Has anyone gotten into an MD school with a 3.5 overall GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILOVEMED123

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want blunt answers. If u think u got in because of ur MCAT, what was your MCAT?

Or if you think it was because of something else, please specify.

Members don't see this ad.

Does a 3.58 vs a 3.6 make all the difference? Sometimes you just can't practically take one more class to bring it up prior to applying. Do some schools have a 3.6 screening process?

Members don't see this ad :)
The median GPA for MD schools is 3.6. therefore, LOTS of people have gotten in with a 3.5 and even lower. No one gets in due to MCAT or GPA only. Those two combined get you to the door, but the entire package, especially your ECs, get you in the door.

MSAR Online is your friend.

I want blunt answers. If u think u got in because of ur MCAT, what was your MCAT?

Maybe the top 10 do.

Does a 3.58 vs a 3.6 make all the difference? Sometimes you just can't practically take one more class to bring it up prior to applying. Do some schools have a 3.6 screening process?

Reactions: 1 users
I hear that. But just by looking at that chart, it obviously give you an advantage to have a 3.6 vs a 3.58... the 3.6 acceptance stats are higher

Ugh. I am trying to figure out whether I should keep taking classes to get it to that 3.6 threshold, or I should leave it alone and do only what I can do. I wonder if a 3.6 vs a 3.58 makes any significant difference.

Ugh. I am trying to figure out whether I should keep taking classes to get it to that 3.6 threshold, or I should leave it alone and do only what I can do. I wonder if a 3.6 vs a 3.58 makes any significant difference.
1) If you think taking on an extra class will be too much to handle, how are you operating on the assumption that you'll do well and improve your GPA? Don't risk bringing your rather good GPA down to something less desirable.
2) 3.6 vs. 3.58 constitutes almost no difference. Your application will never ride on such a small difference as that.

Don't kill yourself or your GPA trying to get a pretty round number.

Really wish my 3.5 was a bit higher but there's not much I can do about it now as a non-traditional applicant! I've seen a bunch of people with 3.7-4.0 limit their chances by not scoring high enough on the MCAT, though. Keep it around 3.5-3.6 and get that MCAT near 30 or above and you should be OK!

At the end of the day a 3.6 vs a 3.58 won't be the difference between acceptance and rejection. There are many people with 3.5s that get in over people with 3.6s because their MCAT/ECs are better. Sometimes, there are people with lower MCATs and GPAs that get in over those with higher scores because of a better holistic application. IMO it would seem a better use of your time to get involved in a significant EC than take classes that might raise your GPA 0.02 points.

I would be curious about how many students with a 3.5 gpa AND

-otherwise average stats get into an
-MD school
-via traditional route (no "back door" methods)
-in the USA
-other than their state school and
-other than the Caribbean?

???

1) If you think taking on an extra class will be too much to handle, how are you operating on the assumption that you'll do well and improve your GPA? Don't risk bringing your rather good GPA down to something less desirable.
2) 3.6 vs. 3.58 constitutes almost no difference. Your application will never ride on such a small difference as that.

Don't kill yourself or your GPA trying to get a pretty round number.

Not what I meant. But my schedule is basically set, and to trying to squeeze in maybe a 3-credit summer class prior to my MCAT will bring it to a 3.6. But its a little crazy, not sure that will work with the MCAT exam date, etc. I am sure many premeds can relate to this question I'm having. Its sorta that "I wanna do it all" approach, but in terms of practically working out, I'm not sure I can. But if that 3.6 WILL make a difference, I will try and get it there without delaying a year to applying (cuz I wouldn't wanna delay applying).

Not what I meant. But my schedule is basically set, and to trying to squeeze in maybe a 3-credit summer class prior to my MCAT will bring it to a 3.6. But its a little crazy, not sure that will work with the MCAT exam date, etc. I am sure many premeds can relate to this question I'm having. Its sorta that "I wanna do it all" approach, but in terms of practically working out, I'm not sure I can. But if that 3.6 WILL make a difference, I will try and get it there without delaying a year to applying (cuz I wouldn't wanna delay applying).
I still don't think that a 3.58 vs. 3.6 will make a difference. And based on the bolded text, it doesn't seem like a good idea. Completely hypothetical situation here but let's say that you take that extra class and it affords you less MCAT prep time each day. A 3.6 GPA with a 30 MCAT is not nearly as strong as a 3.58 with a 33 MCAT. Generally speaking, according to the LizzyM formula that people use to combine the MCAT and GPA into one number, one MCAT point is the equivalent of a tenth of a GPA point (ie. 3.7, 30 approximately equals a 3.6, 31). Obviously you want both of these numbers to be somewhat balanced (you don't want a 4.0, 27). Basically, don't overload yourself and allow your MCAT score to suffer - it is equally important in terms of admissions, especially for a 0.02 GPA increase.

Reactions: 1 user

-MD school
-in the USA

???

Why the heck are you putting such ridiculous conditions on this? No state schools? That's pretty stupid.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

-MD school
-in the USA

???

As a person with a 3.5 and otherwise average stats besides MCAT, I hope a lot of students

Some of the decision depends on your school and major. A 3.5 in engineering at MIT is not the same as a 3.5 in Biology from Boston University.
I had marginal grades (3.4x/3.5x) from a known soul crushing grade deflator without +/- grades, mostly average ECs and a great MCAT. I got in to several schools, including the top 20. I had some interesting things in my experience and I emphasized them.
I'm also handsome and charming and I had a nice tan for the interview. That didn't hurt either.

Reactions: 4 users
I hear that. But just by looking at that chart, it obviously give you an advantage to have a 3.6 vs a 3.58... the 3.6 acceptance stats are higher

It's because of the artificial groupings made by the person doing the modelling. They needed breakpoints somewhere, and 3.6 is a logical breakpoint. Don't over-analyze

Reactions: 3 users
It's because of the artificial groupings made by the person doing the modelling. They needed breakpoints somewhere, and 3.6 is a logical breakpoint. Don't over-analyze
The inability to understand statistical analysis doesn't bode well. Perhaps an algorithm based midlevel career would be best. :p

Reactions: 6 users
Some of the decision depends on your school and major. A 3.5 in engineering at MIT is not the same as a 3.5 in Biology from Boston University.
I had marginal grades (3.4x/3.5x) from a known soul crushing grade deflator without +/- grades, mostly average ECs and a great MCAT. I got in to several schools, including the top 20. I had some interesting things in my experience and I emphasized them.
I'm also handsome and charming and I had a nice tan for the interview. That didn't hurt either.
:love:

According to that, 4 people actually got in with an MCAT between 5 and 14...what?!

Must have had a 4.0, PhD from Harvard/MIT, 20 first author pubs in Nature/NEJM/Cell/Science, spent time on the international space station, speaks 10 languages, 10,000 hours of clinical volunteering, etc

Reactions: 2 users

Yeah, MIT has a 5.0 scale, rather than a 4.0 scale.

The rank myth:
Seriously speaking, MIT has some of the best professors in the world who are EASIER to learn from. In fact, many of MIT's classes are online complete with midterms, finals, and lectures right here: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/free-stuff/1247592/ Take a class for yourself and compare. If you are in the Boston area, note that MIT's libraries are all open to the public. Here's a list of MIT's libraries with their hours and maps: http://libraries.mit.edu/hours/ I think you will agree that these are wonderful study facilities. Many lower ranked schools cannot even compare to the quality of instruction and quality of study areas/libraries offered by MIT. And MIT's tests are NO MORE DIFFICULT as you can see for yourself.

Personally, I was surprised when I took my first classes at an ivy league that they seemed easier than the non-ivy league classes I took. It was because of the quality of instruction and academic support. And I learned more.

Another myth I would like to knock out:
Some colleges collect data on the grade-spread for all of the different majors they offer. Engineering is NOT always the lowest on that list.

A final point:
Lastly, some ADCOMs have told me that they are open to hearing about individual circumstances where a student follows his or her passion and chooses a major based on passion and interest, despite NOT having previous training or skill in that area (comparable to his or her classmates). Example, a poor disadvantaged student majoring in music with no previous music lessons and without the ability to read music joins a freshman class full of students who've had life long lessons.

uGPA was 3.31. Currently at an MD school and doing fine. I have some extra EC's + grad degree that likely got me in.

I'll let you know because I'm applying this cycle with a 3.57/3.53 and a 35. High grades overall except an ATROCIOUS freshman year, hoping schools take the time to notice the trend...

I'll let you know because I'm applying this cycle with a 3.57/3.53 and a 35. High grades overall except an ATROCIOUS freshman year, hoping schools take the time to notice the trend...
Your stats are good for many schools, assuming you have a well-rounded application otherwise and have a good PS/LORs/Secondaries/Interview, you should be able to get into a school as long as your school list is well targeted.

Your stats are good for many schools, assuming you have a well-rounded application otherwise and have a good PS/LORs/Secondaries/Interview, you should be able to get into a school as long as your school list is well targeted.

That's what everyone here and IRL has said, and I do have a great application otherwise...its just discouraging/unnerving what a single bad semester can do to your GPA.

Sorry this is a little late to a game, but where did all of you apply that had a 3.5/ where would you recommend applying?

how did it go?

I got multiple MD acceptances with a 3.27 and a 34 MCAT. Also did peace corps and had a mean upward trend.

@Gauss44 is right. I was terrified to take my first ivy league grad class, but really the only difference between it and my undergrad (ranked in the 40s) was the level of instruction and resources provided.

Sorry this is a little late to a game, but where did all of you apply that had a 3.5/ where would you recommend applying?

Your state school(s). Mid-tier MD schools. Low-tier MD schools. Maybe a couple top 20 schools in your area just because. Depends on your MCAT as well. Below average MCAT score = should probably apply DO only. Above average MCAT score = can probably get away with applying MD only. Average MCAT score = apply to a mix of both.

I got multiple MD acceptances with a 3.27 and a 34 MCAT. Also did peace corps and had a mean upward trend.

Significant ECs like this can swing things in your favor if you play them right and interview well.

3.53 uGPA, 26 MCAT is what I finally got in with.

MD school acceptance at my top choice which did happen to be my state school which I wanted to get into more than than any of the private schools I applied to over the four years, so worked out ok for me. (That state school has so much going for it, it's incredible.) Over the years, I applied to one DO school that rejected me post-interview, applied internationally was rejected without interview, yet kept getting interviews/waitlists at various domestic MD schools.

@Gauss44 is right. I was terrified to take my first ivy league grad class, but really the only difference between it and my undergrad (ranked in the 40s) was the level of instruction and resources provided.

Ivy League grad courses are also graded easier than Ivy League undergrad courses. It's no secret in my department that grad courses hand out many As, given that you actually put forth moderate effort. Why? Because everybody in academia knows that grad course grades mean next to nothing when you come up for post-doctoral fellowships, etc. Your research and who your adviser is matters much, much more. So undergrads in my department actually benefit from taking grad courses.

3.53 uGPA, 26 MCAT is what I finally got in with.

MD school acceptance at my top choice which did happen to be my state school which I wanted to get into more than than any of the private schools I applied to over the four years, so worked out ok for me. (That state school has so much going for it, it's incredible.) Over the years, I applied to one DO school that rejected me post-interview, applied internationally was rejected without interview, yet kept getting interviews/waitlists at various domestic MD schools.

Are you URM?

Are you URM?

Mixed race.

3/4 white (German and Italian), 1/4 Surinamese which is very mixed race.

I normally look Middle Eastern or white which is what most white people think I am. People who are not white almost always ask what my background is. I definitely don't look like I am from around here!

Mixed race.

3/4 white (German and Italian), 1/4 Surinamese which is very mixed race.

I normally look Middle Eastern or white which is what most white people think I am. People who are not white almost always ask what my background is. I definitely don't look like I am from around here!

Ah that def isn't urm though.

Ah that def isn't urm though.

I personally identify with the URM phrase but not everyone thinks I should. I just write down what it is and let the adcomms decide what to count me as. They can count me as URM or not, it's their decision.

My Surinamese side came from freed slaves in Surinam. If most of my friends or the adcomms saw a true family portrait with all the pretty skin hues, no one would believe it!

I personally identify with the URM phrase but not everyone thinks I should. I just write down what it is and let the adcomms decide what to count me as. They can count me as URM or not, it's their decision.

My Surinamese side came from freed slaves in Surinam. If most of my friends or the adcomms saw a true family portrait with all the pretty skin hues, no one would believe it!

fair enough

Maybe it's BS/MD students who just need to take the MCAT and get a score on file?

Thats not how BS/MD programs work usually. The whole benefit and large factor of going to one of those is to AVOID the MCAT. In fact certain programs at on of my state schools emphasize this as one of the benefits lol.

Thats not how BS/MD programs work usually. The whole benefit and large factor of going to one of those is to AVOID the MCAT. In fact certain programs at on of my state schools emphasize this as one of the benefits lol.
Meh. It varies. I got into MedStart (Michigan Tech/Wayne State), UIC GPPA, and SLU Med Scholars. All of them had super different policies.

I did not even know there was a country called Surinam. :[

I did not even know there was a country called Surinam. :[

In all fairness, most people I know don't know what continent it is on assuming they know it is a country.

It's a small country in South America which is also called Dutch Guiana. My great grandfather and great grandmother used to say Dutch West Indies. Not far from Brazil and the other Guianas. It is also spelled with an e at the end. I am just old fashioned I think as I hate the e.

We have a very interesting history there.