Has anyone had to do the FAFSA verification/audit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simpleton

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a think envelope from the med school I will be attending. I was like wtf. I know I know it's random but it's too suspicious because my parents make an obscenely low amount so of all people I guess they should audit myslef. Anyways its a pain in the rear and I'm going to have to work hard to have it done before the school's deadline because it can be processed until it's completed, returned, and verified. This sucks and would like to hear from anyone else who's dealing w/ this for their MED school not undergrad. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

many schools require you to send in all 1040s,w2 and other documentation, this is not an audit...last year I got audited by the government (which is random) and I had to send copies of my W2 and 1040 to them....luckily I hadn't put my parents info on so I only had to send my documents.

yeah, same thing happened to me last year... it's a bit of a pain in the a$$, i know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools will require you to submit 1040s and W-2s, as was already posted. If you selected for verification, it may be one of the random 30% of forms that are selected every year, or it may be due to conflicting information on the FAFSA, which triggers VF. If you have filed a FAFSA already with correct income information, then submit what your school needs ASAP and you should have no problems.

electra

I have been "picked" for verification for the last three years. What are the odds of this occurring if it is purely random? I don't know what is the big deal. I don't get **** outside of scholarships, and I doubt I'll get anything during medical school.
Cane

It happens, irregardless of what you put on your forms. It happened to me, too, and I don't get any grants at all...just federal aid. It's a random process, although quite a pain.