. I am looking for advice on whether or not to include it and if anyone else has every included it in their application and what response they received from it. I am conflicted. Thank you

Are you the instructor? If not, then if you have done a lot of extracurricular activities before and it's not what your application needs (have you done a file review?) then I wouldn't put it. If your application needed more vet experience, then that's what you need to put and I think potentially adding stuff outside of that could potentially be detrimental. However, you should be proud of the strength you've gained so if you want to put it, you might want to say that you're a "Fitness Enthusiast" or something like that because how you got the strength (the activity) doesn't matter all that matters is the hours put into it :)

There was someone on here who did pole (I've done them myself but once in vet school and I honestly wish I could find a place to fit it in more routinely) but I can't remember her username (it was lostbunny on fitocracy way back when we had that fitocracy group going) but I haven't seen her around here for probably a few years at this point to know if it's anything that was included in applications.

But overall, I agree that I don't think it would add much if it's not your extracurriculars that's lacking. If it seems appropriate, it may be a fun conversation piece but not sure it will make that difference you're looking for it to make.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Could easily be rolled into an extracurricular with the aerials to take a little bit of emphasis off of the pole component.

Also, :highfive: to a fellow pole person. I'm just getting back into it after a hiatus during clinicals and starting to work in the real world, ****'s fun and you do really get so strong.

Yeah I want to emphasize that there SHOULDN'T BE ANY SHAME in doing pole workouts!!! But no matter how much there shouldn't be any shame, there unfortunately sometimes is :( It's not fair in the slightest but those are the kinds of things you need to account for in life sometimes :(

Reactions: 1 user
I did pole dancing and categorized it as general dance because I have also done salsa and bachata.

Yeah I want to emphasize that there SHOULDN'T BE ANY SHAME in doing pole workouts!!! But no matter how much there shouldn't be any shame, there unfortunately sometimes is :( It's not fair in the slightest but those are the kinds of things you need to account for in life sometimes :(
That is exactly how I feel. I am still trying to get over even talking about it because my family doesn't approve either. Which is why I am conflicted about including it. =[

Are you the instructor? If not, then if you have done a lot of extracurricular activities before and it's not what your application needs (have you done a file review?) then I wouldn't put it. If your application needed more vet experience, then that's what you need to put and I think potentially adding stuff outside of that could potentially be detrimental. However, you should be proud of the strength you've gained so if you want to put it, you might want to say that you're a "Fitness Enthusiast" or something like that because how you got the strength (the activity) doesn't matter all that matters is the hours put into it :)
One of the reasons I wanted to add it to my application is because I want to show how many activities I can do and still be able to do everything I need to do. But I have been back and forth about it because I am afraid whoever sees my application will see that and immediately be like NOPE!

I did pole dancing and categorized it as general dance because I have also done salsa and bachata.
Did you say pole dancing at all in the application? or did you just do general dance hours?

Could easily be rolled into an extracurricular with the aerials to take a little bit of emphasis off of the pole component.

Also, :highfive: to a fellow pole person. I'm just getting back into it after a hiatus during clinicals and starting to work in the real world, ****'s fun and you do really get so strong.
Haha thanks I am proud of what I can do and how strong I have become! It is fun and I wish there wasn't the stereotype along with it! So I am thinking about making the aerial silks category into Aerial arts and then talk about silks and pole together maybe??

There was someone on here who did pole (I've done them myself but once in vet school and I honestly wish I could find a place to fit it in more routinely) but I can't remember her username (it was lostbunny on fitocracy way back when we had that fitocracy group going) but I haven't seen her around here for probably a few years at this point to know if it's anything that was included in applications.

But overall, I agree that I don't think it would add much if it's not your extracurriculars that's lacking. If it seems appropriate, it may be a fun conversation piece but not sure it will make that difference you're looking for it to make.
There really isn't anything in that area that is lacking according to the schools. I just kind of wanted to add it to be able to show that I can do all of these activities and still function normally and stuff like that. I am just nervous it will hurt more than add. I was thinking about grouping that with silks into like Aerial Arts and talk about them together? I don't really know what to do. =[

That is exactly how I feel. I am still trying to get over even talking about it because my family doesn't approve either. Which is why I am conflicted about including it. =[
If you love it then you should do it!!! :D If it makes you happy then screw their opinion of it!! However, just call it something else in your application :D

I mean this kindly, but I honestly don't think it's going to help your application to include one relatively small thing like that in it. It's definitely NOT worth the risk of some stuffy adcom member getting offended. Call it something mundane like "strength training" or "special interest fitness class" or whatever.

Reactions: 2 users