Has anyone every chosen a private school over an in state ? Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LionDDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure at least one person has done it

I took a class with someone who chose NYU over his state school which would have been about half the price.

He was the kind of person that based his decision off of location, which is perfectly fine. All of the factors should be considered, including price, but I think the most important things are making sure that you're going somewhere where you'll be happy and where you'll receive a quality dental education to set yourself up for your career.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely, you have to think many of those students at Harvard, Penn, & Columbia had acceptances at their state schools and passed them up for an "ivy league education". Only you can determine if the price difference is worth the perceived value of one school over another, which is easier said than done. As a predent you don't really know that much about the schools and how opportunities at one may help you toward your future. Often what you think you want to do as a predent doesn't align with what you will want to / be qualified to do after graduation.

Personally, I chose my state school because the tangible cost difference was much easier to quantify than all the intangibles (p/f curriculum, student body, curriculum differences, externship/rotation opportunities, etc).

Reactions: 1 user
Absolutely, you have to think many of those students at Harvard, Penn, & Columbia had acceptances at their state schools and passed them up for an "ivy league education". Only you can determine if the price difference is worth the perceived value of one school over another, which is easier said than done. As a predent you don't really know that much about the schools and how opportunities at one may help you toward your future. Often what you think you want to do as a predent doesn't align with what you will want to / be qualified to do after graduation.

Personally, I chose my state school because the tangible cost difference was much easier to quantify than all the intangibles (p/f curriculum, student body, curriculum differences, externship/rotation opportunities, etc).
I also know quite a few people that have chosen the military route so they are not as concerned with finances and most of them have chosen to go to private schools.

always, always choose your state school over a private school. or choose a state school which you can eventually declare ''in state''. and i guess if you get into an ivy league there's always that 'what if' possibility you may have in specializing

i can count the number of people who chose private institutions over state schools on 2 hands (maybe) of the 200+ people i know at my school. it's not worth it at all, unless money really isn't a concern. work hard now, suck it up and go to a cheaper school so you can enjoy life later. don't saddle yourself with an absurd amount of debt to just 'enjoy' 4 years of school in some city/town which you probably won't get to even explore as much because you'll be neck deep in schoolwork.

for me, i didn't have much of a choice. it was either ~90k at a few other schools, and roughly 110k at my current school. i chose the 110k school and the military route. there's not a day that goes by where i'm not thankful that i have this opportunity. if circumstances were different, i probably would have deferred for a year and reapplied to my state school

Last edited:
Dental school is a solid 4 years of your life though, that's a huge chunk of time..... if you're going to be a happier person because of the location of a private school I would gladly choose it over a state school in a place I wouldnt like.

@xerxes106 very true. but enjoy 4 years and spend how many more paying your loans back? gonna be at least 10 years

True. But I may be a romantic here in saying you can always get more money, you'll never be able to go back in time and re-live your four years dental school in a place you actually wanted to be.

It's more a matter of where your priorities are. Living in a crappy city/town for low tuition and/or good education is definitely "smart", but wanting to be in a place where you think you will be happy is justified as well.

Personally, I would rather go somewhere where I'll be happy and feel comfortable, screw the money, we'll all make enough eventually.

Reactions: 2 users
Dental school is a solid 4 years of your life though, that's a huge chunk of time..... if you're going to be a happier person because of the location of a private school I would gladly choose it over a state school in a place I wouldnt like.

it's a delicate balance between what you want and what you are willing to pay.
You can't always have what you want. Just because you like the location doesn't mean that is necessarily the happiest choice for you, and just because it's cheapest, it doesn't mean it's the best choice. There's gotta be a certain balance between the two so that it is both affordable and likable.

there has to be a certain balance, i agree, but again, to me sacrificing 4 years at a cheaper school is worth it vs. 10+ years of being in the hole. assuming you want to pay back your loans aggressively, you'll be struggling later on. you may say it's important to 'get the most out of your 20s' or something, but you've gotta live the rest of your life too ya know. what about kids?family? mortgage? paying for college?

4 years is not a huge chunk of time. Pay 400k for that location and you will find out what a huge chunk of time it takes to pay if off.

Reactions: 1 users
Rich Kids do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk